Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

21 hours ago, RicRic said:

Knowing Emery he will be going for it this season without a doubt, personally i just think it will take 2 or 3 more players and it’s something we can seriously achieve if the end of last season was anything to go by

I don’t doubt it, and I think you are right he is probably targeting 2nd as we were 3rd best after his arrival! Two or three at the level we are looking at and we are massively improved over last season. Our challenge will be so many competitions. It’s also good we are keeping who we want to keep this summer rather than losing our best players.

• Like 1

Deer… in… headlights…

spacer.png

spacer.png

I just have this strange fear that he’s going to be sticking around and involved…

But hey, I suppose we can’t totally rule out Unai and co bringing about an improvement in him..

I’d rather we just signed someone better…

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Deer… in… headlights…

spacer.png

spacer.png

I just have this strange fear that he’s going to be sticking around and involved…

But hey, I suppose we can’t totally rule out Unai and co bringing about an improvement in him..

To be fair, there is a probability he could stick around and get better?

As I mentioned prior, even Emi has improved since Unais goalkeeping coaches have come in.

Yes he's had mares for us, but he is an International keeper who was decent enough before he came to us.

We also already own him.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Deer… in… headlights…

spacer.png

spacer.png

Difficult to find a decent keeper willing to sit on the bench 

• Like 4

I have a real foreboding about Joao Felix.....suspect it could be another Coutinho saga....if there is any legs in it, which I doubt.

Its easy to be blinded by the talent, and not much will to win.

• Like 4

On 02/07/2023 at 23:08, Tomaszk said:

Milos Kerkez on the move this window probably. He'd be a great, and viable, replacement for Moreno if we can send Digne to Saudi.

Something has changed at Bournemouth in the last 12 months. They've started chasing and signed some really good players. Wanted Jackson in January as well, would have been a lot cheaper than the £30m Chelsea spent on him.

Someone new must be behind the scenes. Strongly suspect whoever it is is behind the O'Neil sacking gamble as well. Looks mad on the face of it but so did sacking Nigel Adkins for Pochettino 10 years ago or whatever it was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Something has changed at Bournemouth in the last 12 months. They've started chasing and signed some really good players. Wanted Jackson in January as well, would have been a lot cheaper than the £30m Chelsea spent on him.

Someone new must be behind the scenes. Strongly suspect whoever it is is behind the O'Neil sacking gamble as well. Looks mad on the face of it but so did sacking Nigel Adkins for Pochettino 10 years ago or whatever it was.

They have new owners with money

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have a real foreboding about Joao Felix.....suspect it could be another Coutinho saga....if there is any legs in it, which I doubt.

He’s only 23, not a has been like Phil. There is really no comparison.

Signing players with high quality, potential and the capacity to improve and become elevated forms of themselves is a great and exciting strategy. There is no comparison.

I really do find these negative judgements of him to be irrational. Young with huge potential and quality - none of us know him, have heard from him, seen any of his interviews, read any of his comments… 

Again, there is a reason he was so sought after and rated and why Atletico splashed out on him in the first place. Problem was, it was never the right fit…

How can anyone definitively state that “he has no will to win”? Incredibly harsh and drastic…

And it can be argued, that he does have a will to win and intent to achieve something while having faith and belief in his own ability (unlike some people) if his aspirations are to compete in the CL. That doesn’t necessarily scream of arrogance… We don’t have to look it at one way, in that he’s entitled or anything…

It’s the finances that are prohibitive here… not the players ability or personality…

How much negative noise from credible sources have we really heard or read? 

Already covered it, but why are we less “forgiving” or harsh on other cases? And more keen on them? E.g. Sancho on 350k…

Anyway, I’m getting tired of talking about him. Not that realistic for us but it would be an incredible signing and I would embrace it and be genuinely excited - mainly because he is a player Unai likes and believes he can get the best out of (again, see previous quotes)…

Time to come back down to Earth…

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Bill Foley came in as owner. Successful with his american teams. Won the Stanley Cup with Las Vegas. 

Wonder who he's appointed in recruitment.

Monchi can't have a huge say on our arrivals this summer I wouldn't think. No time to analyse more than much else.

Good to see us getting a few new scouts in. If we have any big busts this summer, some people need to move on.

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No to Felix and no to Lukaku, we are not a dumping ground for chumps being overpaid. 

Can't see either on Emery's watch.

Whilst it's fair enough to want neither, I think it's a little unfair to dump them together.

Lukaku is on a downward trend due to age and, it would seem, lack of interest 

Felix has underperformed after a big move but has loads of time to turn it around

Emery clearly rates Felix and if we could sign him I think we would 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, picicata said:

Whilst it's fair enough to want neither, I think it's a little unfair to dump them together.

