Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Love a random speculative rumour

I think that's it...the last player in Europe we haven't been linked with!

Start up that thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Laporte is good but is he the right age to be spending big on (he's 29)? We already have Mings (30) and Diego Carlos (30). Pau Torres is 26 and Konsa is 25 btw.

Fair point, would be costly too (inc wages) and seems ambitious. Torres would be the one to go for but who does he displace? Konsa at RB?

Competition is good anyhow… rather than merely “cover”.

I wonder if we could get a Saudi club to take Coutinho…

Welcome to Digne too.

Those wages can be put to much better use, on players who can make more of a contribution and/or have high potential and some degree of longevity…

47 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He gets injured a lot but if the figures worked for us I would be all for signing him.

A player like that is above us IF he was fit all the time

Like Laursen was.

• Like 1

The highly rated Florentino Luís is more of an out and out DM, not sure if we need him if we're also signing Bamba, and bearing in mind already have Dendoncker, although I guess Bamba could go back on loan to Vitoria, which would leave Luiz, Kamara, and Florentino and Dendoncker as the four choices for the two holding roles, there's Iroegbunam too, but I don't see him as a DM in the same sense as Dendoncker, Kamara, or Florention, he's more of an eight than can play as a six and if he does play as a six it's normally alongside a more traditional DM.

Habib Diarra looked an interesting option as from what I could tell can play as a six or eight, so for us would offer additional support not only to Luiz and Kamara but to McGinn and Ramsey too, which again is something I think Iroegbunam can offer too once ready.

Can't forget Bogarde in all this either, standout performer in our academy, played against first team opposition in ELF Trophy when sitll only seventeen and didn't look out of place at all, and this season constantly regarded as one of Bristol Rovers best performers, progess delayed because of year long injury, but will likely be the next of our youngsters to go to the Championship and as long as we find him the right club I'd be confident of him making a good impression at that level.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Reiss Nelson signing a new deal so thats one we thankfully missed out on 

He's a real talent, theres a reason why arsenal renewed him, some exciting cameos this season, and i cant understand anyone being so chuffed that we missed out on him mate?  Think he would have been a perfect fit for us

Surprised me reading that, the same as it surprised me people on this forum who wouldn't want Xhaka, as he's been really good for Arsenal this season.

I think some are setting there sights a tad too high, and are likely to end up disappointed as a result. We aren't a recognised top team contender yet that can afford to turn our noses up at players of this type. Some peeps think we are already able to go shopping in the very top tier of talent, but we have a little way to go yet before we can go shopping there yet. We no longer need to shop at Morrisons, but we arent quite a Waitrose customer yet 🙂 (hope that analogy works, as food shopping is the missus's department!!)

Nelson would have been an upgrade on anything we have available currently on the wings. I'm really excited to see how we play once we upgrade on Bailey, Traore etc. Amazing how well we have done this season considering we have such a glaring lack of quality in these positions! Stick the right player in front of Moreno and we are going to be a massive threat attacking down that side

This is the most exciting transfer window i can remember for god knows how many years. We have loads of squad space to fill, big money behind us, have become an attractive proposition to players, and to top it all we have a manager who has great knowledge of quality obtainable players and a name that gives us a chance of getting some of our most ambitious targets. Everything is all lined up perfectly for us to make a big leap forward next season. Happy days!

As well as some “big hitters” to step into and elevate/transform our team, I would love for us to sign some young players with high potential from abroad. I think they’re the best kind of players to have as “backups” and to eventually succeed the elder players in that first XI, aswell as get some games in cup and European competitions.

I’m so keen on signing Kang-in and he could be a player that is a “bit of both” regarding the aforementioned categories of player… only 22 and so talented…

I wonder how many of our academy players, returning from loans, will have some involvement this coming season… Archer, A. Ramsey and Iroegbunam should get opportunities if they can impress Unai during preseason…

We really need to be more dangerous in front of goal, I would think that is the priority in terms of our transfer business… we can be a lot more deadly and clinical. I’m so undecided on whether Ollie should be our main CF going forwards too…

Unai brought so much out of these players but just imagine the sort of performances he could bring out of an even higher standard of player… (they would benefit our current players too and possibly help improve them even further).

