Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Isn’t that what Emery does though, he has history of buying out of form players and bringing them into form.  I’m not advocating for Tielemans at all but a link like this doesn’t surprise me because I always expected players that have looked rubbish recently but looked good in the past are sometimes the players Emery goes for. 

This. Emery fixes broken toys and makes them good again.

• Like 2

Re Tielemans, I think this is the sort of deal to judge at the end of the window. If he’s one of 3 or 4 incoming then I will be disappointed, but we need to build a squad that may need to play 15-20 games more than last season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've already posted if player x not good enough for teams above us then we shouldn't be interested either. Poor attitude and form this season. Lazy link anyway

Would a single team above us have signed a 30 year-old left back from Betis in January? Probably not, yet he became one of Villa's most integral players. Furthermore, outside of this most recent season Leicester were a team above us - in certain seasons better than our finish this season - and he was a key part of that.

These things aren't so binary.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We will have European football next season and will hopefully go deep in one cup competition. In that context Tielemans would be a sensible addition to the squad.

By the way, how come all went quiet on Matteo Guendouzi?

I’m not sure all is that quiet. A deal wasn’t agreed in Jan but he has barely played for them since and I’m sure they have made comments about being resigned to selling him this window, but the transfer window doesn’t actually open for over a week yet.

It wouldn’t surprise me either way if he signed for us or went elsewhere but I think he will move.

39 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Re Tielemans, I think this is the sort of deal to judge at the end of the window. If he’s one of 3 or 4 incoming then I will be disappointed, but we need to build a squad that may need to play 15-20 games more than last season.

I'd be very very surprised if we added 5+ players to our current group without losing somebody significant.

Edit: although having laid it out, I think maybe 5 or 6 maybe is realistic.

RB, CB, CM, CM, Wide Forward (Bailey role), Striker (Watkins role).

But I'd suggest we may only get one forward and maybe only one CM to take us down to 4. Maybe a CB relies on offloading Hause and Chambers

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We will have European football next season and will hopefully go deep in one cup competition. In that context Tielemans would be a sensible addition to the squad.

By the way, how come all went quiet on Matteo Guendouzi?

French season only finished this weekend gone, I think if we are to revisit Geundouzi then I think we may start seeing links again over the next week also, guess Emery will want players in as soon as possible, to inbed them quickly as possible ready for a massive season.

16 minutes ago, Frodo said:

French season only finished this weekend gone, I think if we are to revisit Geundouzi then I think we may start seeing links again over the next week also, guess Emery will want players in as soon as possible, to inbed them quickly as possible ready for a massive season.

He's been a poor man's Veretout at Marseille this season. 

1 hour ago, smokingzen said:

That's not how it works though is it, it's about whether a player is a good fit for a team/squad and has the capabilities or potential to improve it.

Your "rationale" makes no sense.

You seem like the kind of person that doesn't want to sign someone from a team below us, because they're not good enough because they're in a team below us, and doesn't want to sign someone from a team above us if the team above us doesn't want them. Which means we should only be trying to sign players from teams above us who don't want to leave the team above us.

Makes perfect sense. 🤣 

Reminds me of George Carlin.

'Have you ever noticed that everyone who drives slower than you is a moron, and everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac?'

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's been a poor man's Veretout at Marseille this season. 

Since January tbf from what I've heard and it appears that's after his move to us was blocked. Suppose that can be taken in a couple of ways, but before that he was having a great season hence the £35m asking price in Jan

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No to any Chelsea cast off's. I rate Pulisic but his injury record is horrific.

So you wouldn’t take Trevoh Chalobah at the right price ?