The Greatest... Taker of Freekicks... Of All Time

Chindie

So with the untimely death of Mihajlovic, the legendary Serbian whose freekicks terrified Serie A through the 90s and early 00s, the thought arises... Who is the Greatest Taker of Freekicks Of All Time (the GTFOAT, if you will)?

Mihajlovic and Juninho Pernambuco jump to mind, but who else is in the title fight?

• Like 4

Juan Arango never met a dead-ball he couldn't bury.  Sure, he won't be up there with the insane Juninho P. numbers, but a cursory glance at some stats has him at 26 career goals from direct free-kicks.

Edit: for comparison, Mihajlovic at 25 (which seems low, it's only transfermarkt stats I'm going by so I'm not too sure of the veracity of that one) and Juninho P. a whopper 41.  Wowzers.

Edit Edit: as per @sne below, that Mihajlovic 25 number is bollocks.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

In fairness there won't be many Villa names in here. I can't recall us ever having a reliable direct free kick taker. Young I think scored a couple, Solano the same, Hitzlsperger got a couple (and in fairness I think he got a couple where he smashed it into the wall and then hammered the rebound in...)...

We've not really been any good with dead ball situations in decades. Bar that season with Young and Laursen banging in corners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

Nilis is the second biggest what-if? of my lifetime, right after that cute brunette I was too oblivious to realise was flirting with me on those bus rides to college.

Can't say about that brunette but Nilis is among my maybe top-5 favorite players of all time. He was an artist in a similar way to Ronaldinho almost.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Looking up some stats and no way this can be true but apparently Ronaldo has scored 58 free kicks 😂

Not surprising, he's probably took two in every match he's played for the last 12-13 years so that would be about 1000 free kicks. A few would go in just by chance

I vote Carlos just for the sheer 'putting whole tree trunk sized thigh into it' power he used. Apparently scored 59 free kicks

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think less direct free kicks are scored nowadays. Or it feels that way. Better and more agile keepers maybe?

Think it must have something to do with these modern footballs. 

• Like 1

Â