Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Looks like PSG are signing Kang-in.

That would make all three of their signings, with Ugarte and Asensio, previously speculated Villa targets! We appear to be fishing in the right pond but our maggots are clearly not big enough!

Looks like PSG are the new Spurs, when it comes to pinching our transfer targets, from under our nose!

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its well known that pre the NWSE era our interest in the youth development side of things was on the decline badly.

I agree we can argue us versus them versus others etc etc in terms of how good our youth development was, but its not really up or debate i dont think that our interest in youth development for a fair few years pre NSWE was on the decline.

That happens when teams get relegated they look to cut costs is what it is. I absolutely agree with you we are trying  to develop a top notch youth system now, we can buy as much talent as we want and I think Dean Smith had a lot to do with that intiating that.

I don't think Emery is that interested tbh he's more about the here and now player wise

32 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

How were we poor? How many West Brom academy players from the last 10 years are now playing PL football? 

Genuinly interested in this one.

A point well made, but they have always had a decent academy set up (particularly when compared with their first team;)). This one was stolen from under our noses, being from Newtown, as I recall, if only they had taken £15m from Spurs for him, they would have been laughing all the way to the bank:

Darren Moore reveals failed move to bring Saido Berahino 'back home' to  West Brom | Shropshire Star 

41 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

We'll see I guess, I stay away from twitter so don't see the supposed itk tweets just see what ends up on here and i take all of them with a pinch of salt Tielemans was rumored pretty much as soon as Leicester went down, Barnes has gathered a little steam afterwards and whilst I'm not completely against it I just feel we will be looking beyond the midlands for new recruits

I’m not pro or anti either player, just watching the flow of information while no football on on all our transfers…just hoping a stronger team and squad by the end of the window.

It's important to remember that part of the Academy Strategy targeting WBA wasn't just producing First Team players. 

Yeah...When NSWE took over we had Grealish and otherwise not a lot ready to step up - after years of Bannan, Clark, Baker etc filling gaps in our first XI - suddenly we had nothing and not much coming through. So we set about gobbling up talent from lower leagues to give us a talent pool for the future.

But a lot of the strategy was about dominating the local scouting scene for years to come...think Southampton, their catchment area is vast for a Cat 5 Academy. They scoop up talent and develop it well. But they are by far and away THE choice for their area.

For us, we had a decent academy but competing with 2x top tier academies. WBA had a great academy (players brought through or not) they were seen as good by local families. Blues too. Both of them were easier to get to aswell, causing us an issue even with "Villa" kids.

You also can't ignore the bullying claims from past Youth Prospects. We needed a new team and a new perspective.

NSWE set about taking advantage of Blues' financial issues..great. but that still left WBA, so yeah, we ruthlessly stole their Management Team and have since set about taking their top talent at each age group. 

Add into that the Inner City Academy and bit by bit we'll assert ourselves as THE Midlands academy. For both wealthy families and inner city kids struggling to travel.

Dismantling the competition is part of that, whether each of these kids make it or not.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So with PSG signing all our targets, is there anyone realistically we could take from them who would be a good addition?

Messi has already found a new club.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So with PSG signing all our targets, is there anyone realistically we could take from them who would be a good addition?

Wages are too insane 

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Wages are too insane 

Last couple of years, some of their promising younger players have been moved on (Xavi Simon’s as an example), just wondering if there is anyone on the fringes we could steal 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Last couple of years, some of their promising younger players have been moved on (Xavi Simon’s as an example), just wondering if there is anyone on the fringes we could steal 

Couldn’t tell you that I’m not in the know

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hugo Ekitike.

And just for his name, Warren Zaïre-Emery.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently Unai is " in talks " with Nico Williams.

EDIT: 3 day old news.

Forget.

I believe he was or is our number 1 target this summer for the winger/wide forward. 

Psg looks like there winding down there project now probably just look to win the league and qualify for champs league instead of trying to win the champions league. Moving focus to Man United possibley. 

Anyway there shopping in our bracket now instead of the uber elite one.

30 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Psg looks like there winding down there project now probably just look to win the league and qualify for champs league instead of trying to win the champions league. Moving focus to Man United possibley. 

Anyway there shopping in our bracket now instead of the uber elite one.

Yep, seem the project is being wrapped up there. It served its sports washing purpose for Qatar 2022. Moving to Manchester now, to compete in a league not called after a food delivery service.

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we could upgrade on his distribution, but in terms of shot stopping, high claims, new sweeper style we’d really struggle. We’d have to spend 50 odd million easily. I don’t think it’s something we have to worry about until next summer and even then we might not have to depending on how this season goes. 

Do you have a name in mind? 50m would still get a worse keeper.