Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Agreed.  Finishing top half and having an excellent run since Christmas has been important because it shows that we can realistically aim for European places next season (if we miss out this season).  Otherwise, we were just another team talking up our chances.  We've attracted some good attention and that will carry some weight (I think) in negotiations.  When you consider all the other good stuff happening behind the scenes - I really go feel confident that we could be on the brink.  It might still be a couple of seasons away but I think we're putting the right building blocks in place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, burchy said:

If we want to improve on where we are we’re gonna need to splash the cash. If rumours are true the budget is €200m then I hope that’s net and not gross. 

We need players better than Buendia, JJ and McGinn. Improvements on these players is gonna cost us, at least upwards of £40m per position (if we really want to move forward)

A midfield four of…..

Goncalves, Luiz, Kamara, Otavio

supported by…..

JJ, Kokcu, Dendonker, McGinn

is where we need to get to. 

Chuck in a Jurrien Timber at RB/CB and a Dybala or Felix up top and we’d be cooking. 

Bring in a few young uns to boost the squad and get shot of those not up to it (Bailey, Traore, etc)

I'd love that budget but it is an awful lot to hope for

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'd love that budget but it is an awful lot to hope for

True and I think I agree but Alemany coming in makes me rethink that.  He isn’t coming here to play midtable games, Emery isn’t coming here to play midtable games and talks constantly about playing in Europe.  It’s more than likely the big six and Newcastle will be spending £100-250m each this summer and they are ahead of us.  We then have to think of FFP to limit that.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens but they know and we know that heavy investment is needed for the next step.  Yes we know there are cheaper gems out there like Moreno but likely need some bigger buys as well.

• Like 2

As others have alluded to I think we’ll look to spend big, how big is debatable but I’m hoping NSWE think it’s now or never to break the top 6.

To counter FFP I think we’ll see Bailey, Digne and Dendonker moved on as they’re all on high wages.

It’s a similar situation to Ings, if we get a decent offer we’ll get shot of all of them IMHO. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, burchy said:

As others have alluded to I think we’ll look to spend big, how big is debatable but I’m hoping NSWE think it’s now or never to break the top 6.

To counter FFP I think we’ll see Bailey, Digne and Dendonker moved on as they’re all on high wages.

It’s a similar situation to Ings, if we get a decent offer we’ll get shot of all of them IMHO. 

I agree and maybe coutinho if we can agree a loan or f

Mutual termination 

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree and maybe coutinho if we can agree a loan or f

Mutual termination 

Agreed, I’d release/sell/listen to offers for all of the 1st team below….

Steer, Olsen (obviously), Chambers, Digne, Dendonker, Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho, Traore, Bailey, Davis, Wesley. I’d keep Young in the squad though for his leadership and professionalism qualities, but have him play less in the league and more in the cups perhaps.

I did say previously I’d listen to offers for McGinn and Buendia, mainly due to the fact I think we’re looking at major players in their positions.

I’d like them to be our bench options next season but in Ginnie’s case he’s 29 next season and it might be the right time to sell, something we’ve not done well previously. It might also help us FFP wise to get a decent fee in perhaps.

He has performed well this season so if we keep him for a few more seasons I wouldn’t be unhappy about it. 

He’s talked admirably about Celtic previously so I could see him going there after Villa. 

35 minutes ago, burchy said:

Agreed, I’d release/sell/listen to offers for all of the 1st team below….

Steer, Olsen (obviously), Chambers, Digne, Dendonker, Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho, Traore, Bailey, Davis, Wesley. I’d keep Young in the squad though for his leadership and professionalism qualities, but have him play less in the league and more in the cups perhaps.

Although i would sell them all i cant see emery making dramatic changes like that in one summer.

I think he will keep either bailey or traore (more likely bailey)

Chambers i think he will keep him as cover.

For me if sanson wants to go then sell, along with hause, davis, nakamba, wesley, olsen and dendonker.

