Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

As reported by Tuttosport via TMW, Juventus could end up selling Iling-Junior this summer as both Everton and Aston Villa are interested in making a move for the English teenager.

https://football-italia.net/everton-and-aston-villa-set-sights-on-juventus-talent-iling-junior/

I’d say a much more realistic, cheaper and perhaps more suitable option than Chiesa… 

Edited by thabucks

Latest from Unai:

"While the window is open we must try to be ready if someone has the possibility to sign and to add and help bring more quality to the squad. Always we have to be ready to do it."

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think it’s near impossible task finding a backup keeper, I don’t think any team will come in with bid for Olsen , Championship is his level but he commands Champions league level wages hence the reason Roma had to loan him out for so long. Bringing another  experienced keeper in and dropping Olsen to no 3 doesn’t make sense financially or in terms of squad harmony. It would be nice if someone came in for him but I think it’s unlikely .

Went on loan to Championship Sheffield Utd and was quickly dropped after revealing he couldn't stop any shots.

One or two interesting comments in Emery's press conference;

"We are going to play usually with two but sometimes we can use three and now is the moment to practice.

We have as well Calum Chambers, he can play as a centre-back. But I envisage him now more as a right-back and as a midfielder"

Maybe a midfielder (presumably Dendoncker) moving on and using Chambers to cover 2 positions to free up a squad spot?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Went on loan to Championship Sheffield Utd and was quickly dropped after revealing he couldn't stop any shots.

Kind of a pointless comment, he could play for a middle of a road championship team but realistically he’s isn’t going to drop a level below that and there’s absolutely no chance he drops down permanently either as no championship club will pay his wages, he’s got a good thing going here if we were to sign another backup keeper that would be a of calibre to deputise Martinez then we’d be spending and enormous amount of wages on a position that’s rarely rotated. Do we need better than Olsen probably yes can we get better than Olsen to sit on the bench on wages less than 50k a week no.

31 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yawn … God we need solid links so to stop the OTT Olsen bashing and non stop shit gifs spamming the thread. obviously Emery knows more than any poster on here so if he thinks Olsen is a good enough back up to Martinez then that’s good enough for me and y’all need to maybe go out more and trust the guy… 

You want shit gifs?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Funny with Torres. Scoring and playing well with Barca this preseason.

Alemany still putting the word out every 5 mins "WE WILL FORCE HIM OUT". Be good if a De Jong scenario happens and he ends up being a key man for them after they try to publicly embarrass him all summer.

19 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

"We are going to play usually with two but sometimes we can use three and now is the moment to practice.

We have as well Calum Chambers, he can play as a centre-back. But I envisage him now more as a right-back and as a midfielder"

Maybe a midfielder (presumably Dendoncker) moving on and using Chambers to cover 2 positions to free up a squad spot?

In fairness, Chambers can probably do what Dendonker can do.

Dendonker is probably on good wages as well.

So would make sense freeing up wages for other areas and using a player we already have.

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Their fans thought he was completely useless too…

The thing is… we don’t see Olsen in training, maybe he’s been working more and more with the GK coach and improving his game…

If Unai trusts him, we should too…

But… it’s also easy to take comments in a presser and responses to direct questions too literally…

I mean, he’s not going to say Olsen is shit and available for sale is he? 😆

What he has said keeps his value where it’s at and maintains squad morale and stability…

There will be further activity… I don’t suppose we can rule too many moves out and just wait to see what happens…

22 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Looks like Chambers will be in at RB if Cash is unavailable.

He did alright at Chelsea as a sort of third CB when he came on but we were already leading so different dynamic starting game at 0-0 and needing to be on the front foot.

3-5-2 will work better when Moreno is fit again.

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, Chambers can probably do what Dendonker can do.

Dendonker is probably on good wages as well.

So would make sense freeing up wages for other areas and using a player we already have.

I don’t think this is Unai’s plan but…

what concerns me about this sort of thinking and mentality in general is… are we holding ourselves back?

Should we not strengthen as much as we can and have better options? Make the most of the opportunities this window and time presents?

Limiting ourselves to “cover” or average/mediocre players to cover a few roles… it wouldn’t exactly fill me with optimism or excitement…

E.g even though I don’t rate Dendoncker very highly, Chambers is a downgrade in that position and more of a “risk”. He is a useful utility player to keep around though but he’s more suited to a role in defence rather than in midfield.

