Who in your opinion is the GOAT?

leighavfc

Going to sit down and finally watch the Messi documentary on the iPlayer tonight. For me, not only my favourite player of my lifetime so far but in my opinion probably the best to have ever played the game. It got me interested in other peoples opinions, especially those who have lived through all or many of the suggested players time and careers.

I'm 34 so I would say in my lifetime the contenders would be R9, CR7, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldinho. You then have too obviously add to that list Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano...would anybody add any others in to that list? Now I have only seen footage, documentaries and various other bits of these players but admittedly as an avid football fan I have watched a lot of this kind of stuff on them all so would like to think I have a fair idea of how good they were. Obviously seeing these players live regularly would be a big a big help to my opinion!

There are a hell of a lot of caveats and arguments for each player, also peoples opinions of what makes a certain player the greatest vary's too which makes the whole debate interesting to me! I fortunately have had the pleasure to see all the modern day players I mentioned above live a few times and of course they are all amazing once in a generation players for their own reasons. I wish I could have seen some of the older generation players too!

Without trying to be biased and looking at it with an open mind...it's Messi for me as the greatest of all time. What he can do with a ball, the vision, all kinds of different types of goals, being almost a one man team at times, being totally unplayable against on his day just being a few of my reasonings. I'm fairly certain that in my lifetime we will not see another player like him either. 

So who is yours? 

Mods: apologies if there is already a thread on this, please merge mine into that if there is!

Edited by leighavfc

Just now, villa4europe said:

Messi

But in terms of paying money to go watch someone play I'm still happy that I've seen Ronaldinho in the flesh and he definitley did not disappoint

Yep totally agree! I loved Ronaldinho and would actually say I a little more joy out of watching him than Messi. Unfortunately I think the way his career went downhill so to speak at a younger age then many of the rest probably keeps him out the discussion of the best ever. Technically wise probably edges Messi as the best ever though!

• Like 1

I can't believe there has ever been a better player than Messi, I don't know whether he is actually autistic but he can do stuff that's not normal.  I loved Brazilian Ronaldo when I was a kid.  Maradona looks like the most skillful player ever, just tarnished his career a bit too much.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Controversially, brilliant as he was, I'm not sure Brazilian Ronaldo would make my top ten.

I'm not sure Portuguese Ronaldo would make mine...

I just don't get any joy from him, I appreciate that he's a stattos wet dream and the way he's redefined professionalism in certain ways in football but I didnt enjoy watching him when he was young with the 15 step over bullshit and I didnt enjoy him at Madrid when he was almost robotic like scoring every game

Like I said before I would pay to watch Ronaldinho play, I've seen Ronaldo play 3 times at VP I think and I just don't get the buzz and excitement from him, never have

On stats and Ronaldos though Brazilian Ronaldo scored 414 career goals, 88 of them was going round the keeper, that is one of the best stats in football, its mental when you think about it, don't see it that often anymore

• Like 2

Messi in the modern game. Untouchable.

People who say Ronaldo... I just don't think get what's going on. They prioritise all the wrong things.

Unfair to directly compare the likes of Maradona, even R9 with Messi. They could, and did, get booted and chopped out of games. It was pretty much a different sport.

They are incredible in their own way. No guarantee Messi would succeed with that level of aggression coming after him.

Maradona for me, I read his book El Diego the day it was released. I always thought he was the best, my first World Cup memory was '86 and yes he broke our hearts but what a player. When you read the book and understand him, the injuries, suffering and pain he often went through to play you respect him.

If you watch the recent documentary about him then you realise also the Mafia in Naples ruined him.

Messi also is incredible, his goal against Getafe is a carbon-copy of Maradona against England.

Maradona easily. Not just his World Cup win but he was the best player for 3/4 seasons in probably the toughest league ever

A league so rough they changed the actual football rules so no tackling from behind

Messi. No question.

He is one of, if not THE, greatest goalscorers we've ever seen. He has one of the best ranges of passing we've ever seen. He is one of, if not THE, greatest dribblers we've ever seen.

In fact, had he never scored a single goal, he'd still be in the GOAT conversation for his passing and dribbling.

Simply incredible. Nobody comes close.

Â