Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m starting to think the standard is a lot more even with the top players now. You don’t have as many stand out stars like back in the day.  Teams like Chelsea are getting fleeced on players they could probably find similar quality for a lot less.

Fernandaz being the most obvious example.  Man U have spent more than any team in both wages and players over the last 10 years and have a few cups to show for it.  A team like Liverpool on the other hand have 3 champs league finals and a Premier League. 

Id argue the manager is more important than ever these days. 

You only have to look at Brighton and Brentford (and Leicester before their owner passed) to see how the clever teams are doing their business. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You only have to look at Brighton and Brentford (and Leicester before their owner passed) to see how the clever teams are doing their business. 

True but it isn’t sustainable long term and they’ll soon fade away… money is the only way to compete 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Felix on loan with an option to buy would be a great move.

There are comments about how good a number of the current batch of young rising Portuguese players are, yet when the arrive in the UK they often fail to impress. Having lived in Portugal for15 years and watched a lot ofootball there I am very wary about these so called rising stars.

Its not that hard to stick out in the Primeira Liga, there are 2 clubs that usually win everything between them and 2 more clubs behind them that have the odd good season and win something now and then. The middle of their primeira liga is on a par with our second tier and the lower teams in their primeira liga are on a par with our 3rd tier. So most weeks the top teams are not even tested, Felix might have stood out when he played in Portugal but has done little to impress elsewhere, everyone was gushing about Pedro Goncalves when he played in Portugal, he went to Valencia then Wolves and flopped, now he is back in Portugal again he is supposed to be amazing. Without a crystal ball of course it's impossible to know who to buy,  their have been truly world class stars emerge from Portugal, I just hope we don't end up with a Lemon. 

Edited by Podster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podster said:

There are comments about how good a number of the current batch of young rising Portuguese players are, yet when the arrive in the UK they often fail to impress. Having lived in Portugal for15 years and watched a lot ofootball there I am very wary about these so called rising stars.

Its not that hard to stick out in the Primeira Liga, there are 2 clubs that usually win everything between them and 2 more clubs behind them that have the odd good season and win something now and then. The middle of their primeira liga is on a par with our second tier and the lower teams in their primeira liga are on a par with our 3rd tier. So most weeks the top teams are not even tested, Felix might have stood out when he played in Portugal but has done little to impress elsewhere, everyone was gushing about Pedro Goncalves when he played in Portugal, he went to Valencia then Wolves and flopped, now he is back in Portugal again he is supposed to be amazing. Without a crystal ball of course it's impossible to know who to buy,  their have been truly world class stars emerge from Portugal, I just hope we don't end up with a Lemon. 

Yep, that's why a loan deal is the only Felix deal I'd feel comfortable with. He didn't do too much at Chelsea, but their team was a a train wreck. Put Felix in a more cohesive side with a top manager and he might thrive. Worth a low risk loan agreement to find out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m starting to think the standard is a lot more even with the top players now. You don’t have as many stand out stars like back in the day.  Teams like Chelsea are getting fleeced on players they could probably find similar quality for a lot less. Fernandaz being the most obvious example.  

Man U have spent more than any team in both wages and players over the last 10 years and have a few cups to show for it.  A team like Liverpool on the other hand have 3 champs league finals and a Premier League. 

Id argue the manager is more important than ever these days. 

I've thought this as well you know mate.

Good post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will probably be neither, will be someone like Nico Williams, Luiz Henrique, Samuel Chukwueze, Nicolas Jackson as Bailey alternative, and then someone like Pedro Goncalves, Yeremy Pino, João Félix,  as Buendia alternative and maybe someone like Kang-in as additional option, seems he can play all over the place, looks very good in highlight videos.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Pulisic or Harvey Barnes - gotta choose one who ya picking ? 

Neither...  Pulisic is a significantly better player than Harvey Barnes and would really raise our profile in the USA (lots of new Chelsea fans recently because of him), but always without fail picks up an injury just as he hits form and it sets him back over and over again.  I honestly think he's a realistic target for Villa, but he would demand a lot of money but that's not smart business for our club when he's in the treatment room for 10-20 games every season.  Barnes does not fit our system at all and had one good season in his career so far...  No idea why everyone is raving about him other than his performances against us recently.  I'd be shocked if Emery actually wanted him.  

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1

Presuming we can't get Messi then João Félix, Nico Williams, and Lee Kang-in would be my three choices for the attacking options, I'm not sure if we're going to buy another striker, if we got those three then probably not, if we did I'd just get Jonathan David. Then just need midfield and right-back to sort out, maybe another central defender option, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Digne leave as he will want first team football at his age and I imagine we would welcome a chance replace him with a younger option, maybe a player that can play both right and left back would make sense such as Walker-Peters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

This bad huh?

Yep.

Tielemans is a funny one. If we’d been linked 12 months ago, I’d have been delighted. Now it just seems a bit meh. He’s had a stinker of a season by all accounts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep.

Tielemans is a funny one. If we’d been linked 12 months ago, I’d have been delighted. Now it just seems a bit meh. He’s had a stinker of a season by all accounts. 

I’d trust Unai to improve any player. If Unai wants him, that’s enough for me.