Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

43 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Buendia is criminally underrated.....

I don't think he is. I think it's fair to say we know his limitations and his attributes. He is not quick and he is not tall or physical. He is a very creative player especially through balls and he has a good shot on him and a great leap and heading. 

11 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

🇪🇸⏲️🔜🖋️

Talented player. Has flattered to deceive most of his career by being a dafty. If he's willing to take explicit direction from Emery, he'd be an asset.

If we are throwing out names of people in the Eredivisie that we would like to see Villa sign, I'll throw out Ricardo Pepi again. Although he is an Augsburg player, I think he has a truly great future ahead of him.

• Like 2

By my reckoning we need (in terms of priority):

Right back. (Starter, Cash and KKH can compete.) Foyth / Fresneda

Winger / Forward. (Starter. Bailey, Traore and JPB / A Ramsey can compete.) Mitoma / Nico Williams / M Thuram

Striker. (Properly challenge Watkins. Duran and Archer as back up.) David / Dembele / Hlozek

Centre half. (Pick form pair out of Konsa, Mings, Carlos and new guy.) Torres / errr.... Gvardiol?

Playmaking CM /AMC.(A real top darts signing. Sits in front of two from Kamara, Douglas, Tim and new guy. Competes with Buendia, McGinn and JJ.) Kamada / Guendouzi / Mount

Central holding / box-box midfielder. (Essentially replaces Dendoncker in the squad. Competes with Kamara, Douglas and Tim.) Laimer / Schlager / Sangare / Koopmeiners

Backup Keeper. (Watches Emi doing Emi things from the bench but is much better than Olsen). **** knows.

Yes, that's 7 players but with outgoings, not unreasonable. Hopefully we'll be in Europe and so need a bigger squad.
Added some suggestions but probably some optimistic ones in there. I don't care. We have dosh.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

We badly need a right back with technical attributes and some pace. It’s very clear that neither Cash nor Konsa are currently good enough and get easily done by anyone with pace. I think competition would be good for Cash, I just don’t think he’s consistently good enough to start. 

Amazingly, you've managed to highlight the one switch that we don't need to buy for. Konsa is a ready made RB switch for Cash and suits the Emery system brilliantly, its just we need him for CB at the moment with Carlos on his way back. 

I would be delighted to start next season with a back 4 of Moreno, Mings, Carlos, Konsa. 

As others have mentioned, your bang wrong about Konsa and being "done". He's barely been done at all this season, if at all. 

Honestly Unai will probably want to find a Trossard/Julian Alvarez type. Someone who can play out wide but also centrally if needed and in the number 10 spots as well. This positional flexibility is crucial when he changes formations depending on the game flow.

Part of the reason Brighton is doing so well is they have a bevy of players who can be positionally flexible.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Amazingly, you've managed to highlight the one switch that we don't need to buy for. Konsa is a ready made RB switch for Cash and suits the Emery system brilliantly, its just we need him for CB at the moment with Carlos on his way back. 

I would be delighted to start next season with a back 4 of Moreno, Mings, Carlos, Konsa. 

As others have mentioned, your bang wrong about Konsa and being "done". He's barely been done at all this season, if at all. 

Having seen Konsa play right back before, he's either a centre half or nothing. We definitely need a right back in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely 

I don't think Bailey would agree to go to that league. Could be a great move for his career though.

He was heavily linked in the summer when he gave some interview about playing in Europe I think

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Having seen Konsa play right back before, he's either a centre half or nothing. We definitely need a right back in my opinion.

I could be remembering it wrong, but I remember Konsa playing RB for a few games under Smith and thought he did quite well.

Also, you have to remember that under Emery the RB acts as basically a 3rd CB/DM

I think Konsa can play the RB role under Emery but he wouldn’t excel at it as he doesn’t have the passing skills that are required.

We need someone who is comfortable receiving the ball tight and can drive forward, either themselves or via progressive passes to a teammate.

Konsa doesn’t do this, he passes to Mings and Mings does the progression (mostly)

We need decent passing stats across all three of the CBs in a possession based/play out from the back, back three

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do we think Konsa has reached his full potential as a defender? I think he's been excellent since Emery has come in and whilst Mings, McGinn and Watkins take most of the plaudits in terms of improvement, Konsa has gone under the radar and gone about his business commendably. 

I think this point is smart and not just about those players. Emery is a coach - he will improve players. So if we (a) have an underwhelming signing who doesn’t look like they will improve our team or (b) don’t make a signing because Emery thinks he can improve the person we have in that position, I’m going to trust him.