Unai Emery

PeterSw

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness I chose to make my point about the amount of injuries we have had (without 40% of what would be considered our best starting 11 for pretty much the whole start to the season) and the 5 players we have brought in needing time to settle/gel with what Emery wants from them and with their new team mates, after our defeat in the week. I have always felt that the inconsistency in performance was due to the above and that given time it would come together. 

For what it's worth I am in no doubt there will still be ups and downs. That we will still go to tough away places like Newcastle, Liverpool and even Legia Warsaw and get beat. That we will at times look out of sorts. One year on though from being relegation fodder, still with some big players out, still trying to integrate new players, and just the fact that overall we are under a manager who has been here less than a year, who is still building his squad and implementing his system, I'm happy to ride out those highs and lows safe in the knowledge that given time days like yesterday when we do click will become more frequent under Emery. In fairness I'd expect everyone to feel the same under a manager that has presided over a remarkable 2 pts per game in his first 32 league games in charge.

Fair point Mark...I agree.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

If Newcastle or Brighton (both clubs in a reasonably similar position to us) had destroyed the other 6-1, the media would be going on about five times as much as they have been about this game.

Also, Emery pretty clearly outfoxed the much-lauded (justifiably) De Zerbi, yet hardly anyone seems to be mentioning it?

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

The Media seems to have been mainly
meh about us. Quite glad to be honest, let them ignore Unai at their peril

DGAF about media or anyone talking about us particularly.

However it does needle me a bit when they decide to elevate others. They were praising Brighton and bigging them up at 5-1 down yesterday. Weirdos.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I liked what Mcginn said yesterday, about how Unai has educated our fan base. 

I don't remember ever having a manager who was able to change the whole atmosphere round the club. 

Agree.

I think from most people, it's a general acceptance he's just so **** good you let him work.

The results help though. If you don't get the wins, you can't expect fans to accept blindly.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I just missed out on the Saunders era at Villa Park but nothing in my time supporting out great club comes remotely close to this last year. Unai is an absolute genius. He never takes a backward step. I love him to bits and would be thrilled if we could keep him long term. Amazing what he has done in his time here. Absolutely magnificent.

This. Our league cup win and the first part of MON was the highlights of my Villa life so far.

Unai has trumped that by miles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

This. Our league cup win and the first part of MON was the highlights of my Villa life so far.

Unai has trumped that by miles.

Really? I love Unai but the league cup win was one of the best days of my life and MON had us so close to top 4.

Let's give him time and hopefully he delivers silverware. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Really? I love Unai but the league cup win was one of the best days of my life and MON had us so close to top 4.

Let's give him time and hopefully he delivers silverware. 

Hopefully he will. He's also a top guy unlike that egotistical tit MON

• Like 2

On 29/09/2023 at 10:55, markavfc40 said:

I am not really too sure there have been a few poor results unless we now think we have gone from relegation fodder less than 12 months ago to now thinking we should hardly be losing a game.

Our league return from 6 games has been as good as I'd have hoped for. In fact probably a little better as I'd have probably taken 2 points from away games at Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea. We'd have expected wins from Everton, Burnley and Palace and we deservedly won them all. 

In the cups we have blown Hibs away in two games, narrowly lost our toughest away game in the Europa group to Legia Warsaw and been beaten at home in the league cup against a fellow Prem side. 

All the above has happened whilst Emery has been trying to integrate 5 new players and having been without 4 of our best 11 starters for pretty much the whole of the season. I think given that then losing some games should hardly come as a surprise should it especially losses in two of the toughest away league games you can face. I also think that inconsistent performances and looking disjointed at times should be expected given the injuries we have and the handful of new players being integrated. 

I see this period as similar to when Emery first arrived and it took time for it all to click and for us to gain some consistency. In his first 12 league and cup games we won 5, drew 1 and lost 6 and then it really came together. 

Getting Ramsey and Moreno back down our left side will be a huge boost and  having Carlos to take some of the workload off Konsa with little drop in quality of player will give more in depth strength in that CB position. Then we have Torres, Diaby, Zaniolo and Tielemans all top quality players who have between them started 13 league games for us so are still to fully integrate and get in tune with what Emery wants and with their new team mates. 

I am in zero doubt that under Emery, just as happened last season, that given a little more time, it will again all click and come together. 

An excellent post, made better by yesterday’s result. 👏🏻

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 20:13, ChesterDad said:

I just loved how he celebrated the goals today - this man is a legendary villan already.

I think he gets, the size of the club, the tradition, the expectation of us fans - pretty remarkable really given that, he is not English. 
we are lucky indeed to have him - we just have to trust him. He won’t let us down 

It's that in a nutshell.

He's managed PSG and Arsenal in last 5 years so knows all about the off field politics at those clubs that impacted on the pitch.

He has no such issues here so really at this stage in managerial career it's a dream job for him, to build us up and get us consistently in europe and hopefully winning something which alone would make him a legend.

He's not going to jack that all in to go and managed Al whatisname in Saudi Arabia.

Only issue would be if someone like Real Madrid came in as for a Spaniard that's a huge honour.

On 01/10/2023 at 07:38, Follyfoot said:

The Media seems to have been mainly
meh about us. Quite glad to be honest, let them ignore Unai at their peril

I honestly think it's a hangover from his Arsenal spell.

Press/Media deemed him a failure there (even though Arteta then finished 8th consecutively) but it was a very difficult job for many reasons. Lack of budget, following Wenger and loads of disruptive players like Ozil and Aubameyang.

Give him a team of Saka, Martinelli, Saliba and Odegaard and Arsenal would've been winning most weeks under him.

It's no different to Moyes at Man. United and it took Moyes years to rebuild his reputation. Will be the same for Potter when he comes back into management.

I'm happy we're going under the radar. Normally when he start getting hyped up we start losing regularly and drop off.

• Like 1

Â