Brazil Presidential Election 2022

KentVillan

46 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Why are we bothered about this?

p.s. that is a genuine question, I have no idea

One of the largest economies in the world (which no doubt Brexiteers have lined up for a super duper amazeballs trade deal which will be trumpeted to the rooftops but almost certainly be worse than we had as part of the EU) 

Yet a country with huge amounts of corruption. You would hope that a lefty Government would at least try to sort it out and the Right wingers exasperate it. 

But probably more importantly it's home to The Amazon Rainforest which the current government are allowing to be decimated. The lungs of the planet being choked to death. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in the global far right thread earlier. Seen a lot on social media about an attempted coup, thread below just one example. Reports that over 3 million voters have been affected.  Can't say this is a huge surprise. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

That's good enough for me I suppose

COME ON LULA

Bolsonaro is like Trump while Lula has recently been released from prison for fraud

Is no winner in this for Brazil though Lula seems best of 2 evils

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I posted this in the global far right thread earlier. Seen a lot on social media about an attempted coup, thread below just one example. Reports that over 3 million voters have been affected.  Can't say this is a huge surprise. 

Bolsanero is very popular in the military which is the big worry if he doesnt win

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Why are we bothered about this?

p.s. that is a genuine question, I have no idea

One of the biggest countries in the world which could be a superpower if they wanted.

Lula winning is a win for the global fight against far right extremism and destruction of the environment. 

A huge symbolic win for the global Left.

And a huge practical win for the poor and disenfranchised in Brazil, including Amazon tribes.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Has anyone seen any indication that Bolsonaro has accepted defeat yet?

He will play it just like Trump. Deny he was beaten (he already said if he didn't get 60% of the vote then it was rigged.)

He'll claim fraud and unfortunately he's got the army on his side. The left might claim a victory today, but what happens next might set a very unpleasant precedent for upcoming elections. (Obviously I'm thinking about 2024.)

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bolsonaro is like Trump while Lula has recently been released from prison for fraud

Is no winner in this for Brazil though Lula seems best of 2 evils

Lula was cleared and his sentence erased. 

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He will play it just like Trump. Deny he was beaten (he already said if he didn't get 60% of the vote then it was rigged.)

He'll claim fraud and unfortunately he's got the army on his side. The left might claim a victory today, but what happens next might set a very unpleasant precedent for upcoming elections. (Obviously I'm thinking about 2024.)

I'm currently reading a book on the rise and fall of the third Reich. Some of the similarities to what is currently going on around the world is quite scary. 

• Sad 2