Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Otavio....

Look him up, he is perfect for this system

Good player but he’s 28 and some of his stats are inferior to say Kokcu or even Alex Scott.

I should have included him though as he is an option, already plays RM so minimal adjustment and like you say we were linked.

I think I might have stopped at 27 as the age cut off originally, hence his exclusion..…my bad

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Good player but he’s 28 and some of his stats are inferior to say Kokcu or even Alex Scott.

I should have included him though as he is an option, already plays RM so minimal adjustment and like you say we were linked.

I think I might have stopped at 27 as the age cut off originally, hence his exclusion..…my bad

I usually wouldn't look over 25 but he is just so perfect for the system 

2 hours ago, burchy said:

Lucky to score it as his touch was massively heavy there. Still not convinced by him. 

I watched the full game. He's very much still a work in progress in the final third. Lots of overhit crosses and stuff and Valencia are a pretty slow team so he found it easier to get infront of them than many prem defensive units.

Sometimes players from abroad can be massively hyped. He's obviously a talent but wouldn't rate him higher than an Anthony Gordon say and not many on here rate him.

I've mentioned him before but Lookman is one to look at, having a brilliant season for Atalanta and hit double figures in Serie A already. Again wouldn't be a gamechanger but has good top level experience now and would offer more depth for wide positions.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I watched the full game. He's very much still a work in progress in the final third. Lots of overhit crosses and stuff and Valencia are a pretty slow team so he found it easier to get infront of them than many prem defensive units.

Sometimes players from abroad can be massively hyped. He's obviously a talent but wouldn't rate him higher than an Anthony Gordon say and not many on here rate him.

I've mentioned him before but Lookman is one to look at, having a brilliant season for Atalanta and hit double figures in Serie A already. Again wouldn't be a gamechanger but has good top level experience now and would offer more depth for wide positions.

I am also VERY unconvinced he is someone we should sign for anywhere near what they want for him

Is it possible UE was told something along the lines of - You can spend 50-60 Million in January on transfers or just save that for the summer, which means you will have 150-160 and you might get better overall value with transfers for the squad.

Plus extra time to sell off a couple more players which boosts the spending total even more.

UE might think its a better bargaining tool to tell player A if they sign we will also be bringing player B and C into the squad in the same window which adds more quality to the squad.

19 hours ago, grobs said:

After the owners hung emery out to dry in January I don’t expect the massive summer that everyone is expecting. 

If spending £30m is “hung out to dry” I don’t know what to tell you. Honestly. 

• Like 4

Unai Emery is a good guy but he has the ruthless streak that is needed when judging a squad. There will be no arm round the shoulder approach for players he judges to be inadequate. The evidence of his own eyes from the last two matches against Leicester and Man City will have been particularly important to Unai as he compiles his summer "must have signings" list, and also his "for sale" list.

I expect the summer transfer window to have Emery's trademark all over it, with Lange and co following his instructions to the letter. 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If leeds go down we seriously have to try get gnoto. He looks like the exact type of player we need.

I was hoping this was the type of player bailey would be but with pace

ah, yes. Gnonto. the player we wanted Bailey to be. Yet Bailey has twice as many PL goals and PL assists as Gnonto this season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If leeds go down we seriously have to try get gnoto. He looks like the exact type of player we need.

I agree about Gnonto, but would VT be happy for us to sign someone with so little stature?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I agree about Gnonto, but would VT be happy for us to sign someone with so little stature?

He’d be on the shortlist, his fee would dwarf any fee we’ve paid for teenager…

After some thought - I would set up the tiers like this.

Buy

Immediate replacement (££) - Digne - need an athletic and more defensive solid LB to spell Moreno

Incoming transfer will need to be better than (£££) - Bailey, JJ, Konsa, Young/Cash - these will require bigger money transfers and the current squad will have to fight for their spots

Incoming transfer to provide competition for (£) - Buendia, Mings - projects and or young prospects for rotation

Main stay and/or academy backups - Watkins, Luiz, Kamara, Emi'

Keep

Keeping these for squad reserve and flexibility - Duran (will challenge for spots), McGinn, Cash, Donkey

Sell/Out

Olsen (pay someone to take him), Chambers, Bertie, Digne, Coutinho

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Immediate replacement (££) - Digne - need an athletic and more defensive solid LB to spell Moreno

Are you saying the requirement for a LB in your eyes is someone literate enough to spell a 6 letter surname?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Are you saying the requirement for a LB in your eyes is someone literate enough to spell a 6 letter surname?

At minimum but not necessarily required. They are footballers after all.

Edited by DJBOB

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gnoto looks like he is a good player, it's unfortunate we didn't go in for him as although I didn't know about him he wouldn't have been difficult to spot being an Italian international at 19. I certainly noticed him within minutes in the game against us.

I wouldn't be going mad for him if Leeds go down though, he is a proper winger.

• Thanks 1