Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well this forum is its own bubble of very left wing people, both fiscally and socially/culturally. So you'll get the echo chamber basically. 

Is Dave Chappelle the outlier?

I will elaborate, Dave Chappelle tends to riff in right wing viewpoints in a much cleverer way than Gervais. Gervais plays to an audience that believe what he says is what he believes, but have it presented in the simplest of terms. 

There are much better right wing comedians, Geoff Norcott is pretty good. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is Dave Chappelle the outlier?

I will elaborate, Dave Chappelle tends to riff in right wing viewpoints in a much cleverer way than Gervais. Gervais plays to an audience that believe what he says is what he believes, but have it presented in the simplest of terms. 

There are much better right wing comedians, Geoff Norcott is pretty good. 

My point was different people have different likes and dislikes nothing more so than comedy. Gervais isn't right wing, he's just a comedian who will make jokes at anything and everything and has. 

48 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My point was different people have different likes and dislikes nothing more so than comedy. Gervais isn't right wing, he's just a comedian who will make jokes at anything and everything and has. 

He punches down for personal gain. he’s as right wing as it’s possible to get. 

• Confused 1

Gervais was doing a radio show in the late 90s and early 2000s where they had a feature called cheeky freak of the week and regularly laughed at all manner of things such as Chinese people and other cultural differences.

To be fair to him he hasn't really changed since before he was famous which i think would be his argument that he's not punching down, he's just doing comedian things. Whether you find them funny or offensive is entirely up to you.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Am going to see Chris Kent at the glee club (never been there before) in March. He is a comedian from my parents hometown of Cork (northside naturally).

Funny enough in short Instagram clips. The missus will deffo struggle understanding his accent though 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

He punches down for personal gain. he’s as right wing as it’s possible to get. 

I think you need to update your definition of right wing.

You might think it but It's not left wing good, right wing bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Gervais was doing a radio show in the late 90s and early 2000s where they had a feature called cheeky freak of the week and regularly laughed at all manner of things such as Chinese people and other cultural differences.

Do you mean that segment where he frequently berated Karl for having those offensive opinions? It wasn't Ricky ridiculing/marginalising those groups, he like many people just find humour in the shocking things that people say. 

It wasn’t that long ago Gervais was almost universally lauded as being a comic genius.

He hasn’t changed, society has, which ironically enough was kinda the point he was making repeatedly during Supernature.

• Like 2

Just now, TreeVillan said:

I think you need to update your definition of right wing.

You might think it but It's not left wing good, right wing bad.

I was channel hopping over the holidays, I found part of one of his stand up shows playing. So I watched about 10 minutes of it, as it had been a subject on here. In the 10 minutes I watched, his material (and fair play to him, he found his material hilarious), he made jokes about a fat woman, a disabled kid, and ‘Africans’. It might have been a dip in an otherwise stronger set, I dunno, I went off channel hopping again.

I think I’ll stick with my definition of right wing, your version of left wing good, right wing bad is a bit simplistic.

17 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Do you mean that segment where he frequently berated Karl for having those offensive opinions? It wasn't Ricky ridiculing/marginalising those groups, he like many people just find humour in the shocking things that people say. 

Not sure I agree, berating Karl was part of the act. It was his show and I’m sure he knew exactly what was going to be discussed, especially the planned Karl segments.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well this forum is its own bubble of very left wing people, both fiscally and socially/culturally. So you'll get the echo chamber basically. 

Ricky Gervais is left wing. Very left wing in fact

The only reason you'd think other wise is if you subscribe to the "you can't say anything these days" attitude of people just don't like him because he's offensive.

As has already been discussed, I don't like Gervais' recent standup. It's nothing to do with it being offensive. I like his style of comedy. It's more because it's just not funny

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It wasn’t that long ago Gervais was almost universally lauded as being a comic genius.

He hasn’t changed, society has, which ironically enough was kinda the point he was making repeatedly during Supernature.

Again, it's nothing to do with his style of comedy. His style of comedy is still funny.

His material has gotten weaker, that's all. 

His old standup/podcasts/tv shows still standup today. Some of it might be thought of as a bit inappropriate now, but it would still be funny.

His current stuff just isn't funny. It's nothing to do with society deciding he's offensive. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bickster said:

Just come back from the latest Jonathon Pie tour

Absolutely superb

When I went to see him in the Glee club in Cardiff a few years ago I got put directly under a speaker which was so loud I had ringing in my ears for 2 days afterwards. I considered leaving but as Id not bought earplugs I sat and watched him with my fingers in my ears. I know he saw me. I often wonder what he made of it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

When I went to see him in the Glee club in Cardiff a few years ago I got put directly under a speaker which was so loud I had ringing in my ears for 2 days afterwards. I considered leaving but as Id not bought earplugs I sat and watched him with my fingers in my ears. I know he saw me. I often wonder what he made of it.

Fortunately, being experienced Philharmonic Hall mingebags, we were sat on the back row of the circle (cheapest seats in the house), where we know the view will be excellent and the acoustics easily sufficient. We also know the seat numbers for the seats at the top of the walkways for maximum leg room and the least restricted view possible. This wasn't an issue :D 

• Like 1

Â