Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He has been a disappointment for West Ham but should they get relegated I wouldn't mind us going for Lucas Paquetá. I think he would thrive in an Emery system and might be an alternative to Guendouzi.

Not the fee he would command, much better value out there and West Ham won’t accept much of a loss

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not the fee he would command, much better value out there and West Ham won’t accept much of a loss

West Ham might be fine financially but him and Rice would be the 2 who would consider themselves too high profile for the Championship, can't recall the last current Brazilian international to play in the English second tier.

Talk of Premier league players that we might pick up are a bit wide of the mark in my opinion as they would just be on way too much and cost too much.

Fabio Silva at Wolves is on about 80k for example. Not that I want us to go for Fabio Silva but just stating average players earn shed loads in England. 

Players like Paqueta are on about 150k and  Spam would want silly money for him if they went down. 

Better value for money in Europe.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

West Ham might be fine financially but him and Rice would be the 2 who would consider themselves too high profile for the Championship, can't recall the last current Brazilian international to play in the English second tier.

I don’t disagree but he cost them £51m.  I hope if we were interested we wouldn’t be paying any near that and I can’t see West Ham letting him leave for £25-35m.  If they do get relegated, expect him to be loaned abroad for a season with the hope West Ham get promoted.  I don’t think any PL club is paying big money for him based on his first PL season.

I think we need a new RB but not the traditional one as we have that covered in both Cash and KKH.

I think we’ll look at a more defensive option here. It’ll probably be Foyth but I like the look of Geertruida at Feyenoord and think he’d fit nicely into our back three (when in possession).

He can cover CB and DM too. Would allow us to bin off both Chambers and Dendonker who are on 50k and 90k respectively. It would also allow us more space in the squad for Iroegbunam next season

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Foyth seems like such an obvious target. I can’t say I’ve seen him much but read that Madrid and Barca both wanted him…??

Given he’s Argentinian as well, you’d expect that would work in our favour. 

If not him a player like him who is a good passer and comfortable as a RCB as that's effectively what our RB is asked to operate as. I hope Emery and the recruitment team can unearth a bargain this window like they did with Moreno. This could be the position for it as with Cash and Ash we don't have a glaring hole in the position but we do need that different type of player for it. 

To draw on what @Shaun Teales Moustache was saying earlier I’m hoping we look further a field than just La Liga. It’s a strong league and although there are bargains to be had there (Moreno) there’s plenty of opportunity for us to get rinsed too. 

Take the links to Nico Williams as an example. I’m not sure he’s worth (yet) his 40m release clause and I’m not sure Altletic would entertain a figure much lower than that. 

Could we not get better players from lesser leagues, hasn’t hurt Leipzig when taking players from the Austrian Bundesliga for example. 

Players are out there, even in so called lesser leagues, we just need to get our scouting team on it. 

I think there’s less risk to our back line at the moment as we are well stocked to some degree. Add a CB/RB and we’re good to go. I’d like a couple of better options at CB moving forward but these can wait. 

It’s the midfield and forward line where the risk is as we really need to get it right with our big signings in key areas or try and mitigate the risk a bit and get options with say two lower priced players coming in, with huge potential. 

I think Watkins has done enough for now to be 1st choice so could see a cheaper alternative brought in (Openda, Okafor, Wahi) or a free like Dembele or Thuram

I think Buendia is better as a 10 who drops off the front two into the Box midfield. I think Bailey is better off RM making runs into the forward line with Moreno doing same on left. 

So whoever we sign as a Winger for RM needs to be that versatile can play up top and off RM. The way Emery has utilised Bailey but someone tailor made for it who fits exactly what Emery wants the way he has got with Moreno, signed the exact player for the exact role.

Question then is do we sign another Centre Forward? If we do I think it'll be someone who can play with Watkins and not directly compete with him. So maybe. I really don't know as we have this massive dependency on Watkins that if he got injured it would totally change how we play.

I think midfield we've 4 clearly quality players. Buendia then who is versatile and can play off RM and up top and drop off front line. Coutinho I feel probably will leave on loan. Though I totally believe Emery could get him back to his best if he stayed fit. 

It think the additional CM ala Guendouzi and the RCB/RB are the other two signings we'll make. 

