Jhon Durán

PieFacE

17 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, very physical, but also, I kind of think his size gets curiously overstated at times, not sure why. He's "only" 6'1" and just over 160 lbs. Smaller than Benteke, for sure.

He's an amazing signing in any case. When you look at his rise from Envigado in Colombia, you see that he's also someone who genuinely admires Villa, too. That's amazing. Can't think of lots of players who arrive at Villa from overseas who genuinely seemed interested in us before any offer came. Not necessary for good football, but it maybe adds that extra bit of magic when you know the player's respect for the badge runs deep?

I've seen comparisons to Benteke and also a young Zlatan, but Duran seems to me a much more South American-style player -- he's got that bit of "flair" but nothing extreme. He's never style over substance. The player whose style he most reminds me of has to be Falcao: A "sniper" but one who makes sudden, rapid, at times teetering or rough approaches to his "shooting position" in the opposition's third and never wastes time before firing. Occasional cheeky chips and great aerial game. Total cognitive dissonance here, but I keep thinking of a kind of rushed biathlon shooter who moves very fast lol. He doesn't dawdle in front of goal, doesn't second-guess himself, isn't afraid of a volley, and sometimes it really pays off. I think we're extremely fortunate to have this kid, and I can't wait to see what his future brings.

I didn't say he was exceptionally built just that he was built like a fully grown adult, which imo he is. Basically, he's not your average skinny teen.

Yes I think he is a great signing as well and I love his attitude! I like that he has confidence too and that he likes to just go for goal. That is a very good sign of a striker that believes in himself and his abilities.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2023 at 18:53, est1874 said:

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying we shouldn't expect the average neutral to give a shit or pay attention until we win a trophy (or trophies). Many can't see past the ends of their noses or beyond their own club, it's not surprising. 

Current managers and players is a different story. We're increasing our reputation there.

I think what gets frustrating for many of us is the superficial knowledge of what we are all about, and whats going on, within the club.

Its only Villa podcasters, who have any forensic idea of the football club/team.....whether we agree with them or not.

The nationals always seem to have a peripheral view on Aston Villa, and their comments, lack any real conviction....Its most amateurish and tedious at times.

They'll probably get round to Jhon Duran at the end of the season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes, very physical, but also, I kind of think his size gets curiously overstated at times, not sure why. He's "only" 6'1" and just over 160 lbs. Smaller than Benteke, for sure.

He's an amazing signing in any case. When you look at his rise from Envigado in Colombia, you see that he's also someone who genuinely admires Villa, too. That's amazing. Can't think of lots of players who arrive at Villa from overseas who genuinely seemed interested in us before any offer came. Not necessary for good football, but it maybe adds that extra bit of magic when you know the player's respect for the badge runs deep?

I've seen comparisons to Benteke and also a young Zlatan, but Duran seems to me a much more South American-style player -- he's got that bit of "flair" but nothing extreme. He's never style over substance. The player whose style he most reminds me of has to be Falcao: A "sniper" but one who makes sudden, rapid, at times teetering or rough approaches to his "shooting position" in the opposition's third and never wastes time before firing. Occasional cheeky chips and great aerial game. Total cognitive dissonance here, but I keep thinking of a kind of rushed biathlon shooter who moves very fast lol. He doesn't dawdle in front of goal, doesn't second-guess himself, isn't afraid of a volley, and sometimes it really pays off. I think we're extremely fortunate to have this kid, and I can't wait to see what his future brings.

No way he's 160lbs. I'm 5'11, 163. And I'm pretty skinny. Duran has to be at least 175. Plus I think he's probably taller than 6'1, looks more like 6'2 or even 6'3 on the pitch.

for a 19 year old, he has a huge bundle of Courage.

That might seem incidental to some......but to me, its paramount.....and shows the intent of the player.

He isn't afraid to fail, he doesn't play safe....His pursuit of the objective, has no distraction...He has one focus.....Goal!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Off topic: I know every player is their own player and have their own universes to deal with, but it sure sounds like Ollie could learn a thing or two from Benteke about being clinical. 

Benteke averages just over 7 league goals a season since he left here. Thats not clinical

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Benteke averages just over 7 league goals a season since he left here. Thats not clinical

Well he most likely wasn't talking about his time since Villa. Everyone knows he wasn't the same player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well he most likely wasn't talking about his time since Villa. Everyone knows he wasn't the same player.

Yup. Don't want to stray too off-topic (I mean, it's inevitable to talk about other Villa strikers in talking about Duran, too), but at Villa, Benteke could almost be the definition of clinical. A lot of delicately placed goals that looked like someone going for a double 13 on a dartboard. Very controlled and composed in the heat of the moment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Villa Benteke vs non Villa Benteke is not even the same universe. I dont know why. Injury? Finding the right club at the right time? Whatever the reason, he never got close to his Villa self and remains the best all round striker I have seen in my time as a Villa fan, going back to 1980.

Duran has the same fire and potential I saw in Benteke. Its very early days but he's very, very exciting. Pace, power, audacity, attitude, awareness. 19 years old.

Indeed. I hope his trajectory will be similar to Dougie who has has just got better and better. I think Unai could shape Duran to be an absolute weapon 🙏 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Villa Benteke vs non Villa Benteke is not even the same universe. I dont know why. Injury? Finding the right club at the right time? Whatever the reason, he never got close to his Villa self and remains the best all round striker I have seen in my time as a Villa fan, going back to 1980.

Duran has the same fire and potential I saw in Benteke. Its very early days but he's very, very exciting. Pace, power, audacity, attitude, awareness. 19 years old.

One of those mysteries. I agree. I know many people don't care much for the MLS, but Christian is still considered incredibly valuable as a striker here. Obviously post-Premier League era for him, and he's no longer capped for Belgium.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

for a 19 year old, he has a huge bundle of Courage.

That might seem incidental to some......but to me, its paramount.....and shows the intent of the player.

He isn't afraid to fail, he doesn't play safe....His pursuit of the objective, has no distraction...He has one focus.....Goal!!!

I have read with interest, your comparison, with the 19-year-old Dundee United Andy Gray, I can see where you’re coming from. I am very excited.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

1. Injury

2. Being at a club built entirely around you scoring goals. He kept us up, the team was built to serve him. Liverpool don't do that unless you're Salah quality. 

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Not in the Cup Final against Arsenal.

15 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I dont know why.

Because at Villa everything went through him.

All our tacics revolved around Benteke and getting the ball to him as often as possible.

At Liverpool he was just a cog.

Said before but it's easier to stand out when you are surrounded by mediocrity 

Edited by Pinebro

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

No way he's 160lbs. I'm 5'11, 163. And I'm pretty skinny. Duran has to be at least 175. Plus I think he's probably taller than 6'1, looks more like 6'2 or even 6'3 on the pitch.

There's  something  about  the way a lot of sportsmen carry themselves that makes them seem a lot bigger in the flesh somehow - posture maybe.  Remember seeing George Weah at VP, he just seemed like  a giant even though he wasn't  the tallest on the pitch. Likewise meeting Mike Atherton,  he seemed huge. 

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Because at Villa everything went through him.

All our tacics revolved around Benteke and getting the ball to him as often as possible.

At Liverpool he was just a cog.

Said before but it's easier to stand out when you are surrounded by mediocrity 

Still think his achilles injury ruined him.

• Like 2

Â