Lukaku is on a downward trend due to age and, it would seem, lack of interest 

Felix has underperformed after a big move but has loads of time to turn it around

Emery clearly rates Felix and if we could sign him I think we would 

My point stands solid they are both paid way more than they delivered, if anything Lukaku has delivered at some point in his career.

Felix indeed has time to turn it around but I've never seen anything that justifies his wages.  It even close.

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s only 23, not a has been like Phil. There is really no comparison.

Signing players with high quality, potential and the capacity to improve and become elevated forms of themselves is a great and exciting strategy. There is no comparison.

I really do find these negative judgements of him to be irrational. Young with huge potential and quality - none of us know him, have heard from him, seen any of his interviews, read any of his comments… 

Again, there is a reason he was so sought after and rated and why Atletico splashed out on him in the first place. Problem was, it was never the right fit…

How can anyone definitively state that “he has no will to win”? Incredibly harsh and drastic…

And it can be argued, that he does have a will to win and intent to achieve something while having faith and belief in his own ability (unlike some people) if his aspirations are to compete in the CL. That doesn’t necessarily scream of arrogance… We don’t have to look it at one way, in that he’s entitled or anything…

It’s the finances that are prohibitive here… not the players ability or personality…

How much negative noise from credible sources have we really heard or read? 

Already covered it, but why are we less “forgiving” or harsh on other cases? And more keen on them? E.g. Sancho on 350k…

Anyway, I’m getting tired of talking about him. Not that realistic for us but it would be an incredible signing and I would embrace it and be genuinely excited - mainly because he is a player Unai likes and believes he can get the best out of (again, see previous quotes)…

Time to come back down to Earth…

The main problem people have with Felix is his wages and his apparent inability to recognise that he needs to rebuild his career.

Under Don Unai it is the perfect environment and opportunity for him to become the player his potential has. Unfortunately the money is way too much for us to be able to risk it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

The main problem people have with Felix is his wages and his apparent inability to recognise that he needs to rebuild his career.

Under Don Unai it is the perfect environment and opportunity for him to become the player his potential has. Unfortunately the money is way too much for us to be able to risk it. 

It’s these accusations that he’s some sort of “bad boy”, “bad egg”, disruptive or “negative presence” or huge ego or demotivated(!) etc. that make no sense. Or that he’s not even that good (when did we get so snobby?).

At the very least, he’s better than anything we currently possess and has the potential to possibly, one day, become one of the best players in the league…

Harsh to basically write off a young guy with so much ahead of him… against so many worse cases or examples too…

The factors are clear, as you have outlined again.

Don’t understand how anyone can look down on a player who Unai actually likes and rates too…

I agree that it is the perfect place and manager for him but maybe we’re not far along enough on our journey to make this happen or convince him…

That’s fine, there are plenty of other players out there… 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Joao Felix career was on an upward trajectory up until a year ago. He won Athletico Madrids player of the season in 21/22. He then falls out with his manager and ends up at an under achieving, temporary basket case Chelsea being managed by Frank Lampard. I therefore wouldn't judge his ability/potential going forward based on what has happened over the last 12 months. 

He is 23 years old, been playing first team football for 5 years, four of which were very much an upward trajectory. Comparisons to Coutinho are well wide of the mark as they are at completely different stages of their careers with one approaching his peak years and the other at the back end of/past theirs. 

Yep.

The fact that we are even discussing him or that there’s a link to the club we support is… huge… shocking even. Before this season, we would have been amazed at even the suggestion…. crazy how much Unai has affected us and brought us so far along in such a short space of time…

Simeone is an often controversial, aggressive, temperamental and confrontational character… part of that is what brought success to Atletico but he can cross the line… something that’s being overlooked quite a lot, all the “blame” is being thrown on a young lad’s head instead (but, of course, none of us know what’s gone on or have any insight. Maybe he does have issues, but he’s young enough for them to be ironed out too…)

I’d rather not make definitive judgements or statements without some sort of tangible reason or evidence… I’ve not read or heard much into what exactly has gone on there and between the player and manager… suspect most of us haven’t…

If we somehow managed to get a deal done, it would be quite the achievement. A huge statement too.

Unai has been clear in his praise of the player and would like him here if at all possible. It’s unlikely… but Unai also said it “wasn’t impossible” back in January…

Apparently, we have the capacity to bring in such a player if we can convince them to join…

Also, I do feel or believe that the only way we could bring in a player like this is to exploit or take advantage of such a situation… other clubs employ a similar strategy…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I just don’t understand some of our fans at times…

People on Twitter calling him a “f*****g t**t” for instance… WTF? Grow up 🤣

Are we really going to be upset, annoyed or underwhelmed if actually, somehow manage to sign him? 🤣

It’s not happening anyway, but why the need to shit on such a player?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Don’t know Felix is only 23 I don’t think he’s even reached his full potential yet, I think Emery could take him to the next level. He’s ambitious and wants to play at the highest level nothing wrong with that.