Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we beat Man Utd in the League Cup final in 1994 we've played them 60 times in all competitions. We've won just 6, drawn only 12 and lost 42 times.

Obviously we beat them on Sunday (which was one of those 6 wins), but did people think that meant it was going to be easy to do the same last night? 

I thought it was an even game for 75 minutes and we more than held our own; it wasn't exactly exciting football, but we looked organised off the ball; compare that to what we have seen recently with the settled 'first' XI starting. 

Put Emi in goal and we are at least drawing in the 90 mins and going to pens; the 3rd and 4th goals were down to Olsen, and his inability to provide any semblance of calmness or commanding presence caused issues throughout the whole 90 mins.

I thought the managers summary of the game was pretty spot on - both positives and negatives mentioned (but without throwing the players under the bus), but what he mentioned most often was the players needing to deliver their best consistently.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

£15 a ticket for season ticket holders on a Thursday night just before Xmas for essentially a preseason game.  For a game that is likely to change players loads and disrupted because it is a preseason type game it seems a bit more than I’d expect.  Maybe I’m just being a Scrooge.

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

A daft question I think from me - Why do they need to go on a training camp in Dubai? Are we not supposed to have world-class facilities at Bodymoor Heath? How does training in the heat of the middle east get the players ready for playing in the depths of winter in the UK? is it just to avoid the rain?

All about the Gram.

• Haha 1

I honestly believe if we put our strongest team out we beat them.

I get the whole need to assess the squad, but the confidence we would have gained from beating Man Utd twice in a week would have been invaluable.

But for the worst keeper in the world, we had them beat even with several changes.

I wish he’d really gone for the jugular.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Scouting session for Lange and co :D 

Nah, it's a recruiting trip for the Villarreal squad!  Emery and the boys are going to take them out on the town and show them how wonderful Birmingham is in the middle of December...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Honeymoon period once again is over.

He needs to take the blame for the goalkeepers passing out from the back

I  think Luiz have to be much more active there. MacAllister reads the situation a lot quicker,and steal the ball. It doesnt happen if Luiz is more turned on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fleksnes said:

I  think Luiz have to be much more active there. MacAllister reads the situation a lot quicker,and steal the ball. It doesnt happen if Luiz is more turned on

Agreed. Both players to blame for that goal

• Like 1

Â