Unai Emery

PeterSw

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

great piece.

says a bit about how Nassef Sawiris basically said "i want you at Villa, you have a blank page, build me a winning Aston Villa however you like", it also talks about how this appealed to Emery as he never got that kind of freedom at Arsenal, and that he relishes the project of taking a once great club (if you know what i mean) and building its success in his own image.

Obviously he will have to work with Lange etc etc, but i do get the impression he really does have the reigns at Villa.

Great stuff.

Seems like the perfect marriage. The articles in Marca yesterday were such great pieces. Basically got all the negatives done in the first paragraph and then gave everything that is good about Villa line after line.  I liked the fact that he does 15 hour days like Fergie used to. And that they basically say Bodymoor is one of the best training grounds on the planet. 

I think if he is successful he will be here for a long time. He is here to build, not just win a trophy and leave. Leaving a legacy. Taking a club and improving it day by day month by month year by year, while still knowing that its all about winning. 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Apologies if already linked (let me know, I'll delete this post) but this was absorbing viewing for me

It was linked, but always happy to see it again. It's been a while since we saw some light in the darkness. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I think our issue for years has been going cheap on managers.

We've had times when we've invested heavily in players.  We've had times when we've had a good squad.

But generally we've cheeped out on the manager.   It is without any doubt the single most important position at the club. 

We've always had the history, the big stadium, the facilities and structure.  It should not be beyond the realms of possibility that a top manager would want to come here.

You really are better off not buying that extra player and instead throwing the kitchen sink at a manger.   It's one of the reasons why we've fallen further and further behind.

We've rarely gone foreign.  We've tried young and inexperienced, we've gone journeyman, we've gone for older (probably washed up) names.  MON aside not since Big Ron have we really gone all out to get a proven big name in.  

Kind of mad really when you look at our list.  Most of that time we've been a reasonably decent club in the richest league in the world and it's so uninspiring.  It's often stated how no one manages us then goes on to anything else, but it's no real surprise when you look at the quality of them.  We were always likely to be the biggest club they ever get to manage. 

Great summary sid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I just love how after the first goal he High Fives all the staff and players. He's a class act.

Interesting the looks between Unai and Austin after the second goal. Might be reading into it too much, but it seems as though Unai rates him, like maybe it was one of his (as much as leathering it toward the goal could be). 

14 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Apologies if already linked (let me know, I'll delete this post) but this was absorbing viewing for me

Unai give us a wave crowd bit :lol:

Not featured was I think minute 92 when we won a throw down their end and he finally sat down. Job done.

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I just love how after the first goal he High Fives all the staff and players. He's a class act.

Also the stride off at half time like he knew EXACTLY what to work on at half time. He's a confident guy who knows from experience that his ideas work. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Absolutely no need to apologise, I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve watched it and I’ll watch it plenty of times again I’m sure. You’re right it’s compelling. Unai Emery’s claret and blue army!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Celebrated the third goal the most. Because 900 games into a coaching career he knew that was game set and match. Been there seen it and done it and still only just turned 51

100%, it was the momentum killer. Most important goal, and he knew it. 

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Our defenders were being slaughtered for the long balls but it was clear it was a tactic, even in the tail end of Smith's reign. Ty for example can definitely play, and we saw that yesterday.

Exactly, he likes to play the ball out from the back.

Seems like Gerrard was playing a high percentage game and trying to lump the ball into the danger zone all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We've had times when we've invested heavily in players.  We've had times when we've had a good squad.

But generally we've cheeped out on the manager.   It is without any doubt the single most important position at the club. 

We've always had the history, the big stadium, the facilities and structure.  It should not be beyond the realms of possibility that a top manager would want to come here.

You really are better off not buying that extra player and instead throwing the kitchen sink at a manger.   It's one of the reasons why we've fallen further and further behind.

We've rarely gone foreign.  We've tried young and inexperienced, we've gone journeyman, we've gone for older (probably washed up) names.  MON aside not since Big Ron have we really gone all out to get a proven big name in.  

Kind of mad really when you look at our list.  Most of that time we've been a reasonably decent club in the richest league in the world and it's so uninspiring.  It's often stated how no one manages us then goes on to anything else, but it's no real surprise when you look at the quality of them.  We were always likely to be the biggest club they ever get to manage. 

This is 100% right Sid. What’s the betting we would have been in for Ralph Hassenhuttl this morning? Certainly under previous ownerships. Nas must have read your post before you even posted it!

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

True, it has been an issue, but during the Deadly Doug era, DD was frequently cheap about players, too.

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Seems like the perfect marriage. The articles in Marca yesterday were such great pieces. Basically got all the negatives done in the first paragraph and then gave everything that is good about Villa line after line.  I liked the fact that he does 15 hour days like Fergie used to. And that they basically say Bodymoor is one of the best training grounds on the planet. 

I think if he is successful he will be here for a long time. He is here to build, not just win a trophy and leave. Leaving a legacy. Taking a club and improving it day by day month by month year by year, while still knowing that its all about winning. 

Fingers crossed he is our Wenger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I hope you're right.  I just hope if he is successful, that he doesn't get poached in a few seasons. 😢

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I hope you're right.  I just hope if he is successful, that he doesn't get poached in a few seasons. 😢

I get the feeling he would only leave if he has achieved what he wants here.

Which he says is a trophy and European football at a minimum - but who knows the true ceiling of this club under these owners.

Â