Unai Emery

PeterSw

Some posts moved. please stop posting about what a plum Rio Ferdinand is in this one. Do that, if you must, in the media and punditry thread.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

2 points per match. To be fair to Ten Hag, he has achieved the same ppm over the period of Emery’s time at Villa. Two very good managers who have improved the results and consistency of the teams they are coaching.

Which sort of highlights just how stupid Ferdinand’s intervention was.

Difference is that Unai Emery is doing it with a squad worth £390M, and Ten Hag is doing it with a squad worth £670M. 

Figures from transfermarkt.

• Like 3

It's pretty brilliant how Emery has turned our defence around since those 11 goals in 3 games we conceded. Prior to that we had been defensively good and overall if you exclude those 3 games we are averaging 1.11 xGA and averaging only 0.61 goals against. 

This type of over performance seems sustainable in some teams. Liverpool always over perform GA vs xGA every season. There's clearly a method to it, allowing chances in places/situations where an outstanding GK can save them. Liverpool have the best GK in the world and have done for years. 

Emery knows how to eek out improvement in different places which overall is worth many point in a season. We say it all the time, but it's incredible having a coach like this at the club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Pictures doing the rounds of him in the walkabout broad st last night watching the Arsenal game decked out in more Stone Island. 

Of all the good bars and pubs in Brum, he decides to go to The Walkabout??

Guest av1
1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Pictures doing the rounds of him in the walkabout broad st last night watching the Arsenal game decked out in more Stone Island. 

He was drinking in town? I’m worried now for his safety, has no one told him that town is off limits for DVB’s? has he been seen at Bodymoor today? 

Matey mate mate. 

Edited by av1

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We all know we've overperfomed under Emery. This isn't a title challenging squad as the performance under Emery so far would have us. 

The article is extremely lazy, just looked up total xG basically in period before and after Emery basically. 

The differences have been Watkins xG per shot rising by about 40%. Also we are allowing shots on our goal which total similar xGA but more lower chances from further out which caters to Emi.

So we have made changes to maximize the performance of our players. Watkins and Emi being the two key metrics of this. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Looks like the one thing “soccer boffin” Kevin Pullein hasn’t’ t done is watched us play so as to understand the difference in the way we are playing under Emery. To be fair, the next article about Man C is an equal load of rubbish.

• Thanks 1

What he has done to turn us around is phenomenal.

but for me, the intriguing question is..........what do we need to do to improve further?

• What is it that makes us, a top 6 non -starter by the masses.
  • What would we have to do, to be top 6 candidates by the pundits, next season.
  • What actions/moves must we make to be realistic challengers.

I am signed up to the UE Preservation club, and I am convinced he will get us to the promised Land.....but he can't just coach us there....He needs quality additions.

He needs better players, who can:

• Offensive players who can pose a constant threat.
  • Offensive players who can confidently beat a man, on a fairly consistent basis.
  • Offensive players who can pre-occupy opponents to distraction and disrupt organisation.
  • Defensive players who can negate opposition threats
  • Defensive Players who can control games and set tempo's
  • Defensive players who can read games and position themselves to snuff out threats.

We have done well, to progress to this level, but we must think past, the past.....We are entering a new era, where ok is not good enough, to win things...We have to raise the bar.

I will be amazed if Unai, is not quietly, plotting, to improve the squad, with a fairly case hardened approach to drive us on......despite the such gratifying improvements, this season.

I don't see this Summer as a time to sign players, who are just available or sexy names or play for sexy clubs.......We must be sure, of what jobs we want them to do, perhaps a more up market way Brighton have done it.....some of their players, I have never heard of prior to them joining Brighton......Thats the most important thing, to do the job well, not just reputation led.

I am sure with UE, we will be in safe hands.

• Like 3

On 03/05/2023 at 10:10, CVByrne said:

We all know we've overperfomed under Emery. This isn't a title challenging squad as the performance under Emery so far would have us. 

Our progress is skewed because most of our games and wins in the 10 game run were against lower half teams. As we start to play better opposition you might see a more realistic ppg by the end of the season. 

34 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Our progress is skewed because most of our games and wins in the 10 game run were against lower half teams. As we start to play better opposition you might see a more realistic ppg by the end of the season. 

We beat Man Utd in his first game then beat Brighton and Spurs away not to long after that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I watch all of Unai’s press conferences. His command of English is so impressive. He speaks and understands everything so well but has anybody else noticed that virtually every week, whenever Tom Ross asks a question, he has to refer to the interpreter for assistance? It’s always Tom and never anyone else. It’s like he’s saying sorry mate but I just don’t speak Bluenose! Always cracks me up. Just another reason to love the man.

Don't think "thrown out the window" translates well

• Haha 1

Just watched the presser, love the bloke, talks so well, none of the Gerrard jokey bollocks, all business but respectful and tactful at the same time. 

One thing’s for sure he’s up for the fight and I think he’ll have the players up for it too. 

• Like 2

Â