VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

In the very specific genre of Dub Poetry Benjamin Zephaniah would have been one of the most recognisable names by anyone with an interest. Probably the second most famous artist in that genre behind Linton Kwesei Johnson and that would be a close run thing.

He was a Poet Laureate nominee, a professor of poetry at Oxford University. Even widening it out to the field of Poetry, in modern British terms he’d still be one of the most recognised names.

I think that qualifies as legendary

Totally right, LKJ was massive but Benjamin Zephaniah was too and made the step into "traditional" poetry and was hugely well regarded which is something LKJ didn't do. Sad news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

other than some Villa promo thing that he did , what am I missing .. and please don't say poetry cause that's  below country music and wine on things that nobody should ever give a crap about 

Country music, wine and poetry are all essential to my life and happiness. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

specific genre of Dub Poetry Benjamin Zephaniah .... I think that qualifies as legendary

to about 25 people yes  

If i described Stuart Adamson as legendary  , i suspect there would be more than a few comments of "who " and sniggering from the back etc 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Country music, wine and poetry are all essential to my life and happiness. 

well , I guess that explains  a LOT :D 

sorry  , I'm only kidding , no harm intended 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

RIP Benjamin.  Saw him in the wild once, somewhere on the Kings Road in Chelsea and I’ll admit to being a tiny bit starstruck. 

He came to my sixth form college once and did some poems. All of 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

when was the last time you went and got a book of poems and though , I'll just read these  in the back garden whilst enjoying the sunshine  ?

Last June. John Betjeman's "Summoned by Bells" is my regular 'Summer in the garden' go-to with a cold beer. 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

but my question really was around the use of  legendary writer and poet ... how many people will have read a piece of his work ? 

FWIW, he got a fairly significant obit piece (and a headline) on tonight's BBC national news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

to about 25 people yes  

If i described Stuart Adamson as legendary  , i suspect there would be more than a few comments of "who " and sniggering from the back etc 

BZ is in The Times list of the best post 1945 British writers, thats creative writers in any field, alongside Iain Banks, Berryl Bainbridge, Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, Michael Moorcroft… He really isn’t as unknown you seem to think. Outside of the Toblerone Theme Park he’s very well known.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

In the very specific genre of Dub Poetry Benjamin Zephaniah would have been one of the most recognisable names by anyone with an interest. Probably the second most famous artist in that genre behind Linton Kwesei Johnson and that would be a close run thing.

He was a Poet Laureate nominee, a professor of poetry at Oxford University. Even widening it out to the field of Poetry, in modern British terms he’d still be one of the most recognised names.

I think that qualifies as legendary

One of Zephaniah's poems was in the anthology we had to study for GCSE English Literature back in about 2000/01.  I suspect there would be a decent proportion of people round my school age would have at least recognised the name, even if like me they wiped all poetry out of their brain at the first opportunity after leaving school.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Ha .. I’ve  heard of some of them 

Actually two of them don't exist (at least in Bicks's spelling). 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Iain Banks, Berryl Bainbridge, Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, Michael Moorcroft

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Actually two of them don't exist (at least in Bicks's spelling). 

See I’m not falling for it , I knew about Iain Banks  the goalkeeper and. Michael Moorcroft the swimmer , but nice try 

Edited by tonyh29

18 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Nobody is dying on any hill 

tbh , a thread where people earn points for deaths to rise up a league table is hardly the place for anyone to start trying to be precious or take any form of moral high ground 

but you knew that already …

Whoah, there. Not claiming any moral high ground or being precious. Just found it an odd choice of stance to insist upon, given the mood in the room. 

• Like 1