Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

They don't strike me as Emery type players. Walker, maybe if he's available for a decent price. Phillips? nah, I can't see it.
I think we'll be shopping in South America and Spain / France in the summer.

What does an Emery player look like? I'd rather neither but if we're honest Walker would walk into our team(pun intended). Phillips.... he could hobble I suppose. 

I'm not saying it's what's going to happen but I'm sure discussions are happening everywhere already about the summer, so it is plausible discussions are or have been had. Both positions they occupy are positions that need strengthening.  

27 minutes ago, av1 said:

The Walker one seems strange aswell, his main strengths are attacking which seems to be the polar opposite of what Emery wants from his RB

Not so sure about this. Especially as the seasons have gone on he isn't a particularly attacking full back, and often times would be the more reserved of himself and Cancelo for City. I'd actually say his skillset is pretty well suited to being a more defensive full back where the other player bombs on.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, paul514 said:

One header isn’t exactly something to replace someone over when there is vast improvements that can be made elsewhere.

I made a position priority list a page or two back…..

it goes out the window if you can get supposedly star players in because the opportunity is there.

if Vlahovic and Pau Torres were actually wanting to come here for 50 and 30 million euros you just buy them

Didnt say replace i said competition for places 😃

20 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Good to know and glad my perception is off.  

Just going back to your comment about Emery sides not scoring many goals the best info I have found so far is on TransferMarkt.com and is below.  Looking over his career his teams tend to win 2-1 (i.e. his goals for per match looks to average around 1.8 and the goals against is around 1.2.  Based on that it looks like defensively we are performing pretty much bang on his career average - comparable with his spells at Valencia and Seville but not quite as tight as Villareal.  However, our goals for record of 1.58 goals per game is (bizarrely given that we set the record for the team to score in the most consecutive matches under a new manager) actually the second worst of his entire career (only Almeria were less of a goal threat).  With Valencia he was at 1.75, Seville 1.86, Villareal 1.95.    Basically what that means is that over the course of a season we would expect to hit 60 goals using our goals for record to date under Emery which is decent but leaves us pretty much about 9th in the league based on this season.  If we got to Valencia's average we'd be up to 66 over a season (so 10% more goals) which would move us up to about top 6 level this season (with the exception of Utd who are well down).  If we got to Seville levels we would be at 71 goals a season - 11 goals more than currently and suddenly we are on a par with Liverpool and (considerably) behind only Arsenal and City.  At Villareal levels we'd be around 74 goals a season at which point we'd be the third most prolific team in the league (still some way adrift of Arsenal and City) but with 14 more goals (over 20% more than our current rate) we'd be looking at picking up quite a few extra points over the course of the season.  However, his PPG record at Valencia, Seville and Villareal is almost identical to our current record - so in reality I think we'd have more matches where we are winning 2-0 rather than 1-0 so probably having some more comfortable match experiences as fans!!

What this suggests to me is that either (a) we are playing like a typical Emery side but are just not converting as many chances - which seems unlikely because it doesn't feel like we are missing loads of really good chances in matches or (b) that we are carrying less of an attacking intent / goal threat than a typical Emery side.

I think this is why Emery has mentioned before about signing another striker (rather than a wide player) - which I interpret as him meaning someone who will be scoring goals rather than providing them as opposed to a differentiation in terms of starting position on the pitch.  I'm not suggesting that we will play with two "old school" CFs - but I think we can already see that Bailey, Buendia have been playing slightly narrower than traditional "wingers".  So I don't see links with Vlahovic as being too far adrift of the type of player Emery might be looking at.  I may be wrong but it looks like Vlahovic is good with the ball at his feet, cutting in from the channels, holding the ball up and bringing in other players and he seems a bit more wily than Ollie in the box.  From what I have seen / read it feels like Ollie / Vlahovic could be a pretty amazing partnership with both happy to play through the centre or drift a little wider to make space.  If 3 of our 4 midfielders are Kamara, Luiz and someone like Guendouzi - the pressure will be on the other 3 forward players to score a high proportion of our goals.  A trio of Ollie, Vlahovic and JJ / McGinn / Buendia is a lot more likely to get us closer to 74 goals than 50 than a trio of Ollie, Bailey / Traore and JJ / McGinn / Buendia.  I also think that a pairing of Ollie and Vlahovic (or similar) provides more opportunity to the likes of Archer or Duran because they can grab more minutes in games when we are a couple of goals ahead to settle into the PL, the first team squad, etc.

emery stats.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I've heard Walker and Phillips possibly incoming. 

I read your later comment about your source being quite decent - but this does seem a weird couple of links.  Walker seems to be the opposite of a typical Emery right back and I don't see Phillips as starting ahead of Luiz or Kamara (so it seems like it would be a large fee for a sub).  Unless maybe Emery is thinking of Luiz playing in the McGinn position?  In which case maybe he'd be happy to have two attacking full-backs in the knowledge that Phillips, Luiz & Kamara could cover if we lose possession.  But it doesn't quite feel right and I'm more excited about other links - but it seems a bit weird to be dismissing links to two England internationals!

