Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And the best thing about Gerrard was supposedly his ability to bring players in...

The worst of it is that pre Gerrard you could see exactly what we were about, Harrison and lange have a very clear strategy that was flipped on its head

This is it really. People have a go at Lange for bad recruitment, but since Purslow appointed Gerrard the recruitment and strategy has clearly been led by Gerrard and any previous long term strategy has been ripped up. Just think about the Sarr deal that Gerrard supposedly torpedoed for example. We really did go all in on Gerrard when he rocked up with his 20 staff. Just too bad he has turned out to be a charlatan all along. I bet Lange has felt very marginalised during Gerrard reign.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Villa’s plans for the first team since the takeover has been to do one thing, and when trouble comes do the opposite. Then if someone influential is openly critical, maybe try a third solution.

That’s not what people usually mean by strategy.

Not quite, the strategy has been to heavily invest in the academy from infrastructure, management, coaching, scouting, recruitment and then the support structure around loaning them out and then integrating them in to the first team which should result in us spending less money every summer as we develop the top talent ourselves which you can argue is or at least was a success until appointing Gerrard, since then we've bought older players for more money on higher wages, hardly played any of the youth and lost arguably our best youngster

We've gone from looking like we would be different to being the same as what all the 14 other teams in the league are and for me that's one of the biggest disappointments

Next manager has to go back to it and integrate at least some of them, starting with archer, Gerrard will no doubt be unhappy we didn't buy a 28 year old striker for £60m but rewind 18 months and that wasn't us

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyjavfc said:

the recruitment and strategy has clearly been led by Gerrard and any previous long term strategy has been ripped up. 

There needs to be a post mortem into this really.

The decisions made have left us with a squad overloaded in some areas, completely deserted in others, and weren't meant to bring another manager in to play with this group of players. We can blame Gerrard and his team for specific decisions they made, but who empowered them to marginalise our record signing to bring in a Liverpool old boy, then sack off all our wingers? 

Heads shouldn't have finished rolling yet.

• Like 3

For what it's worth I called Gerrard weeks before Smith was sacked and half-seriously said similarly about Dyche whilst despairing a couple of months back. Sincerely hope I'm not some kind of inadvertent oracle of doom. 

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Amorim apparently a no go but we’ve not made contact anyway.

All this discussion on this board and the local guy says we haven’t even contacted him or his agent.  So maybe we aren’t interested in him after all…maybe, maybe not!

50 minutes ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

Well he’s not wrong. However I think he’s pal Gerrard had quite a large input into that strategy. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Thing is, he clearly didn't see eye to eye. I saw reports Suarez wanted to join, Gerrard wanted him, and the club vetoed it. We wanted Sarr, and it's widely believed Gerard pulled the plug.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of each decision, when you've got a manager not agreeing with what the rest of the club is trying to do, and his recently departed assistant thinks the long term strategy is a shambles, we're in trouble.

I don't think the long term strategy is a shambles though, I think Gerrards approach didn't fit the strategy and its easy for him to point the finger at it

Gerrards strategy sounds like Everton mk2

Just now, villa4europe said:

I don't think the long term strategy is a shambles though, I think Gerrards approach didn't fit the strategy and its easy for him to point the finger at it

Gerrards strategy sounds like Everton mk2

See the post I just made - if Gerrard's plan didn't match our long term plan, why did we bring him in, then watch while he did this? Who was approving his decisions?

Something **** stinks, and I'm not convinced we've got to the cause of the rot yet.

Sadly its looking like their is no plan in who to recruit next. No clear signals in any link so far, which makes it a bit baffling that we have sacked the majority of the first team coaching staff as well.

I just feel that the appointment, whenever it happens, is going to be underwhelming. Having concerns about the whole NWSE project at present. They have the commitment and money but where is the plan.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Confused 1

If Dyche gets the  job fans on the waiting list for a ST won’t need to wait long. Dyche is a good manager at what he does but I’m sick of watching shit football, week in week out. 

Edited by WHY

Just now, Indigo said:

For what it's worth I called Gerrard weeks before Smith was sacked and half-seriously said similarly about Dyche whilst despairing a couple of months back. Sincerely hope I'm not some kind of inadvertent oracle of doom. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Sadly its looking like their is no plan in who to recruit next. No clear signals in any link so far, which makes it a bit baffling that we have sacked the majority of the first team coaching staff as well.

When do Villa ever give signals, we are the most covert club in football.  It’s brilliant but it’s bloody frustrating!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You should know now how the Villa work. You get nothing until a day or 2 before someone is signed, an usually we are still wrong.

Edited by foreveryoung

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I had to read this twice to understand that you didn’t once phone Stevie G to discuss Dyche as a possible replacement for Deano.

• Haha 3