Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

With all these links to the likes of Torres, Chiesa, Diaby and Kessie etc does anyone else get the feeling that Unai thinks he can build a team to win this league? 

Not win the league at this stage, but he will see breaking into the top 4 as realistic. 

Unai’s smile just fills me with joy…

spacer.png

So glad he’s getting what he wants and needs at the club, so much backing is great to see. A few more top class signings and we are going to be a MAJOR force this season…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

So glad he’s getting what he wants and needs at the club, so much backing is great to see. A few more top class signings and we are going to be a MAJOR force this season…

This image and subtitle could be taken v much out of context. Don Unai, indeed

17 hours ago, Villarocker said:

With all these links to the likes of Torres, Chiesa, Diaby and Kessie etc does anyone else get the feeling that Unai thinks he can build a team to win this league? 

I think he goes into every single game with a game plan and a way he believes will mean we will win. That mentality won't win you every single game but with the squad we're building we'll win more than we lose and we'll have a good shot of getting far in any of the cups we're in. 

I can't see Unai's target being different to what it was day one "I want to win a trophy with Aston Villa" that was his mission statement. 

I don't think "I managed to finish 5th" or "I missed champions league qualification" is how Unai would reflect on Arsenal for example. I think he'd reflect on his time as "I lost a final"

For me this guy is all about winning. So if winning the league is impossible why focus on that? Get yourself a trophy in the cups and use the league as a way to qualify for more cup competitions the following season to do it all again. 

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

What an utterly daft question.  Have you spoken to the manager before signing for him!  If I was in charge of this club, there would be no media and “communications” people still in their jobs!

On 04/07/2023 at 18:00, sne said:

This is really interesting. 

The negative is it suggests we were fortunate during Emery's early reign to get the results we did. 

But the positive is it would appear he addressed any issues and got us performing consistently well

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The negative is it suggests we were fortunate during Emery's early reign to get the results we did. 

But the positive is it would appear he addressed any issues and got us performing consistently well

I like the fact that halfway through his tenure the XG against never went above the XG for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I like the fact that halfway through his tenure the XG against never went above the XG for.

Yeah it's encouraging. And encouraging that it happened second and not the other way round. The trend is improvement.

It's too small a sample size to draw any real conclusions. I mean look at Gerrard's run in his first season where he had similar.

But it's definitely the kind of positive stat we want to see

Slightly odd stats. Makes it look like we were in really good form when Gerrard got sacked which is....not... how I remember it. Do these figures mean we had a higher Xg than Fulham when he got sacked? That is a massive alarm bell as to how seriously to take this graph right there. 

Edited by villaglint

I find xG to be an especially weird one because there seems to be no agreed-upon numbers for it. For example all of UnderStat, StatBomb, Opta, InfoGol etc have varying figures for games, so if you look at Villa games under Emery basically every single one of them  have differing totals for each team in a given game. Even the likes of United and Wolves at home have different teams coming out with more xG. In any case I think context is important as always.

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thing is if you deny good quality opportunities to your opponent xG doesn't really tell the full tale for half chances and long shots as they are by in large only really finished by the very best with any consistency which skews the numbers far higher than they should be. 

We weren't creating a large volume of shots but creating good shots. And we weren't conceding good chances letting teams pepper up with pot shots through a crowded penalty area. 

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

That scene must be from where Ross and Rachel were on a break.

• Haha 1

Â