Jhon Durán

PieFacE

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm not sure about that. 

Was a moment he was put through the middle yesterday. I was absolutely certain he'd bear down on goal and get a shot away and was surprised how easily the defender caught him. 

I turned to the lad and said "he's not very quick is he?" 

Yes I know the moment you're talking about. He gets barged and was off balance, allowing the defender to get back to him. He was trying to switch the ball to his preferred left between two defenders. Not a great example. 

He is absolutely A1 rapid I can assure you. He's had the odd moment (he's barely played) where I've literally stood up and gone "holy s**t this is proper gas". 

Better showcases of his speed would be his cameos in the City and Leicester games earlier in the season. 

Long stride + rapid acceleration = gas. Think it all is moving so fast for him, really wish we have cup and europe next year to get him up to speed. MLS defending is so low pressure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Long stride + rapid acceleration = gas. Think it all is moving so fast for him, really wish we have cup and europe next year to get him up to speed. MLS defending is so low pressure. 

Really think he’ll go on loan for next season and Archer will come back as third striker, with Ollie and a new striker coming in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Tbf that's not really a fair comparison. Brentford and Brighton tend to sign players that are ready to slot right in and they do it impressively. 

Duran is nowhere near ready for the PL and I fully expect him to go on loan for a season or 2.

I just dont agree with this, especially Brighton will sign players and wait seasons before they slot them in, this is imo what makes them so successfull, eases pressure, lets them adapt to UK and premier league training. Klopp often does the same, fans will get annoyed as he wont use new players till they are properly implementet 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I just dont agree with this, especially Brighton will sign players and wait seasons before they slot them in, this is imo what makes them so successfull, eases pressure, lets them adapt to UK and premier league training. Klopp often does the same, fans will get annoyed as he wont use new players till they are properly implementet 

Brentford seem to have replacements immediately lined up every time they sell a player. Watkins/Toney for example. Their scouting network is pretty impressive.

17 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Brentford seem to have replacements immediately lined up every time they sell a player. Watkins/Toney for example. Their scouting network is pretty impressive.

It really is.

My personal opinion, is that the biggest difference is that they can afford to and their fans allow players to develop, whereas our fan base typically expects performances from the off. 

On 14/05/2023 at 19:21, GlobalVillan said:

Tbf that's not really a fair comparison. Brentford and Brighton tend to sign players that are ready to slot right in and they do it impressively. 

Duran is nowhere near ready for the PL and I fully expect him to go on loan for a season or 2.

Really? Brentford signed Schade in January and I don't think he's even scored for them yet. They also signed Caciedo and loaned him out to Belgium for a year.

We need to do the same with Duran. Hopefully we'll play a 50 + season so we do really need a reliable and more experienced back up just in case Ollie picks up a rare injury. Worst thing we can do is get complacent with CF position as currently in our squad it's the biggest drop off in our spine positions bar keeper so we aren't challenging for top 6 next season if a Duran type is playing 10 games as our starting CF.

That's in addition to giving Archer a proper chance aswell.

On 14/05/2023 at 19:57, Delphinho123 said:

Got a long way to go. 

Still seems an odd signing to me. 

He showed plenty of potential in MLS. However it took Almiron a couple of years to do anything consistent at Newcastle so he was never going to rip it up straight away here.

We are certainly fortunate Ollie pretty much plays 35 league games a season. If our CF had Ings type injury record we simply wouldn't be doing that well so need to sort it in the summer given we're one of the lowest scorers in the top half.

Would want to see much more of Duran before giving a view on his worth and ability. From what I have seen though I would have thought that Archer offered a more aggressive and exciting forward, at a guess a more potent goal threat too. 

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He showed plenty of potential in MLS. However it took Almiron a couple of years to do anything consistent at Newcastle so he was never going to rip it up straight away here.

We are certainly fortunate Ollie pretty much plays 35 league games a season. If our CF had Ings type injury record we simply wouldn't be doing that well so need to sort it in the summer given we're one of the lowest scorers in the top half.

Almiron was 24 when he joined Newcastle though.  Duran needs a loan to a lower European league, let him play and score. Bringing him on for 10 mins here and there isn't going to benefit him.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Almiron was 24 when he joined Newcastle though.  Duran needs a loan to a lower European league, let him play and score. Bringing him on for 10 mins here and there isn't going to benefit him.

Funny thing is that Duran was about 6 inches away from probably getting a start if that thunderbastard had gone in against Man City. 

On 14/05/2023 at 17:59, sidcow said:

I'm not sure about that. 

Was a moment he was put through the middle yesterday. I was absolutely certain he'd bear down on goal and get a shot away and was surprised how easily the defender caught him. 

I turned to the lad and said "he's not very quick is he?" 

He is quick without the ball but he is pretty awful running at speed with the ball. He doesnt get the instant control needed. So he has to slow a little before bursting again. 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

19 years old, and we've only seen him in scraps of minutes.

Writing him off/judging him fully already - ridiculous.

I don't think people are writing him off, just that he's not ready for PL football.  Needs a loan.

Obviously it's depending on how he develops over the summer but if we fail to get European football I think Vitoria would be a good loan destination since he'll be getting European cup football with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Â