For me though, I think if we upgraded Buendia, Bailey, Cash and added a Guendouzi to battle the midfield 4 our best team would be one where we have a 10 drop off from Watkins and a Winger attacking from RM.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that we have been linked to Pukki on a free. With Watkins in his current form and Archer/Duran developing it might be an OK move if we go for another striker

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I think we need a new RB but not the traditional one as we have that covered in both Cash and KKH.

I think we’ll look at a more defensive option here. It’ll probably be Foyth but I like the look of Geertruida at Feyenoord and think he’d fit nicely into our back three (when in possession).

He can cover CB and DM too. Would allow us to bin off both Chambers and Dendonker who are on 50k and 90k respectively. It would also allow us more space in the squad for Iroegbunam next season

Foyth can cover DM to in-fact he only played 22 times last season as RB under Emery.  He’d be a decent option to rotate with Cash.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think Buendia is better as a 10 who drops off the front two into the Box midfield. I think Bailey is better off RM making runs into the forward line with Moreno doing same on left. 

So whoever we sign as a Winger for RM needs to be that versatile can play up top and off RM. The way Emery has utilised Bailey but someone tailor made for it who fits exactly what Emery wants the way he has got with Moreno, signed the exact player for the exact role.

Question then is do we sign another Centre Forward? If we do I think it'll be someone who can play with Watkins and not directly compete with him. So maybe. I really don't know as we have this massive dependency on Watkins that if he got injured it would totally change how we play.

I think midfield we've 4 clearly quality players. Buendia then who is versatile and can play off RM and up top and drop off front line. Coutinho I feel probably will leave on loan. Though I totally believe Emery could get him back to his best if he stayed fit. 

It think the additional CM ala Guendouzi and the RCB/RB are the other two signings we'll make. 

For me though, I think if we upgraded Buendia, Bailey, Cash and added a Guendouzi to battle the midfield 4 our best team would be one where we have a 10 drop off from Watkins and a Winger attacking from RM.

I agree with this. I'm actually of the opinion that Buendia can only play as the 10 in a team that wants to challenge for Europe/consistently be top half. He doesn't have the pace or strength to excel in a midfield position in my opinion (I'm aware he's played there this season a lot). Bailey too, needs to be playing out wide, I just think he's miles off it ability wise so we're going to need to upgrade on him regardless. I've said it for a while, but if we can get top quality players in to replace Buendia and Bailey in the starting line up, we're going to have some team. That's not to say Buendia won't play his part, I just know we need better in order to get where we want to be. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree with this. I'm actually of the opinion that Buendia can only play as the 10 in a team that wants to challenge for Europe/consistently be top half. He doesn't have the pace or strength to excel in a midfield position in my opinion (I'm aware he's played there this season a lot). Bailey too, needs to be playing out wide, I just think he's miles off it ability wise so we're going to need to upgrade on him regardless. I've said it for a while, but if we can get top quality players in to replace Buendia and Bailey in the starting line up, we're going to have some team. That's not to say Buendia won't play his part, I just know we need better in order to get where we want to be. 

I think you underestimate how good he’s been tactically and defensively. He’s very intelligent and knows his role where he.  needs to be positionally and the role of other players. And I’m not suggesting there aren’t any flaws to his game either. He’s going to be a big player under  Emery it’s not all about goals and assists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I’d add that I’d love us to sign a midfielder like Kokcu from Feyenoord. Scores goals and is a hybrid midfielder. 

• Like 1

Really think a RB is a waste of time.

All the characteristics we're after, Konsa has. No reason he can't play there as back-up/competition for Cash.

Money better spent on a CB to compliment Mings and Carlos...and Konsa.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Most people seem to agree the weak point in our common starting 11 is Bailey in that role ‘off Watkins’ - we need someone who excels in that role but can also play as the lead striker if needed so it covers Watkins without competing. But those players are hard to find and rarely cheap.

We badly need a right back with technical attributes and some pace. It’s very clear that neither Cash nor Konsa are currently good enough and get easily done by anyone with pace. I think competition would be good for Cash, I just don’t think he’s consistently good enough to start. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think Ollie has earned the right to be the main man, but we do badly need cover.

• Like 1