Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, macandally said:

Emery has changed Villa already, with shape, structure and organisation.  It is not comparable to Gerrards “pray ball”.

Now he will recognise what he has and the rebuild will really start.  We are a project and first things first is to work out who is part and who isn’t.

Lets keep calm and not throw the baby out with the bath water, you can tell by Emery’s face there will some home truths told right now in that dressing room 

Agree but happy to throw all of our babies out with the bath water. 

• Like 1

Just now, macandally said:

Emery has changed Villa already, with shape, structure and organisation.  It is not comparable to Gerrards “pray ball”.

Now he will recognise what he has and the rebuild will really start.  We are a project and first things first is to work out who is part and who isn’t.

Lets keep calm and not throw the baby out with the bath water, you can tell by Emery’s face there will some home truths told right now in that dressing room 

Nobody's asking for the baby to be thrown out with the bath water (although to compound my evening, my 18 month old son has just shit in his!) but he has to take full responsibility for that.

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I would put very little of that result on Emery. He picked a team containing 10 full internationals against a side whose wages combined wouldn't add up to what the lowest paid player in our team earns.

He set us up in a decent formation and in fairness we dictated the game with 80% possession. Trouble was it was too comfortable and the players got too casual and failed to really penetrate Stevenage with too much backwards/sideways going through the motions play. Emery clearly tried to inject some energy with the substitutions. Eventually though the lacklustre casualness we'd shown offensively cost us defensively as we switched off in the worst of areas and gifted them two goals. 

I put this pretty much 100% on the players and they should be ashamed. 

If you can take any positives from this then it is that Emery will have had his eyes well and truly opened with a number of these players.

Spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad Emery is seeing the limitations in the squad.

This has been the mantra under Smith, Gerrard and now Emery. They just aren't that good.

We have about four to six really strong PL players to build around.

Martinez, Mings, Luiz, Kamara, Ramsey are good enough.

The rest are average unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I hope this isn't the start of the same haunted look all villa mangers get once they realise villa is a managerial graveyard.

I truly hope this isn't the case.

I think Emery will get the backing from fans to overhaul the squad that not many previous managers have gotten.

Emery has to shoulder a portion of the blame today. No sense putting in almost your entire second team when you're trying to advance in the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world. We aren't Manchester City. We don't have that kind of depth and we don't have any trophies at all in decades. Take it more seriously, Goddamit.

We also showed the opposition little respect in the team selection, but also by coasting in the second half. Tapping the ball around in their half with no  impetus or desire to put the game to bed.

We got exactly what we deserved from this game today.

Shocking display. Unforgivable for the time being.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think Emery will get the backing from fans to overhaul the squad that not many previous managers have gotten.

I think you're right, after all where else is there to go? We have rich owners who want to spend. We've bought up tonnes of talented youth players. We've employed the best manager we could have possibly expected to get. The only place to look now is the quality and depth of every player in the squad and start replacing the weakest as soon as possible. This is going to take a couple of years at least, so for me Emery gets all the slack he needs to sort this mess out.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve answered. Yes he is second string. He’s not in our first XI, therefore he is second string

Why do you get so defensive whenever anyone questions you? People are allowed to disagree with you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I think you're right, after all where else is there to go? We have rich owners who want to spend. We've bought up tonnes of talented youth players. We've employed the best manager we could have possibly expected to get. The only place to look now is the quality and depth of every player in the squad and start replacing the weakest as soon as possible. This is going to take a couple of years at least, so for me Emery gets all the slack he needs to sort this mess out.

This is the sense I'm getting. We've never had anyone with the kind of record Emery has and after having been through so many managers I feel as if many supporters (myself included) are of the mind that we should give him a lot of time to fully mould the squad in his image.

The shambles today seems to have made that all the more clearer to a lot of people. Pretty much the only players we have any affection for and who we mostly agree the team should be built around either weren't playing tonight at all or only featured a bit.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I hope this isn't the start of the same haunted look all villa mangers get once they realise villa is a managerial graveyard.

I truly hope this isn't the case.

I was thinking this looking at his face at the final whistle, hope it is not the case.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Emery has to shoulder a portion of the blame today. No sense putting in almost your entire second team when you're trying to advance in the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world. We aren't Manchester City. We don't have that kind of depth and we don't have any trophies at all in decades. Take it more seriously, Goddamit.

We also showed the opposition little respect in the team selection, but also by coasting in the second half. Tapping the ball around in their half with no  impetus or desire to put the game to bed.

We got exactly what we deserved from this game today.

Shocking display. Unforgivable for the time being.

Emery gave them a chance and they failed him, I'm glad he can see it too. He needs to know who he can trust (or not).

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I was happy enough with the starting line up (although Dougie playing so long surprised me), as we need to be on it and energetic against Leeds (which is a huge game now). 

What has surprised me today and against wolves is how lethargic the players look. Most have just had a long break. 

They weren't lethargic chap, they were lazy ass f*****ers.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think your giving the fans overall too much credit.. the patience nowadays isn't there. Make no mistake if they is a start of a bad run the pressure will be on Emery just as it was every other fired previous manager.

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

We need another 2-3 of Kamara's standard  in other areas of the pitch. It's what Newcastle have done after all with Trippier, Botman, Bruno Guimaraes and Isak. Bonus for them is long servers like Almiron and Joelinthon have also massively improved playing in winning team at same time.

Easier said than done though as we've seen frequently over last decade. Have to say so far the links under Emery don't quite scream proven quality to me but we'll see, many signings in last few years haven't been linked to us at all.

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

Why do you get so defensive whenever anyone questions you? People are allowed to disagree with you. 

I don’t understand how I’ve been defensive? I was confused by the question

Just now, Pissflaps said:

I think your giving the fans overall too much credit.. the patience nowadays isn't there. Make no mistake if they is a start of a bad run the pressure will be on Emery just as it was every other fired previous manager.

It will but if Gerrard can get a full 12 months here with what he was serving up then UE will be here in two years time unless he really messes up e.g. results like today become the norm in the premier league.

You'd like to think at least in 12 months team we'll be putting out an 11 that can at least be reasonably reliable in terms of 90 minute performances. 

Â