Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

This is why Chelsea's new contract model is very smart. They are putting players on lowish basic salaries with lots of incentives based on playing time, league finishing position etc. It incentivises players to fight for mins on the pitch.

What this does is when a player is no longer being played their salary isn't prohibitive in moving them on. It makes loaning them out is less costly to Chelsea too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Would never have figured that out without the Athletic’s insightful research and slick PowerPoint.  Bless them for not sticking it behind their paywall and depriving the masses of this revelation.

10 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Would never have figured that out without the Athletic’s insightful research and slick PowerPoint.  Bless them for not sticking it behind their paywall and depriving the masses of this revelation.

What an enlightened piece of work, journolistic gold, thank god I don't waste a subscription! Talk about stating the obvious 😂

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This is why Chelsea's new contract model is very smart. They are putting players on lowish basic salaries with lots of incentives based on playing time, league finishing position etc. It incentivises players to fight for mins on the pitch.

What this does is when a player is no longer being played their salary isn't prohibitive in moving them on. It makes loaning them out is less costly to Chelsea too.

Doesn't it also cause a lot of pressure and infighting in the dressing room if you're sitting on the bench not getting a chance to earn?

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

Doesn't it also cause a lot of pressure and infighting in the dressing room if you're sitting on the bench not getting a chance to earn?

Well they've sold lots of players, so I assume they'll get the squad down to a reasonable size so there are opportunities for them all if they perform. I think this infighting thing is more part of the past as an issue. If a players attitude is an issue just immediately move them out of the club. Like Pep did with Cancelo

51 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don’t think Chelsea’s wages are that low. They will be stuck with some players throughout the 8 yrs. 

Interesting:

I mean, we could say it’s refreshing to see a manager put so much faith in younger players.

I guess this rules out a forward/attacking signing for now… and I would emphasise “for now”…

As Unai said, we’re watching the market and are ready to act or make a move if an opportunity should present itself toward the end of the window…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, zab6359 said:
50 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

What an enlightened piece of work, journolistic gold, thank god I don't waste a subscription! Talk about stating the obvious 

To be fair it may not be obvious to everyone and this explains it very well to people who might miss the point otherwise.

Thinking more about it… it’s kind of pleasing to hear that Unai rates our young strikers and values them that highly… he must believe he can make them improve and get the best out of them..

It’s great to have and develop young players that can contribute and have “long term involvement”…

Huge faith in Ollie too, get that contract sorted asap!

In Unai we trust…

However, I still wouldn’t rule out another signing in that department, there’s a while to go until the close of window. We may well jump on an attractive deal or opportunity to bring in a high calibre attacker IF that arrives/materialises…

If not, no biggie.

In that case, one of them may end up getting loaned out too…

Can we please sign a new goalkeeper though? 🙏

And a RB.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Reading Townley’s latest comments, and from what he’s gathered during most recent interviews/presser with Unai, the current priority is to move players on.

Iroegbunam isn’t with the squad in US due to a back problem…

Duran also injured.

Sounds like we’re in the market for a RB and realise we’re short in that area.

GK situation is unclear, John will ask Unai about this next…

Ollie’s new contract is a priority.

Digne wants to stay and fight for his place (no wonder 💰) and Unai is happy for him to do so…

Edited by Jas10

I do feel/believe Bailey will stick around and we’ll see better versions of both him and Buendia.

Diaby will help in this regard also and is our main attacker in support of Watkins atm…

I really do expect our players to perform even better than last season and for the new additions to thrive…

Going to enjoy these friendlies and looking forward to the new season…

Any further activity will feel like a pleasant surprise but, at the very least, we are actively monitoring the market…

Quality not quantity..

and

value, not lavish spending…

I’m curious as to who else we are offloading, that will affect incomings too..

45 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Interesting:

I mean, we could say it’s refreshing to see a manager put so much faith in younger players.

I guess this rules out a forward/attacking signing for now… and I would emphasise “for now”…

As Unai said, we’re watching the market and are ready to act or make a move if an opportunity should present itself toward the end of the window…

He did also say this at the start of the window, so not much of a surprise. He obviously rates Duran and will be good to see Archer get opportunities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one more wide forward added, but don't think we were ever looking at a pure striker.

50 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Interesting:

I think Archer might go out on Loan again if we sign a new forward. That or we'll keep Archer and Duran to give them time in ECL and EFL Cup games before a loan for one or two in Jan

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It may be smart in one way......but some players might baulk at that in negotiations.

I once put that ( incentivising output) to Ron Atkinson, at a shareholders meeting....He said " If you did that, they wouldn't sign for you"

Players want as many guarantee's as they can get, and that is part of their consideration, when choosing a club.....Much depends on the clout, that the player has.