Unai Emery

PeterSw

I still don't understand why managers don't have big release clauses like players. People poach great managers and pay £10m in compensation - I'd like to see him with £150m release, something like that.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

You'd have to start at his feet, and upgrade through the season to his eyes. Free food and drinks on upgrading through each joint. 

Really?

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, saturdaygig said:

I still don't understand why managers don't have big release clauses like players. People poach great managers and pay £10m in compensation - I'd like to see him with £150m release, something like that.

Assume the other team just has to buy out the contract or something, we don't own the registration like we do with a player which gets the transfer fee. So with that in mind a contract extension means a bit less as a manager than for a player. Still a nice sign though.

47 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I genuinely think that in the future there will be papers/ studies done on the job Unai has done/ is doing/ will do at Villa

Sports tacticians, psychologists, physios and sports finance experts will all be looking at this as a gold standard model of approach going forward such is the turnaround and success I suspect he may bring us

Nah, he's just lucky because the players didn't want to play for Gerrard.

It seems like nothing has actually changed.

We had an option to take up the last year of his contract and we could have used it at anytime. We have chosen to use it now.

I would say this move is all about media management.

It demonstrates his commitment when there have been increasing numbers of stories about him being poached this summer and it creates some headlines countering the gossip. 

We don’t want those kind of unsettling stories for the rest of the run in so have tried to head them off. 

• Like 3

Trophies are obviously a mark of a manager's success (and Unai already has plenty of those) but an even bigger and rarer mark of success is when a club's entire identity begin to be shaped around that manager - think Ferguson at United and Wenger at Arsenal. Ideally I think that's what Unai would like to achieve here. We're putting the foundations in place for Aston Villa to effectively become Unai Emery FC.

Mutually exercise the option now on the current contract to ward off all the media noise, sign a new contract properly in the summer seems to be what's happening.

UTFV

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Trophies are obviously a mark of a manager's success (and Unai already has plenty of those) but an even bigger and rarer mark of success is when a club's entire identity begin to be shaped around that manager - think Ferguson at United and Wenger at Arsenal. Ideally I think that's what Unai would like to achieve here. We're putting the foundations in place for Aston Villa to effectively become Unai Emery FC.

ugh. not another new badge!

• Haha 3

This has been done as confirmation in that Emery sees this job as a long - term project. You can see already what he has created, in his season and a half, at this club. This harmonious climate which you can see and feel every time Villa play, especially when we win, is all down to the trust shown by the owners in giving the manager full control of everything related to the team. I doubt he will ever feel more "On cloud nine" than he does here. 

I see similarities to Klopp's reign at Liverpool, in the sense that, he will know, and feel himself when it's the right time to go.

Edited by sheepyvillian

11 minutes ago, Tubby said:

What we shouldn't fail to appreciate here, is that an elite manager is committed to our club and that the fan base is united in their support for him. As Villa fans, we have been desperate for something like this for as long as the Premier League has existed.  

Others will tell us that we are getting ahead of ourselves, that Unai has been forced out of more elite clubs in the past, and that he, or we, will reach an impasse at some point... Those commentators can suck my balls!

I'm going to enjoy every moment of this mutual love-in and when it ends, my football club will be in a better place and I will smile upon the countless irreplaceable memories.

UTV!  💜🩵

Not so long ago I yearned for the security of being mid table and not watching the table for relegation outcomes in October. 

I’m with you, I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this ride for as long as it goes. No meat left on the bone, no marrow in it. 

Â