Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I thought he battled Saka well and gave him a lot of grief. Telling that he got under Saka’s skin. Not an easy job trying to mark that Saka-Odegaard-White combo but more than held his own with help from Kamara and Coutinho/Ramsay. 

And of course a lovely assist. 

My thoughts exactly! 

I think he had a great game. If others were as intelligent as he is he would have been played through a few more times too.

• Like 2

I think he's a good player. Not fantastic, but can't ask for too much from a player who cost £15m in a nightmare market.

Happy we've improved an area of the squad, hopefully Digne has started his last important game for us.

He spent much of the Arsenal match pinned back by Saka and we didn't get to see as much of him in attack (the 2nd goal being an obvious exception). I think that's why Unai started Coutinho and played more of a 4-3-3...he knew Moreno would need to defend and wanted someone else who could provide width on the left. We should see more forward runs from Moreno this week.

On 18/02/2023 at 16:45, Tom13 said:

Thought he was defensively pretty solid today. Was well up for the battle.

Going forward though, he gives us something we haven't had for years. Pacey, intelligent runs in behind, he can dribble as well, and crucially, he has the composure for the final cutback. Makes it easier to make the cutback as well as he gets into such good positions. A very good signing IMO.

Also, cutback is not even in Digne's vocabulary. His whole thing is crossing from deep because he doesn't have the athleticism to overlap like Moreno and get crosses in. It was good at Everton, but it just doesn't suit us right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Also, cutback is not even in Digne's vocabulary. His whole thing is crossing from deep because he doesn't have the athleticism to overlap like Moreno and get crosses in. It was good at Everton, but it just doesn't suit us right now.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Not sure on this guy yet, he can put a decent ball in the box but we’ve not seen it enough yet, other than that I’m not sure he has any other strong features to his game.

He needs to work on his positioning, in the game on Saturday there was a moment when Mings was shouting and pointing at him to move wider (when Martinez had possession).

• Like 3

12m for Moreno, a steal, great player.

yeah he isnt perfect, but i dont remember the last time i saw such a progressive/technical full back at Villa, its a sight to behold.

And oh my lord is he fast, he's rapid like we thought Bailey was lol.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

When we played Wolves, and they had the option of either Bueno or Ait-Nouri at left back, both players who are very comfortable on the ball and can both dribble, it stood out more than ever how we were crying out for someone of that ilk in the fullback position. Now we've got one.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

He’s very, active if that’s the word. Never quite know is he going to get dispossessed or beat 3 or 4 men, sprint into the opposition half and get a cross in. Doesn’t seem to plant his feet much ( not a criticism, just an observation ) always kinda bouncing on his heels and keeps moving , yeah. 

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Vastly prefer him to Digne who is just Targett v2 for me.

I don’t think at this next stage of our evolution we need to pick our favourites of one or the other in each position. When Moreno got booked, in a game where the ref was flashing cards, it was amazing to be able to bring on an experienced and accomplished PL player to replace him without dropping the level. Moreno looks like a really smart signing but I actually think Digne is getting a lot of grief right now despite playing pretty well. His ball to Watkins last week for the header Pickford tipped onto the post was lovely.

• Like 1

Â