Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

20 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

No recollection of Konsa starting a game at RB for Villa mate. Think bringing in a new RB is pretty much certain this summer otherwise we’d have kept Young for another season.

Yeh, but he played there for Brentford back in 2018 for 28 games in the lower half of the Championship.

Therefore.

He can play there now for a club aspiring to finish in the top 4 in the most competitive league in the world. No need to factor in him not playing there for 4 years and on the odd occasion where he has had to fill in, looked average at best. 

Also, this is the transfer thread. Let’s not talk about links. Let’s talk about our current crop of players playing out of position in our quest for European glory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/07/2023 at 22:32, GarethRDR said:

THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE, AND THEY SPELL DISASTER.

Think he ended up with about a 140% chance of winning after all the ‘math’ was complete 🤣🤣 Brilliant 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

In fact, can Buendia play RB? Cos he sure as sh*t can’t play anywhere else. 

Gerrard was a visionary.  McGinn will be starting RB this season.  We were just all too stupid to realise that SG was right....

53 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

No recollection of Konsa starting a game at RB for Villa mate. Think bringing in a new RB is pretty much certain this summer otherwise we’d have kept Young for another season.

9 games starting over 3 seasons in PL 753 mins 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, allani said:

To be fair to @Kiwivillan I don't think he's ever said or implied that the current group of players is good enough to finish top 4 and compete in Europe / the cups and doesn't need improving.  I kind of know (and often agree with) what he is saying and part of the reason I visit this thread every hour is my (as yet to be realised) burning desire to see him wax lyrical about a potential link.  I mean that would be the best post to ever read right?!  😉😉😉 

But he also dismissed the Torres link and it was clear Torres was a clear upgrade on what we have, certainly in terms of how we want to play. I sort of agreed that the idea of ousting Mings after he'd had a very good season last year seemed harsh, but that's how you improve and I also think they will play together initially. I also think he dismissed the Tielemans link at first too.

I think some of the links that come out are untrue, but I actually think a lot of them aren't. It's well known we're keeping an eye on Johnson and Barnes (underwhelming for me, but I think we quite like them), I think the Tyler Adams links are accurate (again, I'm not particularly impressed but I think the links are valid), and I also think we're trying for Ferran Torres, possibly Lo Celso, Goncalves, Nico Williams, Chiesa and wanted Vlahovic. There was too much smoke coming out about several of those to there be nothing in it. I'm obviously a lot more excited about those players from Spain,Italy and Portugal than the domestic players we're targeting because of the calibre of those players and hope we end up with them rather than Barnes/Johnson/Adams. The lack of links to right backs worry me but I think we're prioritising attack first before signing one later on, or at least I hope because we need one.

Personally I think we need two high calibre attacking players, especially with Ramsey's injury possibly meaning he misses start of season and Coutinho and Traore likely on their way out. Compare our attacking options to Tottenham, for example, and theirs looks much better: Kane, Son, Kulusevski  Maddison, Richarlison vs Watkins, Ramsey (injured), Buendia, Bailey. If we get those two attacking players + a right back and Torres and Tielemans we've had a strong window.

Edited by Leeroy

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But he also dismissed the Torres link and it was clear Torres was a clear upgrade on what we have, certainly in terms of how we want to play. I sort of agreed that the idea of ousting Mings after he'd had a very good season last year seemed harsh, but that's how you improve and I also think they will play together initially. I also think he dismissed the Tielemans link at first too.

I think some of the links that come out are untrue, but I actually think a lot of them aren't. It's well known we're keeping an eye on Johnson and Barnes (underwhelming for me, but I think we quite like them), I think the Tyler Adams links are accurate (again, I'm not particularly impressed but I think the links are valid), and I also think we're trying for Ferran Torres, possibly Lo Celso, Goncalves, Nico Williams, Chiesa and wanted Vlahovic. There was too much smoke coming out about several of those to there be nothing in it. I'm obviously a lot more excited about those players from Spain,Italy and Portugal than the domestic players we're targeting because of the calibre of those players and hope we end up with them rather than Barnes/Johnson/Adams. The lack of links to right backs worry me but I think we're prioritising attack first before signing one later on, or at least I hope because we need one.

Personally I think we need two high calibre attacking players, especially with Ramsey's injury possibly meaning he misses start of season and Coutinho and Traore likely on their way out. Compare our attacking options to Tottenham, for example, and theirs looks much better: Kane, Son, Kulusevski  Maddison, Richarlison vs Watkins, Ramsey (injured), Buendia, Bailey. If we get those two attacking players + a right back and Torres and Tielemans we've had a strong window.

It is pretty likely that Kane will not be at Spurs next season.  I can see Levy not selling him to a PL team but it will be much harder to stop him going overseas.  The fact that Kane appears to have said that he won't sign a new deal with Spurs will mean that it will be much more difficult to turn down good offers this summer.  Take Kane out of Spurs and they really aren't a very good attacking team.  Even with Kane we've a pretty good record against them defensively - especially if you remove their main attacking tactic against us which is for Kane to run into the box, kick the ball away and then throw himself into a defender to win a penalty.

I'd take Ramsey over any of the other players you mentioned.  Tielemans is a better fit for us than Maddison.  We definitely need to upgrade on Buendia and Bailey - but Richarlison is (in my opinion) massively over-rated.  Both Buendia and Bailey had better stats in terms of goal contributions than him last season (1 goal, 4 assists).  That's not to say that we don't need two new attacking (starting) players and maybe an investment player.  Like I say take Kane out of that Spurs team and they're really nothing special.  Obviously if Kane does go then you'd expect them to spend big on a replacement - but trying to replace Kane will be much tougher (in terms of the limited options available AND the ability to re-structure the way they play) than it will be for us to improve our attack.  I would be disappointed to finish behind Spurs next season (and I know that 6 months ago that would have sounded completely ridiculous!!!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1