Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just a little concerned it's going to be us + a mega team in for bloody everyone this summer. Looks like we lose Asensio to PSG. It might be paper talk but us and Juventus in for Pau Torres. Hopefully Emery can bring enough quality over the line. Can't fault our ambition but we might be trying to run before we can walk in the transfer market. This is where Alemany might have been key. Yes in Emery we trust, obviously. I'm just hoping for his sake that he gets his plan A or B more than his plan D or E. Looking forward to this post being misinterpreted now and words put in my mouth :P 

I agree but I think the strategy of going after unlikely targets seems to have been in place for a few years, even going back to JWP and ESR. And agreed that was the thinking behind Alemany to give us an edge in this area. 

That said there are a LOT of very good players in the world. Hopefully Unai will get the pieces he needs to help us stay strong in the league and be competitive in Europe. 

I’m stealing this trend off twitter but I wanted to know who are you guys 'hear me out' signing(s) for this summer. It has to be someone that’s not considered exciting/or hasn’t worked out for a team but you know there’s still a potential good player there. 

I’ve said mine a couple days ago and I think Scamacca could flourish under Emery.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’m stealing this trend off twitter but I wanted to know who are you guys 'hear me out' signing(s) for this summer. It has to be someone that’s not considered exciting/or hasn’t worked out for a team but you know there’s still a potential good player there. 

I’ve said mine a couple days ago and I think Scamacca could flourish under Emery.

Going with a really controversial one here but I think Victor Nilsson-Lindelöf would be really useful. Been quite good for Manure in the run-up of the season at CB but mainly it's because he used to play RB and could work really well in the Emery system. Moves pretty well and has very good passing, both short and long.

Covers 2 positions and Manure might still want to get rid. Turns 29 this summer so not over the hill.

Wouldn't be a dream signing but I think he would do a good job if we did sign him.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We gotta go for them though. If they don't come off they don't come off. At least we don't have to become desperate as we've a good base squad to be building on. I think our B targets are probably excellent and will improve us. Hopefully we don't end up deciding if D target even is worth it. 

Also it seems like we are going in hard and early (ooh eer missus) so if we miss Plan A then we know early and can move onto Plan B.  I don't think we will be waiting until the 27th August before deciding that Plan A isn't happening.  We are in a better position to play hardball ourselves now too.  Not interested in the project.  Fine - we will move on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Not interested in the project.  Fine - we will move on. 

Not a dig at you I love these continued references to ‘the project’ I keep seeing as if players buy into a long-term vision. They know that at any club, the manager who signs them will likely be gone in a year, two max. While I hope that’s not the case with Emery, the thing players will ‘buy into’ is 90% who pays them the most money!

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Also it seems like we are going in hard and early (ooh eer missus) so if we miss Plan A then we know early and can move onto Plan B.  I don't think we will be waiting until the 27th August before deciding that Plan A isn't happening.  We are in a better position to play hardball ourselves now too.  Not interested in the project.  Fine - we will move on. 

As we need multiple attacking players, our pursuit of Asensio won't impact our other targets. They could all be our 2/3 primary attacking targets for the summer

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We gotta go for them though. If they don't come off they don't come off. At least we don't have to become desperate as we've a good base squad to be building on. I think our B targets are probably excellent and will improve us. Hopefully we don't end up deciding if D target even is worth it. 

Exactly this!

We aren't desperate as in previous years.

Although, the better the squad gets, the more frustrated we may get as there will less likely be rapid and loads of signings.

Higher calibre/tougher targets and less of them.

As you say though, our option B targets probably all still massively improve first team.

Out top tier targets may also have an element of " profile raising " in thoughts, but maybe not essential.

You only have to look at Moreno!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

About to go crying off to his mom about too much competition.