Digne will prob want to leave if nit 1st choice but id keep him as i think he can push moreno

Arnau Martínez as a option at RB to replace Young? Been very impressive (for a 20 y.o) at Girona by all accounts. Regular in a strong Spain U-21 side.

Mcginn has been good under Emery, but we can't ignore that he has just one goal this season and only a couple of assists. That isn't good enough for a player playing in an advanced midfield role. I like mcginn but I think his role now must only be as an impact sub. Don't think we should sell but we need to upgrade that area of the pitch and that would see his minutes drastically reduced next season. Maybe sell in summer 2024 though. Ramsey is young and will get better but he's starting too many games, next season he needs more competition which will hopefully get more consistency out of him.

Buendia is another one, he is our record transfer but what is he really offering except work rate? Very rarely does he open up a defence and he has scored just 9 goals in two seasons for us. Again I probably wouldn't sell this summer but next season he shouldn't be more than an impact sub in the league. We need to bring in a significant upgrade this summer. Likewise for Bailey, everyone says sell, maybe we should, but I wouldn't be opposed to him being an impact sub next season either. But definitely shouldn't be starting. Watkins I'm 50-50 about, maybe give him another season as main striker, but these periods without scoring are a concern. Konsa needs more competition too and we need a right back. Young is a great professional, but do we want to rely on a 38 year old in defence again next season? No in my view, but definitely give him a coaching role. If we can sell Digne we need another left back too and while Moreno has looked good for the most part (except the last couple of games where he's been poor) he'll be 30 next season so we won't get more than a couple if seasons out of him.

Traore, Coutinho, Chambers, Olsen and all the players on loan (Sanson, Nakamba, Davis, Hause, Wesley etc) need to be sold IMO, none of them have a future at Villa. I'd almost consider with a couple of them, if we can't sell, just release them like we did with Guilbert but that's down to the owners. The young players on loan (Archer, Ramsey, Iroegbunam etc) maybe go on loan again or are integrated.

Buy:

Young backup goalkeeper (eg James Trafford, Bazunu)

Right back (eg Foyth, Dumfries, Geertruida)

Right sided centre back (eg Christensen, Timber) 

Attacking left back (eg Truffert, Tierney)

Central midfielder (eg Guendouzi, Kokcu, Lo Celso)

Creative attacking mid (eg Goncalves, Maddison)

Pacey winger (Williams, Torres)

That's seven new players without buying a new striker so shows the amount of work we have to do this summer if we want to break into the top 4/6 positions. Might well have to do it over two summers (2023 and 2024) as would be very expensive to do it in one summer alone.

Do we think all of our signings will be from La Liga?

How important is it to perhaps make a signing from a rival such as for example a player like Zaha or someone similar? 

We need to sell or release quite a few and at least: Olsen, Hause, Nakamba, Davis, Bailey, Digne, Wesley etc...

21 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Do we think all of our signings will be from La Liga?

How important is it to perhaps make a signing from a rival such as for example a player like Zaha or someone similar? 

We need to sell or release quite a few and at least: Olsen, Hause, Nakamba, Davis, Bailey, Digne, Wesley etc...

Given the structure we have and with Alemany coming in, our dominant markets will be Spain, South America, France and probably Portugal. I just don’t see us spending big on Premier League players - unless it’s a free transfer. I think that’s another reason for having Alemany whilst improving our ability to sell players for decent returns and/profit. Something we’ve struggled with for many years - outside of Grealish and Targett. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

I have wondered about Reiss Nelson but I doubt he wants to join a team where he wouldn't reasonably be first choice.

I don't think he's that good tbh. Brighton want him anyway so that will be a more attractive move for someone based in London.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He just scored a big goal for Juventus

Shame That's probably makes him more expensive. Also Juve can gtfo

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He just scored a big goal for Juventus

Vlahovic with the second. Next seasons Villa players doing well :D