Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, bose said:

Its actually a rather clever jab at interoffice politics

I'm sure it is, but I have no idea what the words 'upshot gold' 'popbitches' and 'sport eshot' mean. 

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, HKP90 said:

I'm sure it is, but I have no idea what the words 'upshot gold' 'popbitches' and 'sport eshot' mean. 

No I actually have no idea what he's talking about, mine was just a random Seinfeld reference!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, bose said:

Its actually a rather clever jab at interoffice politics

It's technically fleet Street gossip which they use popbitch and upshot to post the stuff their papers and/channels won't for various (usually legal) reasons and that, if true, then is an eye opener regards him. And sorry not Villa related but methinks we made the right and sensible choice in Emery.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My friend Spazza says that cool strive sexi-art is what separates the fashdown spin backs like Slippy G and the jump up ones who regulate. Strictly on the DL.

I really need that translating 😂

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm baffled about people praying Emery is given plenty of time. Hope we don't get on his back. Villa Park can be poison etc. 

It's been written all over this thread. 

Am I the only one who thinks we're generally supportive?

Gerrard was a very unpopular appointment and didn't get a great deal of heat at VP. Despite being absolutely woeful and many not wanting him he got an easy ride. Only in the last 2 away games was there proper calls for him to go and very minor complaint in his last home game. 

Sherwood is STILL feted by many (to my bemusement and frankly horror) and got little heat until the very end. 

Lambert was dog awful for ages and smashed loads of all time negative club records but again only pressured at the end. 

Probably only McCleish got it early because of who he was but then again Bruce was tolerated through some really bad times. 

I think we rarely turn on managers till it's obvious enough is enough. I wonder if people confuse online keyboard warriors and social media nonsense with how the crowd actually react at Villa Park. 

Oh, and I sit lower Holte so if the crowd are going to turn and get vocal I'll hear it pretty early. 

Expectation is a big part in this. If the owners are shit, and there is no investment in the team, the expectation is low, and managers will get an easier ride, as was the case for some of the managers you mentioned.

With Emery the expectation have raised because his track record, at the same time he is coming after Gerrard so expectation is still somewhat grounded.

As long as the result in the pitch is around expectations of the average fan, Emery will be safe, and have the support of the fans. Of course if the club/owners have different expectation, than that will trump whatever the fans thinks.

This season he will have the support of the fans as long as we avoid the relegation battle, I think that is about most fans expect for this season. It would also be nice if we are solid at the back and can generate some good goal scoring opportunities.

Next season expectation will be higher and fans will demand more, around about a top half finish. If he start next season with 9 points after 11 games, there will be fans that will be unhappy, and rightly so. I’m sure Emery will do better, in fact I’m guessing he could be the first manager in a long time that we don’t sack.

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Back to Emery, I cannot believe for a second he hasn't been in contact with Danks and the coaching staff. Danks obviously can't say he has or that'll flag up as him violating his work permit application, but even if it's through an intermediary, he must have had at least contact.

As of right now, I’m pretty sure Danks know the strength and weaknesses of our players better than Emery. Maybe if Emery looks at the Brentford match he maybe could provide some advice/improvement, but it wouldn’t be anything major. As they say too many cooks spoils the broth, so I would let Danks get on with things.

I do expect them to have a lengthy conversation when Emery start 1st November, as part of Emery’s preparations for the ManU game.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2022 at 23:40, sidcow said:

I'm baffled about people praying Emery is given plenty of time. Hope we don't get on his back. Villa Park can be poison etc. 

It's been written all over this thread. 

Am I the only one who thinks we're generally supportive?

Gerrard was a very unpopular appointment and didn't get a great deal of heat at VP. Despite being absolutely woeful and many not wanting him he got an easy ride. Only in the last 2 away games was there proper calls for him to go and very minor complaint in his last home game. 

Sherwood is STILL feted by many (to my bemusement and frankly horror) and got little heat until the very end. 

Lambert was dog awful for ages and smashed loads of all time negative club records but again only pressured at the end. 

Probably only McCleish got it early because of who he was but then again Bruce was tolerated through some really bad times. 

I think we rarely turn on managers till it's obvious enough is enough. I wonder if people confuse online keyboard warriors and social media nonsense with how the crowd actually react at Villa Park. 

Oh, and I sit lower Holte so if the crowd are going to turn and get vocal I'll hear it pretty early. 

I don’t think the crowd are quick turn on managers but it does go flat and quiet very quickly if the crowd isn’t happy.  You hear moans and groans rather than encouragement.

So I’d say there becomes a lack of vocal support rather than fans turning on managers.  That in itself leads to a good place to play for Away teams. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Friend of a friend works at a golf club where a number of the Villa players are members, and spoke to Mings, Ings, McGinn and Chambers this week. Chambers said that Emery’s an absolutely top bloke to work for and they’re all really excited about him coming in. 

This is an interesting post. I bet when Gerrard was announced and first came in the players were really excited as he was a great player. But then as time went on the novelty probably wore off as they soon realised he is not such a good manager. 

With Emery they are excited because he is actually a proven manager so hopefully this time we get much more than just a new manager bounce. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I've had a couple of alcohols, but shit. Am I actually a Villa fan right now? Like am I fan of a real club that does real things. I feel like I might be for the first time in my life - what a strange feeling. I think I like it...

a couple?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I've had a couple of alcohols, but shit. Am I actually a Villa fan right now? Like am I fan of a real club that does real things. I feel like I might be for the first time in my life - what a strange feeling. I think I like it...

Ahh, same. Us central time zone Villans have to stick together.

Â