The Greatest... Taker of Freekicks... Of All Time

Chindie

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think less direct free kicks are scored nowadays. Or it feels that way. Better and more agile keepers maybe?

unless they are against Villa naturally

Ward Prowse scoring 2 in one game must be so rare, probably have more chance to win the lottery

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think less direct free kicks are scored nowadays. Or it feels that way. Better and more agile keepers maybe?

Other factors would be more prevalent.  You’re right in saying fewer free kicks are being scored but it’s not a number that is plummeting and the overall number per league per season can be inflated by one or two players going all James Ward-Prowse and scoring loads, but players just don’t shoot as often these days, you’ll see more routines worked as coaches have decided/realised that’s more effective.  You’ll see bigger walls now as the players almost always jump and leave a man lying down and of course the layer of mystery has all but gone as so much footage exists these days of which way the best players tend to go.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Worst goes to Roberto Carlos. Row Z merchant.

But has the best ever free kick on his CV surely? Maybe Beckham for a lot of us because of what it meant in that moment

Bit like Ronaldo, total myth because he did it once or twice and then missed the next 100+

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But has the best ever free kick on his CV surely? Maybe Beckham for a lot of us because of what it meant in that moment

Bit like Ronaldo, total myth because he did it once or twice and then missed the next 100+

I think he has even said it wasn't intentional

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I suppose this will be the nearest thing we’ll have to a second Leandro Bacuna thread.

Hide contents

gUK.gif

I wondered how long it would take for his name to crop up. VT never let's you down. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe more whip than he intended but I'm not sure how the whole thing could be unintentional, what else could he be trying to do?!

I think he was trying to shoot but he didnt mean the technique on it

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

In fairness there won't be many Villa names in here. I can't recall us ever having a reliable direct free kick taker. Young I think scored a couple, Solano the same, Hitzlsperger got a couple (and in fairness I think he got a couple where he smashed it into the wall and then hammered the rebound in...)...

We've not really been any good with dead ball situations in decades. Bar that season with Young and Laursen banging in corners.

Even when we sign someone with a bit of a rep, they immediately turn to shit. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Players lying down behind the wall. 

It's cut out like 80% of free kicks. I don't know why they bother with them any more to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I think it was easier to get the old heavy balls up and down from close range, and to put some proper curl on them. The modern lighter balls have led to the knuckle ball style that Ronaldo and Rashford use, which looks amazing when it works, but more often flies into the stands.

The old Roberto Carlos style FK has pretty much died out because you just can't hit a modern football like that.

Some great names mentioned so far (Mihaijlovic, Juninho Pe, Beckham, Zico), but I'll add a few who were good:

• Matt Le Tissier - probably would have scored a lot more playing for a better side
  • Messi - has scored 60 odd FKs 
  • Michel Platini - scored 50. Criminally underrated in the "greatest player" debates IMO, 3 Ballons d'Or, and won pretty much everything at club and international level... shame he's been a prick in retirement
  • Gheorghe Hagi
  • Del Piero - scored 53 FKs:

• Like 1

Â