Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just seen on Sky Sports, they were talking about Florian Balogun of Arsenal, stating they want 50m for him.

like....wtf.....which idiots make these prices up?

Whoever they are, they must have an IQ that matches their shoe size.

Just turned 22, had a very impressive season on loan at Reims and he has homegrown status. It's not really that hard to understand tbf especially when that's the figure they're starting from rather than what they'll probably accept. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we got Ferran Torres or Brennan Johnson we are in good shape. We'd switch focus to moving players on then. 

Don't know how you can lump those two together - Torres is clear of Johnson at the present time. 

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Johnson is a very good player, us being interested in him would make sense on a number of levels, it's said we want a forward that can play through the middle or out wide, he can do both, he can also play as second striker, he's got the genuine pace that people have been asking for and that team obviously needs, he's proven at Premier League level, he's better than what we already have, and he's young with potential to get even better.

Also our transfer record is relatively low, it's not going to take buying some galectico to break it, I think Johnson the kind of player that we might have to slightly over pay for, but with him I think you're guaranteed someone who will come in and do well, have a similar feeling with him as had with Watkins and Cash, but Johnson has the added advantage that he's already proven somewhat in the Premier League.

I wanted us to sign Nico Williams, and I'm sure most would have been happy for us to break our transfer record for him, but when you look at it closely, I'm not sure what makes him more worthy of spending big on than Johnson, I would still prefer Williams myself, but not sure that it makes logical sense.

I think Johnson probably one of a number of players under consideration anyway, the way Emery works is that he tells the recruitment team the type of player he wants and then they come up with a list for a given position, as well as that list of options there will also be new ideas from Monchi who Emery obviously has the uppermost trust in, so we will see.

Top post in my opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just seen on Sky Sports, they were talking about Florian Balogun of Arsenal, stating they want 50m for him.

The biggest surprise there is that arsenal are writing him off without giving him a chance, can maybe understand his stock probably being the highest it will ever be but even so it's nkeitah they should be looking to flog

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Maybe he’s smart but just has really ginormous feet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Johnson is a very good player, us being interested in him would make sense on a number of levels, it's said we want a forward that can play through the middle or out wide, he can do both, he can also play as second striker, he's got the genuine pace that people have been asking for and that team obviously needs, he's proven at Premier League level, he's better than what we already have, and he's young with potential to get even better.

Also our transfer record is relatively low, it's not going to take buying some galectico to break it, I think Johnson the kind of player that we might have to slightly over pay for, but with him I think you're guaranteed someone who will come in and do well, have a similar feeling with him as had with Watkins and Cash, but Johnson has the added advantage that he's already proven somewhat in the Premier League.

I wanted us to sign Nico Williams, and I'm sure most would have been happy for us to break our transfer record for him, but when you look at it closely, I'm not sure what makes him more worthy of spending big on than Johnson, I would still prefer Williams myself, but not sure that it makes logical sense.

I think Johnson probably one of a number of players under consideration anyway, the way Emery works is that he tells the recruitment team the type of player he wants and then they come up with a list for a given position, as well as that list of options there will also be new ideas from Monchi who Emery obviously has the uppermost trust in, so we will see.

Is he? (x2) - I'd have to disagree. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree. I think he's better off the left, driving toward the byline. 

I agree. I think he works best isolated against a full back where he can go left and cut it back across goal. Or go right and have a shot. 8 8

56 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Same - which is why I don't think we'll sign him because he's not showing enough to justify 50m or whatever they want. His data is available and it's not really that impressive. 

Nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it - don't be silly. 

51 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Just turned 22, had a very impressive season on loan at Reims and he has homegrown status. It's not really that hard to understand tbf especially when that's the figure they're starting from rather than what they'll probably accept. 

They're basically the same age, Johnson having done far more in his career than Balogun.  "Oh yeah, I can see why Balogun would be £50m".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They're basically the same age, Johnson having done far more in his career than Balogun.  "Oh yeah, I can see why Balogun would be £50m".

giphy.gif

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The biggest surprise there is that arsenal are writing him off without giving him a chance, can maybe understand his stock probably being the highest it will ever be but even so it's nkeitah they should be looking to flog

They need recoup some money somewhere

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah because being the 4th top scorer in Ligue 1 is totally the same as getting 11 goal contributions. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah because being the 4th top scorer in Ligue 1 is totally the same as getting 11 goal contributions. 

Yeah because playing for a mid table team in a fairly weak league as their main striker is totally the same as being a winger in a newly promoted team in the Premier League.

It’s also totally the best comparison between the two players. It isn’t like they played in the exact same league last season (edit: damnit, 2 seasons ago now I guess) or anything.

Totally. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah because playing for a mid table team in a fairly weak league as their main striker is totally the same as being a winger in a newly promoted team in the Premier League.

It’s also totally the best comparison between the two players. It isn’t like they played in the exact same league last season (edit: damnit, 2 seasons ago now I guess) or anything.

Totally. 

Yeah and A guy who scored 21 goals in league 1 is totally the same quality as the guy who scored 3 in the championship. Growth isn't linear. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

he wants to leave for first team football, they aren't wanting really to sell him from what I understand

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah and A guy who scored 21 goals in league 1 is totally the same quality as the guy who scored 3 in the championship. Growth isn't linear. 

I didn’t say it was - but equally players often have one-off great seasons. Johnson has played 3 professional seasons, and done well (and also very well) in all of them. He’s more established than Balogun at the same age. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I didn’t say it was - but equally players often have one-off great seasons. Johnson has played 3 professional seasons, and done well (and also very well) in all of them. He’s more established than Balogun at the same age. 

It’s a good comparison despite the slightly different positions and you are right Johnson is more established, longer track record and played in a more competitive league.  Thus it justifies the comments you quoted from lexicon above.