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I mean mings was at fault on saturday... im open to more competition for places

I know what you mean but I would prefer to have a solid CB partnership who are the first choice pairing (subject to form, injury and suspension) as it is so important for them to know exactly what each is doing, what positions they will hold and what players / zones they will be picking up.  So having potentially 4 starting CBs seems a little OTT to me.  In other parts of the field I think you can rotate players more easily but a really good CB partnership is almost as much about instinctively knowing what your partner is doing (i.e. when to step up, when to drop back, when to cover the run of a player, when to let him go) as it is about the skill / competence of the two players.  I'm not saying we shouldn't be interested in Torres but you'd imagine if we did sign him then either we don't expect Carlos to make a full recovery and to be a "bit player" or we will need to move one of Konsa or Mings on.  Unless Konsa is going to play RB.  But even then it feels like it would be hard for us to keep Mings, Carlos or Torres on the bench for most of the season.

38 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Not so sure about this. Especially as the seasons have gone on he isn't a particularly attacking full back, and often times would be the more reserved of himself and Cancelo for City. I'd actually say his skillset is pretty well suited to being a more defensive full back where the other player bombs on.

He seems more suited to the right hand side of a back 3 at this stage. I think he’s ideal for the RB position in Emery’s current set up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allani said:

I read your later comment about your source being quite decent - but this does seem a weird couple of links.  Walker seems to be the opposite of a typical Emery right back and I don't see Phillips as starting ahead of Luiz or Kamara (so it seems like it would be a large fee for a sub).  Unless maybe Emery is thinking of Luiz playing in the McGinn position?  In which case maybe he'd be happy to have two attacking full-backs in the knowledge that Phillips, Luiz & Kamara could cover if we lose possession.  But it doesn't quite feel right and I'm more excited about other links - but it seems a bit weird to be dismissing links to two England internationals!

The source works in the PL. It's only weird because nobody is thinking about what players might be available here in the UK come the summer just yet. Since Emery has come in(and rightly so) the links are all in Europe which if we're all honest are far more appealing but not necessarily guaranteed to work out. 

As for the Emery kind of player statement? What is an Emery player? We are talking about England not Spain and what type of players he had in Spain won't necessarily be the type of player he brings to Villa.  If you went through the Villa side when he first arrived most would probably agree that not many of our squad are Emery type players. However, here we are and maybe many of them now are. Players are adaptable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The source works in the PL. It's only weird because nobody is thinking about what players might be available here in the UK come the summer just yet. Since Emery has come in(and rightly so) the links are all in Europe which if we're all honest are far more appealing but not necessarily guaranteed to work out. 

As for the Emery kind of player statement? What is an Emery player? We are talking about England not Spain and what type of players he had in Spain won't necessarily be the type of player he brings to Villa.  If you went through the Villa side when he first arrived most would probably agree that not many of our squad are Emery type players. However, here we are and maybe many of them now are. Players are adaptable.

On the first point I do agree - it is very easy to look at players doing well in other leagues and automatically assume that they will do well here.  And obviously with the Emery and Alemany factor we are going to get linked to just about every Spanish player under the sun (or anyone with a vaguely Spanish sounding name!).

To expand on my point about Walker not being a typical Emery right back - what I meant is that if you look across his career he tends to player with 1 attacking FB and 1 more defensive FB so that we get width in attack when we are on the ball but are not massively exposed when we lose the ball as the other FB tends to tuck in to form a back 3.  So it would be slightly weird for Emery to ditch that approach and to suddenly play with two more attacking FBs - as it would probably necessitate a change to the formation with Kamara dropping into the back 3.  That would work with then Luiz and Phillips in the middle of the pitch protecting the midfield.  But it just feels like a huge departure from Emery's normal system that he has used pretty much everywhere else he has been.

As I said I'm not knocking your source or the link at all - more that the two players seem to be quite different to most of the other players we have been linked to in the past.  If we are interested then I am sure that Emery has a very good plan (deliberately changed from "cunning").  Personally I've never been a big fan of Phillips (he seems like a pretty limited player every time I have seen him).  I quite like Walker as a player though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Not linked to any keepers yet 😭😭😭. I'll be distraught if we are stuck with olsen next season. 

No way will that incompetent clown be our No2 

26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I wonder if it might be a loan because can’t see City taking the haircut required on fee for Phillips and can’t see anyone willing to pay a decent fee when he hasn’t been fit for so long except maybe West Ham if they sell Rice. 

Walker - prize 🔔 but probably the perfect player for what we need in that position. Pace, played most of his career against top class opposition and generally always performed well, used to playing in possession based team. The wages, personality and age would be painful but if it gets us into Europe so be it. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Wasn’t there stuff in the press a couple of weeks ago linking both of these two to us?

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Wasn’t there stuff in the press a couple of weeks ago linking both of these two to us?

Who aren't we linked with at the moment. I've seen Phillips links previously but not Walker. My post was not linked to media speculation. Anyway I hope it doesn't happen whatever the truth of it. I want us to find our own gems or younger players.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I wonder if it might be a loan because can’t see City taking the haircut required on fee for Phillips and can’t see anyone willing to pay a decent fee when he hasn’t been fit for so long except maybe West Ham if they sell Rice. 

Walker - prize 🔔 but probably the perfect player for what we need in that position. Pace, played most of his career against top class opposition and generally always performed well, used to playing in possession based team. The wages, personality and age would be painful but if it gets us into Europe so be it. 

Not a loan from what I have been told.