It would be better to buy a better DM if we sold Leander than stick Callum there… upgrade when and where we can - I think this is the mentality and strategy that’s needed if we are ambitious and want to have genuine success and achieve things… a weaker squad makes that less likely… 

The same goes for younger players who might not be quite ready, some will be… only those should be getting game time, the others should be sent out on loan…

I know there’s all sorts of factors to consider and we can’t spend freely or recklessly…

I’d just be happier if we had better players in most positions and as much genuine competition as we can get… I’m sure this is what Unai wants too but it has to be financially feasible/sensible etc… I think we have a fair bit to spend but are still working under some sort of restrictions/limitations… not as much as before though…

Edited by Jas10

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

If we've got any sort of ambition to challenge the top 4, we need to have quality like Doku, Diaby AND Bailey available to us.

For too long we've had versions of the same player to make up our squad. One-dimensional coaches who just want to bring on "fresh legs".

Emery likes to change personnel based on opposition and in-game.

It's time we had 20 first-team players so we can really cause people problems.

I think that has been a very significant point, but I suspect one that UE is changing.....I don't think it can be over stated how much it has held us back, in the past.

I have felt in the past a "Samey " feeling to our team....I don't feel that anymore, players seem strategic, at the same time cover too....The team looks like a team and not an assembly of players.

Good Post.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Looks like Chambers will be in at RB if Cash is unavailable.

He did alright at Chelsea as a sort of third CB when he came on but we were already leading so different dynamic starting game at 0-0 and needing to be on the front foot.

3-5-2 will work better when Moreno is fit again.

Hmm… Konsa, Cash and Chambers to cover that hybrid RB/RCB position…  🤔 

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Funny with Torres. Scoring and playing well with Barca this preseason.

Alemany still putting the word out every 5 mins "WE WILL FORCE HIM OUT". Be good if a De Jong scenario happens and he ends up being a key man for them after they try to publicly embarrass him all summer.

Plus I believe Barca still owe City ~€35 for Torres.

No doubt they'll try to get away with that as soon as he leaves.

And no doubt City are ready to wave that in the air the next time they get done for FFP.

50 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yawn … God we need solid links so to stop the OTT Olsen bashing and non stop shit gifs spamming the thread. obviously Emery knows more than any poster on here so if he thinks Olsen is a good enough back up to Martinez then that’s good enough for me and y’all need to maybe go out more and trust the guy… 

Exactly. It takes much more time for a reeserve keeper to get into any kind of form or confidence due to the lack of game time and opportunity.  There's no reason a replacement wouldn't come in and be "shit".  

He should be good enough in the early rounds of cups and against weaker opposition imo

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think this is Unai’s plan but…

what concerns me about this sort of thinking and mentality in general is… are we holding ourselves back?

Should we not strengthen as much as we can and have better options? Make the most of the opportunities this window and time presents?

Limiting ourselves to “cover” or average/mediocre players to cover a few roles… it wouldn’t exactly fill me with optimism or excitement…

E.g even though I don’t rate Dendoncker very highly, Chambers is a downgrade in that position and more of a “risk”. He is a useful utility player to keep around though but he’s more suited to a role in defence rather than in midfield.

It would be better to buy a better DM if we sold Leander than stick Callum there… upgrade when and where we can…

The same goes for younger players who might not be quite ready, some will be…

I know there’s all sorts of factors to consider and we can’t spend freely or recklessly…

I’d just be happier if we had better players in most positions and as much genuine competition as we can get… I’m sure this is what Unai wants too but it has to be financially feasible/sensible etc… I think we have a fair bit to spend but are still working under some sort of restrictions/limitations… not as much as before though…

I get your point...but being Devils Advocate, its hard to keep players happy, until we are actually, competing in the amount of games we are hoping for this season. When we establish ourselves, to that degree, maybe its easier to keep quality players happy with the bench.

some of the teams who have been consistently in the top 6, have found it easier to keep players happy.....we are only just arriving at that station.

I would never argue against better quality players, but I am trying to be reasonable to our current status, Diaby was a huge outlay, considering our revenue streams.

I don't think Chambers or Dendoncker, have let us down, when they have come on, and all good teams need utility players...we need players to nullify the enthusiasm/ fight back from opposing teams.

I am not disagreeing with your sentiment....I just think we need to build gradually on last seasons impressive haul of points.

I am already impressed with our statement signings, I think we will now sign some good value for money/ more modest, ones.....

We have to remember, we secured 1.96 points per game last season, under the Maestro ,that is a massive endorsement to the players we already have, and we have just signed 3 top class additions....plus young talent knocking on the door.

I Know, we are all excited, but we have to improve gradually.....then it becomes sustainable.

• Thanks 1