Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

All open to interpretation. My take is they discussed how to mitigate Buendia injury which is what he started out saying. So how do we adapt the squad as Zaniolo isn't like for like as he's left footed and more a dribbler. So how do they shift plans if we added him etc..

Further to this he states how they need a squad if 20 or 22 plus goal keepers. So two per position or enough versatile players that we can go with say 7 defenders for example. 

So I am assuming they saw Buendia injured and out. They are also looking to move AJ and Archer on to fund a striker to compete with Watkins.

So they probably have looked at how we can adapt the squad. Zaniolo is versatile and is available on Loan. Why don't we get him in and we can potentially use Tielemans and Bailey in LM more than we had originally planned with Zaniolo in RM and second striker. Meaning we adapt Mcginn and Diaby a bit more for Right side. 

They probably agreed the rejigged roles and the fact Ramsey is coming back soon and is a key player for us in LM already. They probably went with we'll go for Zaniolo and now focus on Striker who doesn't need versatility to compete with Watkins.

That's the kind of thinking they are doing. The squad 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Further to this he states how they need a squad if 20 or 22 plus goal keepers. So two per position or enough versatile players that we can go with say 7 defenders for example. 

So I am assuming they saw Buendia injured and out. They are also looking to move AJ and Archer on to fund a striker to compete with Watkins.

So they probably have looked at how we can adapt the squad. Zaniolo is versatile and is available on Loan. Why don't we get him in and we can potentially use Tielemans and Bailey in LM more than we had originally planned with Zaniolo in RM and second striker. Meaning we adapt Mcginn and Diaby a bit more for Right side. 

They probably agreed the rejigged roles and the fact Ramsey is coming back soon and is a key player for us in LM already. They probably went with we'll go for Zaniolo and now focus on Striker who doesn't need versatility to compete with Watkins.

That's the kind of thinking they are doing. The squad 

Philogene maybe being considered more for LM now too. I'm still not 100% sure we get a new striker though or if Unai is happy with Duran and maybe Zaniolo doing the job with Diaby and Bailey as second striker options. Personally I would like one though.

We’ve got one of the best managers in the world to deal with the Buendia injury. Whilst Unai will clearly be disappointed to lose him, there’s probably a part of him that sees it as an opportunity to implement a change in set up.

He’s a ‘let’s see what I can do with the tools I have got first’ type of guy, rather than a manager who has a set template that he tries to get to as soon as possible.  But that said, don’t doubt that he will use this situation to improve us, both for now and when Emi comes back.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

We’ve got one of the best managers in the world to deal with the Buendia injury. Whilst Unai will clearly be disappointed to lose him, there’s probably a part of him that sees it as an opportunity to implement a change in set up.

He’s a ‘let’s see what I can do with the tools I have got first’ type of guy, rather than a manager who has a set template that he tries to get to as soon as possible.  But that said, don’t doubt that he will use this situation to improve us, both for now and when Emi comes back.

As our esteemed former PM Bojo, once said:

"There are no disasters, only opportunities."

That bit of the quote was good, but he rather messed it up by revealing his true nature with the second part...

"And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters."

Let's hope it's the first part and not the second that applies to our relationship with Nicolo.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Philogene maybe being considered more for LM now too. I'm still not 100% sure we get a new striker though or if Unai is happy with Duran and maybe Zaniolo doing the job with Diaby and Bailey as second striker options. Personally I would like one though.

I think the young players are additional to the squad need. So Philogene, Duran and Iroegbunam might be the three staying around. 

We've 8 senior defenders

If we include Bailey as a wide midfielder we've got 7 midfielders after losing Buendia

Leaves us with three forwards if we include Coutinho as a forward. 

So we need a midfielder and a Striker to get us to 22 senior players. Zaniolo would be one 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skarroki said:

I just think it's easy to say they're bad because there's no proof yet that they're good. I don't think they'll be pulling up trees anytime soon but there's no way they'll be below top 10 with some of the dross this season.

Brentford have lost there two best players, so have Brighton, who else finished above them, Palace? Now without Zaha and with the 92 year old Hodgson back for more.

Most teams bottom half have regressed, I've got back from Burnley vs Man City tonight and just watched the most championship standard team I've seen in the Prem for a while, just without any height, physicality or ability on set peices. Sheffield United are actively trying to get relegated by flogging their only good players and Luton are shopping in league 1 and lower championship.

Chelsea have potential world stars in their team, you can only say that about 3 or 4 sides in the league. 

Could I qualify my statement by saying "compared to their more recent past, they are nowhere near as strong and will struggle to finish in a European spot this season in my opinion". Obviously all professional footballers in this league are disgustingly talented and in another country they would dominate.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Play different positions plus I dont think we were ever in for a striker this window

It was heavily reported that Tammy was pretty much nailed on to join us, then he got injured. 
Personally think we are in the market for a striker

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It was heavily reported that Tammy was pretty much nailed on to join us, then he got injured. 
Personally think we are in the market for a striker

Personally don't think we are. Emery let Ings go because he wanted game time and Emery wanted Watkins play every game and signed Diaby to play support striker role of Bailey last season and literally said Diaby can play several positions including striker. Said wants to retain Archer and Duran so unless that changes...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

No Foyth to Barca by the looks of it

So glad we didn’t get Alemany in hindsight. 

Some clubs seem to not want to deal with the guy and I still can’t put my finger on what he’s trying to do at Barca this window. 

Edited by Steero113

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Some clubs seem to not want to deal with the guy and I still can’t put my finger on what he’s trying to do at Barca this window. 

To be fair it's a weird translation: the article itself doesn't suggest it's personal, just that Villareal would only sell Foyth if the release clause was met and are therefore refusing to negotiate on any other terms.

Still prefer Monchi, though. The beautiful bald man.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

So glad we avoided this circus tbh

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Doesn't seem sensible to go for a boom or bust when we aren't desperate.

Surely that’s exactly the right time to go for a boom or bust? Get the boom then great, get the bust you still aren’t desperate?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was just about to say, we may have a dodged a bullet.

Seems a right dodgy prick, even LOOKS like one lol.

I mean Monchi kind of looks a prick as well, but more in an aggressive way, than in a rat type dodgy way like Alemany haha

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was just about to say, we may have a dodged a bullet.

Seems a right dodgy prick, even LOOKS like one lol.

I mean Monchi kind of looks a prick as well, but more in an aggressive way, than in a rat type dodgy way like Alemany haha

You would not drive into the desert with Monchi on the back of some convoluted reason he came up with to do so 

• Haha 3