The Tea thread

StewieGriffin

30 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Slightly off topic, but what are your thoughts on fizzy drinks with normal sugar vs sweeteners? Some people can't tell the difference but personally I can't stand the taste of sweeteners. It's ruined some of my favourite drinks over the years. 

Again, can’t sufficiently tell the difference. I drink the diet/zero sugar versions of coca cola or Pepsi, just because I think they’re probably not as unhealthy as their sugary counterparts. But I can’t really taste any real discernible difference.

Certainly not enough of a difference to make me have an opinion such as “oh Coke Zero is much nicer than Pepsi Max…”

However there are some things which I can tell the difference, something like Robinsons squash compared to a supermarket own brand (I often prefer the own brand). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

Slightly off topic, but what are your thoughts on fizzy drinks with normal sugar vs sweeteners? Some people can't tell the difference but personally I can't stand the taste of sweeteners. It's ruined some of my favourite drinks over the years. 

i'm the opposite. i hate full sugar fizzy drinks. haven't had a non-diet/zero can of pop in years

• Like 2

I have a taste led aversion to sweeteners, they've always tasted like a mouthful of chemicals to me.

You've already pointed out a dislike for my preferred tea brand from Harrogate. I don't find Clipper or Twinnings strong enough for my taste. I used to drink PGtips before I lived in Yorkshire and was converted. Never really got on with Tetley. Actively dislike Typhoo which I assume is swept up off the factory floor. My FIL likes Aldi's red label, but then he likes a weak brew that I would describe as more grey than brown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Also it’s fair trade organic free range and dolphin friendly, probably.

I really wish I liked the taste, Clipper are a company I always feel I'd like to share a pint with down the pub. IIRC they decaffinate their decaffienated stuff in a more expensive for them, less chemically extracting way than all other brands do.

They used to make a banana milk shake powder that was divine and sadly discontinued many years ago. #boringthread

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I really wish I liked the taste, Clipper are a company I always feel I'd like to share a pint with down the pub. IIRC they decaffinate their decaffienated stuff in a more expensive for them, less chemically extracting way than all other brands do.

They used to make a banana milk shake powder that was divine and sadly discontinued many years ago. #boringthread

I didn't know about this as I like a decaf of a night! Will go have a look at their website.

• Like 1

1790-01B.jpg.9b12b399ca1277e3daf6a6f78ff3a32f.jpg

Go loose with tea. You're unlikely to want to go back to bags.

Assam, Ceylon and African black tea taste like the tea we Brits are familiar with.

She doesn't drink tea in the morning, so I've got a Bodum YoYo for single cups.

Spent leaves into the food recycling bin, or the compost heap a few steps out the kitchen back door.

Not settled on a brand yet, tried a few too.

One of the Turkish brands, Tanay, is very good. I'd probably keep it in more often if I knew for definite they weren't flogging the staff?

image.jpeg.42a85de558c42925b029b55964a030cf.jpeg

Think it's around £9/10 a Kg from the shop. Three heaped tea spoons per cup.

There's no weirdness about it, it's just normal tea but better.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xann said:

One of the Turkish brands, Tanay, is very good. I'd probably keep it in more often if I knew for definite they weren't flogging the staff?

image.jpeg.42a85de558c42925b029b55964a030cf.jpeg

Think it's around £9/10 a Kg from the shop. Three heaped tea spoons per cup.

There's no weirdness about it, it's just normal tea but better.

Have you tried Caykur? A more mass brand Turkish tea. Probably cheaper to source. 

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Have you tried Caykur? A more mass brand Turkish tea. Probably cheaper to source. 

Aye, this one.

th-1520981462.jpg.f8b6efa322ae23a793ce455357052ff3.jpg

Not my favourite. It is a bit cheaper at around £7.

As opposed to the leafy Tanay, the Caykur is gunpowder style, but I was having to use 3 heaped teaspoons for a cup.

Mostly one heaped teaspoon has been the way with powdery black teas I've picked up.

Caykur do a black and gold bag too. Did try a someone's tea in those colours, it turned out to be Earl Grey.

Not for me, she liked it though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Can't drink full sugar pop anymore. Its just too sweet

I go for Max/Zero over Diet though, as there is a difference in the no sugar ones. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Reading positive reports of this biscuit tea. Is it worth investing in?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952jko0j50e0bli1oqgxl

I like it. Makes a nice change. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Can't drink full sugar pop anymore. Its just too sweet

I go for Max/Zero over Diet though, as there is a difference in the no sugar ones. 

ZX 

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Aye, this one.

th-1520981462.jpg.f8b6efa322ae23a793ce455357052ff3.jpg

Not my favourite. It is a bit cheaper at around £7.

This is my tea of choice since being in turkey earlier this year. I even got myself a çaydanlık so I can keep myself topped up all morning when wfh. Doing it Turkish-style (insert your own Kenneth) means you don’t have to use too much of the leaf as it continues to steep. 

• Like 1

It's PG or nothing for me - I didn't realise they'd changed it though, it still tastes the same to me. 

Yorkshire Tea always has a slight tinny taste. Typhoo and Tetley you only choose to drink if you're on a register.

On 14/05/2024 at 09:00, blandy said:

Clipper Everyday tea, and not just because I once won an absolute ton of their tea bags. Also it’s fair trade organic free range and dolphin friendly, probably. But it tastes of tea, like tea should.

cheers for the recommendation. was a decent brew. still not as good as PG used to be but certainly better than the others i've tried

Yorkshire Gold is the only commercial brand worth bothering with, the rest either tastes like piss or mud - and yes I would know. Hadn’t heard of the biscuit before now though, and I assumed this was a joke:

On 28/10/2022 at 19:45, Xela said:

Picked some up today. Along with the toast and jam flavour. 

Next you’ll be telling me there’s jam roly poly beer or something!

Actually don’t drink tea anymore  but if I did it would be brewed in a pot, even for one cup, and poured into a cup containing milk first because I’m not a savage.

52 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I'd bet my house on it. Exactly the sort of **** stupid thing craft beer clearings in the woods would do. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Image-2.png

Too easy!

• Haha 1

My wife and I sometimes joke about one of my English cousins -- in a good-natured way -- because of an incident where we were all on a very hot ramble in England somewhere, and afterwards, my cousin said. "I'm so thirsty," and got herself a hot tea. We wanted nothing but icy cold water or soda. My wife and I were sort of like, "Aww, that's so cute, English people, drinking hot tea after exercise. That's so adorably English!" Turns out, there's science to it, at least sometimes?

Yes, a hot drink can cool you down, but only in specific circumstances. “If you drink a hot drink, it does result in a lower amount of heat stored inside your body, provided the additional sweat that’s produced when you drink the hot drink can evaporate,” Jay says.

How does this work? “What we found is that when you ingest a hot drink, you actually have a disproportionate increase in the amount that you sweat,” Jay says. “Yes, the hot drink is hotter than your body temperature, so you are adding heat to the body, but the amount that you increase your sweating by—if that can all evaporate—more than compensates for the the added heat to the body from the fluid.”

The increased rate of perspiration is the key. Although sweat may seem like a nuisance, the body perspires for a very good reason. When sweat evaporates from the skin, energy is absorbed into the air as part of the reaction, thereby cooling the body. A larger amount of sweat means more cooling, which more than counteracts the small amount of heat contained in a hot beverage relative to the entire body.

Â