Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

As has been said before, we weren’t free flowing under Beale either. He’s doing well at QPR, but any jump to a Premier League team now really would be premature with only a handful of games under his belt. 

What he says is a worry though and something we saw from the outset of Gerrard’s tenure. I, perhaps naively, believed we were going for a structured Brentford style set up where new ‘head coaches’ can come out and slot in as needed. The ‘machine’ would scout young talent which could be coached to a profit playing football the ‘Aston Villa way’. 

That, as we know, seems to have gone the second we started going for older, established players. Perhaps as a result of Gerrard, almost certainly as a result of Purslow. 

So yes, it appears we have more to fix than just the Head Coach position, but Beale and Gerrard played their part in ensuring it was broken. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Emery - the step just below the elite, massively experienced in good leagues, has managed in the Prem to a good standard, has achieved success with teams below the elite standard. Plays a style that we can probably emulate reasonably well with the squad as is, though with additions in January needed. He would need persuading though - he turned down Newcastle because he wasn't sold on their project - but he had the conversation.

Poch - out of work, successfully managed in the Prem, is coming off a slightly disappointing short tenure at PSG, seems to have been overlooked for a few big jobs in recent times. As with Emery, probably could work with what we have with a couple of additions. But he is on the CL hype train - he took Spurs to the final and went to France's biggest club to try to win it for them. He's going to be a hard conversation to persuade to come here, as he may be prepared to sit and wait to get a CL club. We'd be relying on him bring won over by big money and wanting back into management in England now. Unlikely.

Tuchel - ain't happening. He's only just been sacked, he's a CL winner, he'll sit and wait for a CL role. He's also renowned for falling out with people, which we probably don't want right now. Dead in the water, won't even be on the list.

Amorim - gamblers choice. He's had a meteoric rise and success, but he's young and only worked in Portugal, realistically with 1 job. By all accounts he's got enormous potential, and apparently does very simple tactics in a very disciplined way that mostly fit our squad. But he apparently has a huge release clause. Could be amazing, could be a disaster, we'd be putting a lot of faith in him taking his first job overseas in a potential relegation battle.

Rodgers - been there and done that in the Prem, to varying degrees. But struggling at the moment and struggled last year as well. He's a couple of games from the sack at Leicester and looks burnt out. Needs a few months out IMO. On a personal level I can't stand him either, so colours my view.

Dyche - he's a solid Premier League manager. But a very particular type. He stayed at Burnley for 10 years, and I'm not sure that's all loyalty. Nobody looked at him and felt they'd take a shot on him. A club with our stature and alleged ambitions should not be gambling on Dyche. It also indicates the wrong things about where we're going. If we hire Dyche, something has gone wrong.

Benitez - no.

Frank - decent manager. Brentford play effective football and punch above their weight. But the issue with Brentford is they're a machine, the manager isn't running the whole thing and as such it's hard to judge him. If our aim is to emulate that system, might be decent. If we don't... Shrug.

Favre - my choice when we sacked Smith, an old hand with a record of developing players and tactically clever. But he's just gone to Nice. Ain't happening.

Gallardo - know nothing about him. He's apparently River Plate's most successful manager ever, which is nothing to sniff at, but like Amorim you're gambling on his first overseas job being a relegation knife fight. On the plus side he should do well with so many South Americans about the place. Oh and the Lamborghini jokes would drive you mad.

On the basis of all that, it's Emery for me. No easy job to win him round, but I'd have greater faith getting him on side than Poch. There's a project to be sold here, a good one. And we're supposedly ready to sweeten things with a big wage - we were paying the clown formerly known as Stevie G £5m to do nothing.

Have to agree with the analysis. I also see emery as the best, safest, gettable coach and have put money on it but I could get behind Amorim for the potential of getting a top elite manager at an early age. Must be the gambler in me.

27 minutes ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

And the best thing about Gerrard was supposedly his ability to bring players in...

The worst of it is that pre Gerrard you could see exactly what we were about, Harrison and lange have a very clear strategy that was flipped on its head

35 minutes ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

The strategy him and his mates failed to implement. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole considering we were just as shit when he was coaching the side.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Genuine question to those who want Rodgers. What makes you think we'll get the Rodgers who was historically successful, and not the Rodgers who is imploding at Leicester? 

They finished 8th last season which isn’t bad considering the strength of the top 6 clubs. 5th the season before with the FA cup. So when you say “historically” you’re talking 6-18 months, hardly any time at all. 

Leicester seem like a basket case at the moment, selling key players and not replacing them. I get the sense Rodgers probably wants to leave, but with the termination pay outs these days probably doesn’t want to resign, that’s poor on his part but kind of understandable if there’s the reported £10m at stake. 

He ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to experience at this level and getting success with club in a similar position to us, and is apparently more of a technical coach which we have obviously lacked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Rodgers has just lost his mojo at Leicester, he's pissed they have also turned the taps off and couldn't bring in any new players he wanted 

He needs a new project, I personally think he would do well here and certainly has more experience than our recent trainees.

The bit that nags at me re Rogers is the money he spent the year before, bringing in some quality emerging players, apart for Daka, most have seen few minutes.

Apart from that, the guy builds teams that play decent attacking football.

I’d be happy with Rodger’s and that is probably the lowest risk. You could argue the lowest upside also, but he has done well with Liverpool and overachieved with Leicester. Would get us to Top 8 for sure. 

Emery is probably my number one choice. 

Amiron I’d be excited about, but it would be a big risk - do we need to take that risk if we can get one of the other two? 

Shame Poch and Tuchel are seemingly ruled out as aside from the names above, I don’t fancy any of the others!

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Over to you @TRO

Wasn’t he part of that?  Or is he throwing his boss under the bus?

Maybe he means they didn’t manage to truck through 38 players before he left.

Personally, I saw little to suggest that he could get a tune out of Villa and reckon QPR won’t come up either

❌ Rúben Amorim will not leave @Sporting_CP to train @AVFCOfficial
 . The 37-year-old coach is focused on achieving the goals set at Sporting. As of today, neither the Alvalade club nor Rúben Amorim's agent have received any contact from Aston Villa. 🦁

No idea who it is but Tom Collomosse retweeted it

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Rodgers looks like he needs a break to refresh and reinvigorate himself, so it's a no from me for now.

Tuchel grinds my gears and he's anyways likely not interested.

Amorim a high risk high reward gamble but has never played or managed outside the Portuguese league bar a loan stint in Qatar.

Gallardo a similar gamble but has spent time in Europe and can speak Spanish and French. Understands the passion of the game and fans being at River Plate and will be available soon (not continuing contract), but may be taking a break? Would he be too much of a mid-season gamble, especially with essentially no wingers at the club?

Poch and Emery OK for me too.

If we can't get any of Poch, Emery, or Gallardo, I honestly wouldn't mind bringing Delaney back to tide us over for the rest of the season and then re-assess as none of the other names inspire me long-term. Dyche may see us stay up, but wouldn't want to give him a long-term contract to start with.

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And the best thing about Gerrard was supposedly his ability to bring players in...

Thing is, he clearly didn't see eye to eye. I saw reports Suarez wanted to join, Gerrard wanted him, and the club vetoed it. We wanted Sarr, and it's widely believed Gerard pulled the plug.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of each decision, when you've got a manager not agreeing with what the rest of the club is trying to do, and his recently departed assistant thinks the long term strategy is a shambles, we're in trouble.

• Like 1