Unai Emery

PeterSw

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I say, the same to him, and echo his sentiments to all VT followers

Merry Xmas boys and girls, and a happy new year.

Is the competition still open for manager of the season....UE 100% WALK IN. So far ahead of all the others. Comparing squad spend, take over position from Gerrard, ffp limitations, big six var fun and historical squad confidence...surely this last 12months is the biggest sporting turnaround in any sport. UE is a god amongst men. Utv

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/12/2023 at 13:14, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was more animated and angry than I've probably ever seen him yesterday.

That being said, in perspective, the fact that I'm annoyed we only took a point, to remain second in the League is mindblowing.

What progress!

Merry Xmas Shaun

I was more disappointed than angry....but I agree, after winning 15 on the bounce, losing to lowly Sheff utd, was hardly the fixture we would expect the run to end with....That shows what strides we have made.

I know, the nature of that draw will be looked at, and it will register on the agenda for Unai to work on.

We are WIP, so these type of things, will feature in the progress of the team.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Merry Xmas Shaun

I was more disappointed than angry....but I agree, after winning 15 on the bounce, losing to lowly Sheff utd, was hardly the fixture we would expect the run to end with....That shows what strides we have made.

I know, the nature of that draw will be looked at, and it will register on the agenda for Unai to work on.

We are WIP, so these type of things, will feature in the progress of the team.

Merry Christmas Paul!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Merry Christmas Paul!

just getting ready for my Xmas Dinner at the Swan ( Whittaker Heath).....The coaches sometimes go in there as a group, as its close to BMH

Make my day if Unai was having his dinner there too, as he has been in a few times...wishful thinking.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Wishing a very Merry Christmas to this man, who has changed all of our lives for the better. Thank you for everything Unai and hope you get to enjoy some downtime between analysing Man Utd's games from the last four seasons 👏👏👏

Merry Christmas, Steven Gerrard 

• Haha 1

Emery is a man mountain of a manager. I love him and what he’s done at the club. Hell, I hope he’s manager here for many years to come.

BUT. 

He is too strict with the way we play at times and It drives me mad. We’ve lost a couple of cup games by not changing up our style of play with personnel not equipped to play the way he likes to play - fine, I can handle that. Tonight frustrated me a lot more though. We weren’t particularly good for the first half hour but we were better than them and we found ourselves two up. Love them or hate them, United reacted really well to going two down and all of a sudden started playing well and they were causing us problems.

Now, I know we’re down to the bare bones a bit squad wise, but why not change it up at half time or even earlier? I’m not saying bring Zaniolo or Diaby on (the former is rubbish anyway), but why not mix it up a bit? Go long. Go down the channels. They’ve got a 37yr old at centre half. Get him turned and facing his own goal. Get Onana under a few high crosses and shoot a bit more - the bloke is a liability. Alas, no. We continue playing high risk football and playing a risky possession based style that involves our centre halves and midfielders receiving the ball in pressure situations. Absolutely no surprise the overly casual Carlos gives the ball away and they score. No surprise whatsoever. It was like we were waiting to make that mistake. 

Im not saying we should always ‘bang it long’ or ‘get it down the line’, before I’m branded a dinosaur, I’d just like us every now and again to mix it up and adapt to what’s happening on the pitch. Especially when we’re up against a nervous United side under pressure from their home fans.

Build a statue of Emery, cool, but tonight he pissed me off. He’s clearly very stubborn (which can be a positive as much as a negative). 

UTV

• Like 3

It’s a miracle he has got us to where we are but the cracks are starting to show and the wheels are starting to fall off. Not in him at all - he’s dragged a decent squad to dizzying heights. It’s now time to sign players who belong in the top 4. He could make a 4th placed squad title challengers for sure 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s a miracle he has got us to where we are but the cracks are starting to show and the wheels are starting to fall off. Not in him at all - he’s dragged a decent squad to dizzying heights. It’s now time to sign players who belong in the top 4. He could make a 4th placed squad title challengers for sure 

In fairness, this is where Monchi and owners come in.

He's got us to a place where we are a MUCH more attractive proposition for a couple of top players.

Players we probably wouldn't have had a chance at last season.

My worry is potential FFP balancing act though. I actually don't think we need that much, just an injection of top quality in a couple of areas.

• Like 1

I think maybe Unai, indirectly, has been saying all season that he doesn’t currently the squad is quite capable of top 4. He consistently says that we are not contenders and that there are 6-7 more than us.
Now this could simply be expectation management or potentially he sees our squad as insufficient to manage progression in our 2 remaining cups as well as the league. 
This could also explain the late substitutions last night - lack of 100% conviction that the subs would really change the obvious flow of the game. 
We’re only in the first full season and, as ever, patience will be required as building a CL squad will take some time over a few windows especially with FFP. 
Bloody love what we’ve become already in such a short space of time 💪

Edited by eholm
  • Like 1

For the first time, I was a little disappointed he didn't bring anyone on around 60 as usual. Guess he just didn't trust what we had on the bench.

He was also proper pissed last night, nearly snapping at the interviewer when he asked "what went wrong",  "39 points NOTHINGS GONE WRONG!!! he wasn;t happy at all.

Â