Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dumfries and Correa? Agent chatter IMO.

Inter yet another big side desperately trying to sell some underperforming players they've given huge contracts to.

My thoughts as well.  Using us to get United or Spurs or someone interested.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Also, didn't he come out and say something about Walker recently that he isn't capable of playing a certain role within his team, I'm nearly sure I read something like that?

Yep. Essentially said he's too thick to be able to fit into the style Pep wants of switching between defence and midfield depending on the play. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Yep. Essentially said he's too thick to be able to fit into the style Pep wants of switching between defence and midfield depending on the play. 

Not surprised they'd sell Walker then, he probably wants out.  Don't think he'd struggle to get a club, still a decent player.

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Dumfries and Correa? Agent chatter IMO.

Inter yet another big side desperately trying to sell some underperforming players they've given huge contracts to.

Correa was voted the worst player vs Monza at weekend and suggestions of being one of the worst performers in Serie A this season

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not surprised they'd sell Walker then, he probably wants out.  Don't think he'd struggle to get a club, still a decent player.

With his recent PR he might struggle to get one

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Correa was voted the worst player vs Monza at weekend and suggestions of being one of the worst performers in Serie A this season

Don't know why..... his output is no worse than the rest of his career..... crap

20 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Since the current director of football and the previous first team manager we’re both appointed by the current CEO, would it be an outrageous thought that there may also be an upgrade in that department on the cards too?

I wouldn't rule it out eventually. There are some decent ones out there that we have seen mentioned that could be suitable for us and where we want to go as a club. As we have seen with our great owners, they will stop at nothing to get us where they want us to be.

If that means a new CEO too, then why not.

- One that is happy to work silently in the background rather than looking for any oppurtunity to be in the spotlight on any occasion.

I notice he's gone into the shadows since the appointment of Unai and we see less of him nowadays... I wonder why?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think we will have to get used to 2 things. Dissecting the rumours that are true and are bullsht and also wondering why he would want a player and where he would play him. Unai has got a bit of a bit of a Brian Cloughs about him. He will see something in a player than none of us will i guess. Perfectly happy to go along with whatever he chooses though. If he wants Dumfries and wants to play him at cb then goahead Unai. 5 months in and he has earned the right for trust already which is amazing really 

I could see Dumfries working out well. Pretty sure he started out at CB, or at least played there a bit, and he definitely has the size, athleticism, quality on the ball and aerial ability that would be perfect for that position. There's a fair question about whether he's good enough defensively, but it's way easier to defend when you're already back in position, than when you're always trying to recover from being high up the pitch. He basically plays all of the right wing for Inter and the Netherlands. RB in our current system would be a much easier role for him, and with his athleticism, size and experience, I think he'd be well fit for it.

Most of the suggestions are that we need a RB\CB to play there, but Ashley Young has shown how relatively easy it is to pick up the defensive aspects, when you already have the skills for the more difficult parts of the job. Most CBs aren't good enough on the ball, or agile\flexible enough, to play out there. Look how we targetted Dan Burn in possession in the Newcastle game for example. Also, if Emery sees a weakness that can be exploited by an attacking RB, like he did against Palace, he can change the approach without having to change the team.

There's a bit of risk as to how he'd adapt to the position, but if Emery is happy with him, I'd be very excited to see what he can bring. He's always looked very good for the Netherlands any time I've seen him.

17 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Unai being fluent in Spanish, French and English with the global figure along with Pep will no doubt have the biggest pull we've had in forever. 

How’s that going to top Stevie G coming to your house to convince you to sign?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Could we? 

Doesn't seem like our transfer style at all.  City will want a lot of money for him and you'd think he would expect outrageous wages as well.  I don't see us blowing most of our FFP wage space on him, to be frank.  

9 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Always liked Laporte but I imagine Barcelona( who have no money at all I swear), will somehow buy him for 60 odd million.

They just have to activate another money lever.

16 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Could we? 

Would actually be the perfect Emery defender, very good at passing from the back. He’s also Basque so probably has a huge admiration for Unai.

• Like 1