Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

We need Foyth 100% now as the whole Konsa to RB rotation idea is out the question now. 

Foyth was useless in his previous Premier League stint. If he is the answer then the club have massively failed this window

14 minutes ago, WHY said:

To be fair we were missing 3 players in Ramsey, Moreno and Buendia who all played when we destroyed them at VP and then lost Mings. You take 4 starters out the Newcastle team and that chain looks different. Not saying that Newcastle haven’t got a stronger squad btw. In reality they should have having spent £500m in the last 18 months.

I said something similar to this in the match thread. Take Tripper, Joelinton and Almiron  out of that Newcastle team and then Botman mid game, at full strength at Villa Park we’d batter them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WHY said:

To be fair we were missing 3 players in Ramsey, Moreno and Buendia who all played when we destroyed them at VP and then lost Mings. You take 4 starters out the Newcastle team and that chain looks different. Not saying that Newcastle haven’t got a stronger squad btw. In reality they should have having spent £500m in the last 18 months.

Good point.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I said something similar to this in the match thread. Take Tripper, Joelinton and Almiron  out of that Newcastle team and then Botman mid game, at full strength at Villa Park we’d batter them.

I was speaking to a Newcastle fan after we battered  them at VP and he said it would’ve been a different game if Sean Longstaff had started that game. Most deluded fans in football, can’t stand them. 

Edited by WHY

I know some don't like Mings but for me he was always the first outfield name on the team sheet, he's absolutely crucial and our record without him since we were promoted is calamitous, it's like 1 win in 20 or something. If he's out for the season it can't be ignored, maybe Carlos is the answer but we don't really know for sure due to his injury, and I'm not convinced a back 2 of Pau and Konsa will work as neither are strong aerially and that will be exposed over the course of a season. We either need a centre back as a like for like replacement or a right back and drop the idea of Konsa playing there. We were linked tenuously with Foyth the other day, perhaps a sensible option as he knows Emery's system, has some PL experience (although not great experience) and crucially would cover both right back and centre back so ticks two boxes. If he's available though is another question entirely

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Foyth was useless in his previous Premier League stint. If he is the answer then the club have massively failed this window

I mean i could write you a long list of players who failed when they were young and inexperienced. 

3 hours ago, calcifer said:

Still think we need a clinical striker that can push Watkins. But that is going to cost some money. Newcastle spent a hefty sum on their new forward but will reap the benefit this season. 

Will be better investing in a RB possibly another CB now. But to push on we do need another forward. 

Should not even be a matter of debate, if you ask me. We can't go on in this state if we want to remain in the top 7 -- and if we try, we won't. It's just so obvious that we need a striker, an RB, and a wide LM or left wing NOW NOW NOW.

3 hours ago, calcifer said:

Still think we need a clinical striker that can push Watkins. But that is going to cost some money. Newcastle spent a hefty sum on their new forward but will reap the benefit this season. 

Will be better investing in a RB possibly another CB now. But to push on we do need another forward. 

Judging by today's performance there are higher priorities than pushing Watkins, a replacement for Bailey, Cash and unfortunately Mings are the main standouts, and possibly a defensive midfielder to send a rocket up Kamara's arse too. 

However based on the rate of ACL injuries we're picking up no doubt by Tuesday tea time Watkins will have injured himself and will be out for the season as well so yeah maybe we do need someone

Edited by david-avfc

I’d be kicking in the front door at Leeds to offer them 40m for both Adams & Gnonto. I’d also be knocking on the door at Man U to see if they’d sell Wan-Bissaka?

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

Just now, striker said:

I’d be kicking in the front door at Leeds to offer them 40m for both Adams & Gnonto. I’d also be knocking on the door at Man U to see if they’d sell Wan-Bissaka?

I wouldnt do any of that especially that piece of shit Gnonto who has pretty much refused to play

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt do any of that especially that piece of shit Gnonto who has pretty much refused to play

Nothing out of the ordinary… many players pull that stuff to get moves.

Nakamba went on strike to join us!! 😂
I think Benteke did too…

Not really interested in him anyway, we need a LOT better to enhance our side. We need impactful quality, not potential…

Edited by Jas10

I don't think there are any perfect solutions to our dilemmas after today. We can't just wave the magic transfer wand and make it all go away. I think it's way unrealistic to expect some masterstroke of transfer genius will make it all better.

That said, I'm open to magic wands

Spoiler

... and here comes Kenneth.

My assumption would be that we are not going to be able to buy 3 new players as people seem to be suggesting; sooner or later (and I suspect sooner) we're going to hit real budget constraints. We might not get to watch Mings and Buendia this season but we still have to pay them. 

I don't know what the maximum number of loans we can have is, but that would seem to be a more promising direction than purchases. If we have enough money to buy one player it should be a RB since that's a position we have essentially no depth, and isn't replacing an injured player who will (hopefully) be back next season. 

• Like 1

Do we really know how much we have to spend? Has anyone done the maths? Are there maths? I wish there was some authoritative way of calculating the possibilities that was exact, or that an enterprising journalist would offer a guess somewhere.

With the greatest respect, I get the feeling none of us have a clue -- I certainly don't. And really, could we know?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do we really know how much we have to spend? Has anyone done the maths? Are there maths? I wish there was some authoritative way of calculating the possibilities that was exact, or that an enterprising journalist would offer a guess somewhere.

With the greatest respect, I get the feeling none of us have a clue -- I certainly don't. And really, could we know?

Does it matter? It's out of our control anyway. Just relax and see what happens

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1