Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Why would we sign any strikers unless one of Ings or Watkins is going out the door? You didn't respond the last time I raised this point.

If neither of them leave, we won't be able to buy another one. 

Watkins is injured, not being sold. Cant buy someone just to cover his time injured.  And His injury means we probably can't sell him. 

Ings is highly paid and cost us a lot. His form since means we won't be getting much back from selling him.  If we sell him significnatly below his book value then we actually hurt ourselves more financially from an FFP perspective in this window than we would keeping him. 

We cannot afford the wages of 3 PL level first team strikers, when we only play one. Not to mention, if you are hoping for someone better than them two they're going to be on an even bigger salary.

I think your expectations for a new first team striker are going unfulfilled. And its not because we're screwed financially already.  But we probably would be if we bought one.

Watkins looks like he's back in training anyway going by the pics on the OS, so may start at the weekend.

Our problem hasn't been the strikers not scoring though, it's been creating chances.

We have scored 22 league goals from an xG of 23.2, so pretty much on par.

The problem lies in that we are 15th in big chances created. We simply havn't created enough.

It appears Emery is addressing this though with the signing of Moreno, and the players we've been linked with being progressive midfield types and wide attackers. 

If we can create more chances, we'll score more goals.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Watkins looks like he's back in training anyway going by the pics on the OS, so may start at the weekend.

Our problem hasn't been the strikers not scoring though, it's been creating chances.

We have scored 22 league goals from an xG of 23.2, so pretty much on par.

The problem lies in that we are 15th in big chances created. We simply havn't created enough.

It appears Emery is addressing this though with the signing of Moreno, and the players we've been linked with being progressive midfield types and wide attackers. 

If we can create more chances, we'll score more goals.

Indeed. And I'm sure Ings and Watkins will both play better for Emery than they did under Gerrard. They've already looked better, the goals will come.

Edit: back on topic, I do wonder why we were in such a rush to complete the formalities of this one if Watkins will be fit. I can't imagine they'll have him and Watkins/Ings on the bench if Watkins is fit.

Surely we could have let him finish the u21 tournament and get some competitive game time? Suppose the level is significantly below PL, but not sure why we needed us to rush him over here.

Edited by MrBlack

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Indeed. And I'm sure Ings and Watkins will both play better for Emery than they did under Gerrard. They've already looked better, the goals will come.

Edit: back on topic, I do wonder why we were in such a rush to complete the formalities of this one if Watkins will be fit. I can't imagine they'll have him and Watkins/Ings on the bench if Watkins is fit.

Surely we could have let him finish the u21 tournament and get some competitive game time? Suppose the level is significantly below PL, but not sure why we needed us to rush him over here.

Maybe Watkins was touch and go, but it looks like he's back in training.

Also, the way I read it was that he's withdrew to complete his medical etc., it didn't specifically say he wouldn't return to Colombia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Only got 2 strikers in the squad. Watkins had to withdraw the last match so who knows if he'll still be carrying a knock, Ings has been spotty with his hamstring and other ailments. We could recall Archer but he doesn't seem to be rated for whatever reason.

Squad is painfully thin at striker.

Edited by DJBOB

49 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Only got 2 strikers in the squad. Watkins had to withdraw the last match so who knows if he'll still be carrying a knock, Ings has been spotty with his hamstring and other ailments. We could recall Archer but he doesn't seem to be rated for whatever reason.

Squad is painfully thin at striker.

Duran will arrive, after Southampton there is two weeks break. I think we’re fine in that department for now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think they will both be on the bench.  It basically gives UE more options if things aren't working with the current formation.  If the opposition have parked the bus on the edge of their box then bring on Ings and utilise his "fox in the box" attributes to try and find a breakthrough.  If we are struggling against a press or playing on the break then having the power and pace of Duran gives us better options than Ings would.  For example - Ings was a good option against Wolves (scored one and provided a great potential assist) but not so good against Leeds - when maybe having Duran and Bailey attacking space at speed was the better outlet.

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think it would be better for him to try and get settled in England and spend time on the training pitch with his new team-mates.  As we saw against Leeds the quicker we can get our new signings on the training pitch, building an understanding with their new team-mates the better - because you never know when they might have to get thrown on because of an injury.

34 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Is this guy the new back up striker if Ings is off?

Surely can’t be the case.  The kid is raw, sure if he’s around the squad he gets a few minutes but surely we need another striker with Ollie.  The kid will be 3rd choice striker, it’s a massive step up for him.  If we sell Ings we surely have somebody else coming in.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Surely can’t be the case.  The kid is raw, sure if he’s around the squad he gets a few minutes but surely we need another striker with Ollie.  The kid will be 3rd choice striker, it’s a massive step up for him.  If we sell Ings we surely have somebody else coming in.

Really can’t see it happening either unless there’s a replacement 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Transfermarkt podcast are saying he will be a project player, interesting to hear that he has only seemed to score with his left foot

And head. He's very one footed. In the highlights and videos I've seen he's almost as one footed as Bertie. That needs to be something we work with him on. 

23 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

And head. He's very one footed. In the highlights and videos I've seen he's almost as one footed as Bertie. That needs to be something we work with him on. 

I remember Trevor Brooking (I know) saying somewhere that unless you start at age 7 or 8 that you can't do much other than very slightly improve one footedness.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I remember Trevor Brooking (I know) saying somewhere that unless you start at age 7 or 8 that you can't do much other than very slightly improve one footedness.

My FM experience do not agree, hence I believe it can improve 😎

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah but it could simply be a question of confidence rather than actual ability. From what I've seen he's hit a couple of decent passes with his right foot. It's a question of him being less over reliant on his left  when dribbling and passing 

• Like 1

Â