Unai Emery

PeterSw

I don’t think the training will be intense in terms of physically something these lads aren’t used to. They are professional footballers playing in the premier league. I think the “ ultra intense “ that graham hunter was referring to is the tactical and mental side he gets into will test these like never before. Do they have the footballing IQ to take on what he’s going to ask of them. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Notice how he corrected the interviewer's pronunciation of paella.

Ah ston Biyah  incoming.

I would love if if Beeyah til I die can become a chant.

Along with the obvious huge OO-NIGH OO-NIGH that we'll hear a lot around PL grounds in the coming years.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Do they have the footballing IQ to take on what he’s going to ask of them. 

Thing is, we have no idea how most of our players are tactically - our last 3 set management tactics have included 

"pull wor socks up and hit the diagonal"

"Give it to Jack!!"

"Ehhm... everyone attack apart from you 3"

"Pass. Pass. Pass. Pass. Hoof. Sit off them"

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

A potential negative could be whether he can get his tactics across, as his English wasn't great last time he was here. He refuses to use an interpreter, so let's hope at least one of his backroom team is very fluent in Spanish and English. 

He speaks French, Spanish and English. Nearly all of our squad speaks one of these languages, he also speaks Basque which I doubt any of ours do 😂

Also we have professionals compared to before so players will take it on boars

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I so agree.

I have a sense of genuine relief , progress and optimism.

Yeah, get the feeling this is as sure-thing as we’re ever likely to have. Its an incredible appointment and the perfect fit for this squad. I know we always find ways to mess things up but I dont see it with someone as meticulous as Emery. We need Villa Park to be bouncing every other week now, we can create a very special chapter in our history over the next few years. We finally have a top coach through the door. We’ve spent a lot on this squad, feels like this is the part of the jigsaw thats always been missing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'd say if he doesn't manage to get us at least 10th this season I'll be disappointed.

I think 50+ points (that means averaging 1.5 PPG) would be a decent finish, especially if we can start to see how it's all coming together (that would have been enough for 11th or higher last year).

He's going to try some things that don't work, but I'll remain optimistic if we hit that and lose some games where you say "I see what he was going for but it didn't work out".

I think we need to keep expectations realistic given the start we've had and the teams we've played - there's a lot of work to be done but I think if anyone can shape us into a team to be challenging for the top 7 next year, he's it.

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think the real test is the squad. They can't fail under Emery without it being clear then that they are the problem or key elements of the squad are. 

It remains to be seen if they can take on the detail. I accept Gerrard tried to put square pegs in round holes and tried to force his system on players not suited to it.

Emery plays systems suited to our players so they should be able to excel in it. Let's hope that's the way

I totally understand where you are coming from and it is a legitimate concern, however, even if they aren't paying attention to his ten hour video lectures, the fact they are playing in their own preferred position and the team are functioning as a whole should inspire them enough to apply themselves professionally. That certainly worked on Sunday. If it doesn't work with Emery, the players don't want to be successful. Simple as that.

dunno if this has been posted. 40  mins of emery style training session . Bloody hell he certainly is hands on. As in he is running on the pitch all the time clip board in hand directing players. very impressive.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Another glowing player reference, this time from Alberto Moreno

Reflecting on his time at Anfield to The Guardian, Moreno said: “My relationship with Klopp was perfect and, with Unai, he’s the best coach I’ve ever had.

"He knows how to squeeze the best out of you, what to say at any moment, how to get the group to go out and ‘eat’ the opposition."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/moreno-unai-emery-jurgen-klopp-24180534

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

dunno if this has been posted. 40  mins of emery style training session . Bloody hell he certainly is hands on. As in he is running on the pitch all the time clip board in hand directing players. very impressive.

Can he get his messages and instructions across as effective in English as he can in his mother tongue.

That will be his biggest challenge.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Another glowing player reference, this time from Alberto Moreno

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/moreno-unai-emery-jurgen-klopp-24180534

Go out and " eat " the opposition.

Based on the multiple things I've read, it seems his approach is also heavily psychological.

Our mentality seems to have let us down quite often so this is very good.

• Like 4

He was sacked btw at Arsenal because he didn' win a game in 7 games which is atrocious at a club like Arsenal who has ambition of top 4. He had lost respect by the local media and his players so he had to go. 

Arteta had similar bad runs but he won an FA cup so it bought him a lot more time and credit in the bank.

9 hours ago, markc said:

Some of our youngsters must be delighted with this appointment. The likes of Chukwu... Oh no wait a minute. ..gosh he could have really benefited from this.. oh well never mind.

Chukwueze at Villarreal? That's the only name that starts with those letters that I know.

• Haha 1

Â