I wonder how accelerated our approach will be in terms of genuinely strengthening/enhancing… will we be bold or take a more patient or steady approach… what are the aims next season? After our final game, Big Emi said we’re gunning for Champions League! 🤣

All we can do is wait and see but I’m getting a little impatient 😆

It’s so bloody exciting!

Maybe one we had an eye on… good move for them… 

I didn’t expect to hear much noise regarding our CB department (other than maybe Pau Torres and a reunion with his former manager)… so intrigued to see what Unai’s plan is…

What do we have planned for our attack? 🤔 

Nelson isn't an upgrade on Ramsey and also can't do Ramsey's specific role as an hybrid winger/midfielder, would have had to have taken the place of either Bailey or Buendia, and it's questionable how much of an upgrade he is on either of those two, i don't think he's someone we would sign as a starter and hence the link didn't make sense to me, if we're signing attackers we need them to be clear upgrades on the likes of Buendia and Bailey.

It's why for similar reasons I also doubt the links to Summerville who I think is a good player but again, we don't need to sign a winger that would be more of a squad option, we will sign upgrades on Buendia and Bailey and those two will become the squad options.

As it stands we have Traore, Bailey, Coutinho, Buendia, Ramsey who's playing on left, Aaron Ramsey coming through, and as mentioned above in addition to those are likely to sign another two as upgrades on Buendia and Bailey, so that wouldn't leave much room for Nelson or Summerville type signing.

I'd question how much Arsenal actually rate him as well, he turns 24 this year but has only played eleven games woth of Premier League football for them, maybe new contract is more about making sure they can get some money for him in one of the coming windows.

I guess if we sign Nico Williams but two or three of Buendia, Bailey, Traore, and Coutinho were to leave then there might be room for another winger as rotational option, but would prefer someone like Samuel Iling-Junior for that.

This is all forgetting Philogene, can't forget he did very second half of the season in the Championship.

It's actually hard to predict what we're going to do as lots of ifs and buts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I would consider much of my shopping at Leicester.....

• Tielemans
  • Iheanacho
  • Maddison
  • Barnes

all quality players, who have acclimatised to the Premier League.....They have all suffered, like our players did ( Pre-UE) so there is every chance the Maestro can resurrect their form.

On form all could make a significant impact on our squad.

I’m reliably informed that there’s no chance of Maddison signing for Villa as his family detest Villa. Not a ITK just passing on what I’ve been told.

19 minutes ago, striker said:

I’m reliably informed that there’s no chance of Maddison signing for Villa as his family detest Villa. Not a ITK just passing on what I’ve been told.

Yes he's Coventry and didn't he give it loads when scored against us. I thought was common knowledge he hates Villa

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

I get the feeling we will play with 3 or 4 CBs in the team at different stages of the game next season. Start with 3 and a FB and then potentially move to 4 to close out a game. 

So for that I see our links with another CB as pretty key. We might actually just sign one more and keep Chambers as the utility cover as he can play CB,RB and CDM. That would be our full 8 defenders. 

It's interesting if we sign Torres or Laporte (both very talented ball players) and could play with two left footed CBs and a Right footed RCB where they shift to a back three when LB attacks. I think we'll see a back 4 of Moreno, Torres, Mings/Konsa, Carlos which becomes a back 3 with Torres and Carlos the outside CBs two players with elite progressive passing and long passing stats.

It's an exciting back line. I feel Mings is so good at organising defence and obviously he's aerially dominant and very quick. Konsa and Cash will obviously get time too depending on what's needed.

Torres or Laporte would be superb signings

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm a bit worried we won't be able to get our top targets priced out of the market or players after champions league football what are people's thoughts ?.

Pinch of salt. But Unai knows the Spanish market incredibly well, and if you believe the tabloids there we triggered some big name release clauses like Mikel Merino. Not saying that we will always need to do that, but with the scouting system around him, I’m sure we have various targets lined up. Or, we are going to get some surprise names. But it’s really a question of quality over quantity and that can take time. Don’t forget, the Spanish league finishes a little later than us. Wait towards the end of the month or July I suspect. 

• Like 1