Since he hasnt cried at Newcastle as 2nd choice. It might be that Gerrard was just a clearing in the woods he didnt want to work with 😉

• Like 3

The biggest reveal in that Times article about our “interest” in Tiernay is that Digne is “regularly being deployed at left back”. There’s no mention of Moreno who is our starting left back. You can’t make this crap up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

David is a very good player if you play to his strengths

He might be but until he plays in a good league it's hard to say. Sanson was a star in that league, Guilbert is well thought of etc. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed - we have to believe in ourselves first and foremost and bidding for top players is a way of showing that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The biggest reveal in that Times article about our “interest” in Tiernay is that Digne is “regularly being deployed at left back”. There’s no mention of Moreno who is our starting left back. You can’t make this crap up. 

Yeah totally lazy. Plus we've two of the best attacking LBs in the league according to the chance creation. We need a RB and a CB, we don't need any LBs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Not a dig at you I love these continued references to ‘the project’ I keep seeing as if players buy into a long-term vision. They know that at any club, the manager who signs them will likely be gone in a year, two max. While I hope that’s not the case with Emery, the thing players will ‘buy into’ is 90% who pays them the most money!

I think that Emery, the recruitment team and the owners absolutely try and sell "the project".  We are trying to compete for signings with teams that have more money, can offer CL football and have had considerably more success than us during the lifetime of these players.  In those terms we don't have as much to offer as those clubs do.  What we can point to is a young(ish) team, with an elite manager looking to try and force our way back into the upper echelons of the game - we aren't doing that by paying more than anyone else (FFP prevents us from competing on a level playing field) so we have to excite players about us giving them a better chance to demonstrate their talents and to help us get to that level.  We're trying to convince people that starting regularly for us will give them more exposure than being on the bench for a CL competing team, it will help them get into their national teams, etc.  We'll absolutely be using the story of Emi to show how joining us can take you from a decently paid reserve, to an international regular, to a World Cup winner.  That will absolutely appeal to some players.  Of course we still need to match or get close to the same wages / financial package but "the project" will 100% tip at least one signing our way this summer.  Will it be their No 1 priority?  No.  But when other things come into consideration could it make the difference? Absolutely.  Just look at the number of players who have signed for CL teams and then spent 50 matches sat on the bench for the odd performance here and there.  We will absolutely be trying to convince potential signings that they can do that (and possibly pick up a couple of medals along the way) or they can come and play for us and be one of the key performers in the re-awakening of a giant.  Finishing in a European place makes selling that easier - as does pointing to the fact that our form over 25 matches is right up there.  We aren't just talking the talk - we are walking the walk.  It won't work on everyone but it will definitely be the deciding factor for some. 

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I would go for Paredes and Ziyech. Neither has really worked out as expected for their clubs. Paredes ended up on loan to Juventus and Ziyech transfer to PSG fell through and with Asensio, they might not come back 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I disagree completely.  If you are given an offer for Bournemouth at £150k a week and an offer from Liverpool £140k a week (with a similar commitment to playing time) then the second offer is still more attractive because of the prestige of playing for a big name, having more chance of winning silverware, more exposure, etc.  This is what will make it more difficult for us - we can't just offer players £5k a week more than Man City and expect them to sign for us because 90% of their decision is based on money - because that just isn't true.  You have to be willing to pay significantly more than other clubs for them to sign just because of the money and thankfully our owners are not that stupid.  I mean that's why players are tempted to go to Saudi Arabia - because they are basically being given 2 or 3 times the salary they could get anywhere else (especially when you factor in tax). 

I wonder with A Young going, whether we bring in an older experienced player. Someone who can have some impact on the playing side of things, but also be that experienced head around the place. 
Is there someone Emery has worked with before coming to the end of their playing career?

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wonder with A Young going, whether we bring in an older experienced player. Someone who can have some impact on the playing side of things, but also be that experienced head around the place. 
Is there someone Emery has worked with before coming to the end of their playing career?

If this was the thinking, surely we would have just kept Ash?

I think releasing him was to invest in fresh blood.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Character, is one of the most important considerations, when signing players, over and above their talent.

some of the players we have been linked with, leave me in doubt.

I have to trust UE to know this.....I am just not convinced, by the feasibility of some of these really big names, linked with us.

you doubted the character of the entire current squad, so I'll take Emery's thoughts on this one.

• Like 2