PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Did you have cheese before going to bed

Don't remember what I had :P

Still crazy to me that I dream about Villa sometimes.

Just a confirmation about how much the club means for me.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2023 at 05:34, Pinebro said:

Jesus Christ. 

Had a nightmare that Unai had left us and Gerrard was back in the hot seat. 

https://www.vivapartnership.com/optimal-living/what-do-our-nightmares-mean

Sleep is supposed to be restful; yet when we’re having a nightmare, it’s anything but. Whether we’re being terrorized by a tactical dinosaur (That Stevie G) or grieving a dreamed loss, nightmares steal our energy away rather than restoring it. So why do we have nightmares? And how can we reduce their severity or frequency?

What are nightmares?

Psychology Today defines nightmares as dreams that evoke “fear, anxiety, or sadness.” They occur during the “rapid eye movement” (REM) stage of sleep, often later in the night, and tend to awaken the sleeper; common themes include falling, losing one’s teeth, and being unprepared for an exam.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

From my count, we have 2 wins and 2 losses after international breaks under Unai.

Losses against Liverpool and Leicester but at the beginning of Unai's reign.

Wins against Chelsea and Palace.

What this means? Nothing - just desperately hoping for this international break to be over.

• Haha 3

On 10/10/2023 at 18:19, Keyblade said:

Had a dream where I was just browsing VT (riveting dream I know) and was in Other Football and saw the Unai Emery thread in there. I swear I damn near cried. That shit woke me up immediately :lol: . He's our best and probably only chance of doing anything meaningful in the near future. We need to keep hold of him at all costs.

I just woke up from a dream where we had sacked Unai after a couple of defeats, and installed Callum Chambers as player/manager. We were playing a diamond formation because Callum told us in the pre match press conference he'd read in a coaching guide it was more solid. 

Who needs a cold shower I am now wide awake. 

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I just woke up from a dream where we had sacked Unai after a couple of defeats, and installed Callum Chambers as player/manager. We were playing a diamond formation because Callum told us in the pre match press conference he'd read in a coaching guide it was more solid. 

Who needs a cold shower I am now wide awake. 

On the recommendation of an old mate I tried some cold showers, when I say some, I mean a couple! Yuk, not the best advice I’ve ever had, probably not the worst either but do yourselves s favour and don’t bother!

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

On the recommendation of an old mate I tried some cold showers, when I say some, I mean a couple! Yuk, not the best advice I’ve ever had, probably not the worst either but do yourselves s favour and don’t bother!

Red hot then as cold as it will go and repeat three times, it is the way forward 

Back on topic hope the gaffer has a plan for the Spammers who have looked pretty impressive 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Speaking of dreams, I had a dream the other night that I was reading a BBC article about some of the Premier League managers and they gave a verdict of whether the club should stick with him or not. Under Emery it said something like "jury is still out, but if Gareth Southgate becomes available Villa should definitely get rid of Emery and go for him". I was so furious I was about to write in to complain before I woke up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Speaking of dreams, I had a dream the other night that I was reading a BBC article about some of the Premier League managers and they gave a verdict of whether the club should stick with him or not. Under Emery it said something like "jury is still out, but if Gareth Southgate becomes available Villa should definitely get rid of Emery and go for him". I was so furious I was about to write in to complain before I woke up.

Garth Crooks is trolling you in your dreams 😁

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

Say Candyman three times whilst looking in the mirror 

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

Taking anything that the BBC say seriously is always a mistake. That lot employed Saville and a long line of other questionable characters including Lineacre and his rediculous brain dead pals from the north, who, in the BBC’s view, keep it real for us plebs. Shameful organisation at best! Try watching reruns of the 1982 European Cup final before you go to sleep in the future. It works for me!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Full article.

Unai Emery: I told Villa players I am not here to waste my time

Aston Villa manager tells Jonathan Northcroft how a meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson changed the trajectory of a career that has come a long way since his ill-fated stint at Arsenal

As brilliant a person as you'd expect. 

Wee bit too much fluff around the quotes. I'd love to listen or watch a full 60+ min interview with the boss.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Some are going to take exception with Unai’s comment there.

He referred to Gerrard as “a coach”.

So much for his meticulous football knowledge unless he meant Danks and Cutler 😝

• Like 1

Great interview, so good to get some personal insight… I think his work ethic is unrivalled… the more he can transfer his personality and approach to the players, the better. I can’t recall a time when we were so fortunate to have such a high level of manager and coach (the complete package) that needs to be fully backed and supported and tied to the club for as long as possible… he’s only going to help and elevate us…

Some great quotes in there:

He is so infectiously convinced about Villa’s journey that he doesn’t sound outlandish when he targets silverware. “It’s difficult but I prefer to set an ambitious objective then try to reach it,” he says. “And I want to play in Europe. My dream is to play Champions League, to win the Champions League. And I’m going to fight for my dreams. Always.”

“When I started as a coach I was clear in my mind, ‘I have to work hard, I have to be a fighter.’ I still think the same. I think, ‘I have to win on Sunday’. But also, how do we win? Everyone wants to win but saying ‘How?’ is the most important. And the answer is always the process: to work, to build, to demand.”

“And this is the puzzle I made in my mind. What is the way? Practise, practise, practise. Kobe Bryant’s message is that. Michael Jordan’s message is that. Practise, be demanding, then get confidence into the players. How do you do that? Before, I was always saying to them ‘play confident’ but what does that mean? You have to feel confident. Confidence is not something you can buy in the shop, you have to build it and the only way is to practise, be demanding and think football, football.”

He has a rule: “70 per cent of your life, every day, every week, every month, every year — has to be football. You’re practising, you’re at home resting, you’re with family, even if you’re at a party or on holiday at the beach — you still have to be thinking football.”
He drills the following thought into his Villa players’ minds. Who you would rather play with? “I want to ask, ‘Hey ’keeper, who do you want as centre backs?’ They’re going to choose the players who they know will fight. Centre backs, who do you want in midfield? They’ll choose the players who fight. They don’t want one player who is not thinking football, who’s thinking, ‘I’m going to go out later, enjoy the life.’ ”

Emery shrugs. “My method is not a mystery. Firstly, Ollie always scored goals and when a player’s level is there you have to make them feel comfortable and play within their best characteristics. I met an old player of mine from Villarreal casually and he’d been watching Ollie. He told me, “Watkins, he’s a good player, I see him scoring goals but when he’s not scoring I see him doing his work.’ ”
When Watkins suffered a mini-drought, Emery told him about his former player’s observation. “I said, ‘Ollie, the goal is coming. Calm. You have my respect but not just that, you have the respect of the team and why? Because even when you’re not scoring you’re doing your work.’ I can tell Ollie details but most importantly he is very, very professional. He has the mentality I want: 70 per cent football.”
“I want to be a serious team, disciplined, tactical. With power, playing in our structure. Every team is organised but to be extremely organised is to be the winner. Man City, Arsenal: extremely organised. Always my message is: football is very difficult. We’re lucky men. Lucky to be workers in football because it’s big business and we have good salaries. But it is extremely hard, you have to sacrifice a lot of things.”

“I’m very demanding of myself and always controlling my ambition,” he says. “I thought ‘Unai, you have to try again in the Premier League.’ [Villa] were very convincing and very committed to try and get to another level and invest. And I am very happy because everything they said they would do the first time I met with them, they are doing.”

• Like 1

Â