Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Yeah, we have explained our feelings towards JF

In my pursuit of the defensive side of our game, and my tendency to support that area of development.

.....sure we need attackers now.

I do get things wrong, but I get things right too.....Some have a habit of focusing on the negatives ( not you Jas)

I get plenty wrong mate, we all do. And you get plenty right too. Unfortunately, everyone picks on and focusses more on faults/mistakes rather than attributes in most walks of life and topics really.

I prefer a more lighthearted and fun approach but sometimes you just feel the need to respond or comment on something that feels unfair, exaggerated unsubstantiated etc.

I still hold mild concerns over the fact that we lack a bit of physicality and aerial ability… we rely so heavily on Mings and on McGinn to “fight the battle for us”… it’s all about balance isn’t it?

I think the priority is technical quality and composure but you do need to couple that with some steel and aggression as you often point out..

I fully trust in Unai though and his ability to get the best out of his team and to address or even compensate for any potential deficiencies..

Do you think we have ever had a better manager?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I get plenty wrong mate, we all do. And you get plenty right too. Unfortunately, everyone picks on and focusses more on faults/mistakes rather than attributes in most walks of life and topics really.

I prefer a more lighthearted and fun approach but sometimes you just feel the need to respond or comment on something that feels unfair, exaggerated unsubstantiated etc.

I still hold mild concerns over the fact that we lack a bit of physicality and aerial ability… we rely so heavily on Mings and on McGinn to “fight the battle for us”… it’s all about balance isn’t it?

I think the priority is technical quality and composure but you do need to couple that with some steel and aggression as you often point out..

I fully trust in Unai though and his ability to get the best out of his team and to address or even compensate for any potential deficiencies..

Do you think we have ever had a better manager?

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

In my pursuit of the defensive side of our game, and my tendency to support that area of development.

I do get things wrong, but I get things right too.....Some have a habit of focusing on the negatives ( not you Jas)

What do you think of Diaby and Doku?

Two of my favourite posters .... you're both proper gentlemen. Cheers guys.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don’t have too strong an opinion tbh, I’m not as knowledgeable or watch anywhere near as much football as I used to in younger days..

The first and most obvious (and most annoying for some 🤣) point to make is… anyone Unai rates, likes and wants, I’m all for… who am I or anyone else to question it?

Diaby excites me a bit but it’s hard to predict how well he’s going to translate over to PL… expect more assists than goals from him… certainly appears like he would be a good addition. I just hope he’s that much better and more effective than what we already possess, especially at the suggested outlay. Waste of money otherwise - I want genuine enhancements and upgrades to our side, not more of the same or lesser…

I want us to kick on as much and as far as possible… to really be a force, a dangerous and formidable side that will disrupt and scare the life out of the so called “elite”… 😁 A proper and effective threat. 

Doku… I like us targetting and signing young players with high potential. What I’ve heard is impressive but I haven’t seen a lot other than he’s obviously and visibly a very fast player…

What I will say is that… I’m always a little wary of pacy players, especially players that almost exclusively rely on pace. Not saying this is the case for Doku but…

give me technically proficient players over those that rely on pace any day. That’s just my view and I feel it’s one that won’t be widely embraced… especially nowadays.

I’m old fashioned in the sense that my favourite kind of players are playmakers (including fantasistas and trequartistas - I was basically brought up on 90s Serie A football!) sadly it seems to be a dying art… I value and admire elegance, grace, composure and supreme technical ability and passing prowess over physicality, agility, strength etc. There’s a reason it’s called “the beautiful game”…

Pace is a dangerous and effective weapon and seems to be most people’s favourite weapon… but… it has a limit or a “sell by date” and many players that rely on it burn out and suffer from a lot of injuries, some have short careers.

Now, if you can find players that combine pace with high level technical ability and control… then you’re really onto something (R9 probably the best ever example of this, tragic what he went through with injuries though. Would’ve gone on to be recognised as one of the very best players to have ever played the game and the “real Ronaldo”. No lack of strength and determination either) and shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to sign such players…

This may well be the case for either or both of these players, I’m not best placed to make that judgement though and will lean on others for that…

Sorry, you didn’t ask for that ramble did you? 🤣

Edited by Jas10

13 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Two of my favourite posters .... you're both proper gentlemen. Cheers guys.

Hey! You’re a top poster yourself!

I’m just an idiot on his phone mate 🤣

Prone to stupid outbursts too 😅

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

The one player I really want is Chiesa… I’m such a fan. I think he’s exceptional and he has the right character and personality to back up his immense talent.

Never gonna happen though 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Perfect end to the window:

Diaby: £40m
Johnson: £25m + Digne going the other way.
Felix: Loan, option to buy.
New GK
New RB

We’d take that wouldn’t we?

Where's my new striker brother?

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

New GK
New RB

Who plays left back against Newcastle

Wonder if Pau could occasionally fill in at LB or hybrid role and we focus attacks more on the right, on those occasions…

Not too often but just when there’s a need. He’s Unai’s main man and our leading CB.

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

New GK
New RB

I don't think a right back or goalkeeper is coming in this window. Really zero links

I think we will go all in for 2 attackers and maybe sign a project player similar to Duran. Only thing then is the Digne situation, if he goes then we will bring in a replacement

7 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Difficult to find a decent keeper willing to sit on the bench 

100%. I had wondered whether we might look at Plymouth's Michael Cooper, with an eye to the future. He is currently recovering from a knee injury, but should be back by the start of the season. He is 23 and is highly rated, having made the EFL's League 1 Team of the Year last season. Would he come in as a second choice though, with his team newly promoted? 

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

I don't think a right back or goalkeeper is coming in this window. Really zero links

I think we will go all in for 2 attackers and maybe sign a project player similar to Duran. Only thing then is the Digne situation, if he goes then we will bring in a replacement

It would be nuts not to sign a RB, Cash was unavailable a lot last season. I know we haven’t got the World Cup this season but we do have extra games and he seems to have a couple of moderate injuries a year. We should have kept Young if we weren’t going to sign another.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

New GK
New RB

If Digne goes, I think we'll get another LB. But other than that, would be a pretty good window I'd say if we throw in an Ollie extension

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

It would be nuts not to sign a RB, Cash was unavailable a lot last season. I know we haven’t got the World Cup this season but we do have extra games and he seems to have a couple of moderate injuries a year. We should have kept Young if we weren’t going to sign another.

I think we will try to put Konsa as back up for Cash in the league and maybe give Kesler Hayden the European games. We gave him a big deal so we need to maybe see what he can actually do

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I think we will try to put Konsa as back up for Cash in the league and maybe give Kesler Hayden the European games. We gave him a big deal so we need to maybe see what he can actually do

Shame he's on loan at Plymouth.

• Haha 1