Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

17 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I'm anxious about us getting in a big name personality, we need someone that unifies the team and gets people on board, the last thing we need is someone throwing their weight around and making rash decisions. Perhaps a boring technocratic style manager is what we need!

are those always two different things?  maybe a big name to excite - but became a big name because he gets people on onboard, doesn't throw their weight around and make rash decisions ?  There's a middle ground between a tyrant and a boring technocrat.

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

The encouraging thing is, despite some tough on paper fixtures coming up, with a new manager the opposition won't know what to expect from a Villa or how to set up against us. Under Steven Gerrabruce we were predictable. And slow. Dull. Dull and slow. And predictable.

I don't think we'd see much encouragement whoever we get until after the world cup. It's not going to be an immediate fix unfortunately. 

Just now, srsmithusa said:

are those always two different things?  maybe a big name to excite - but became a big name because he gets people on onboard, doesn't throw their weight around and make rash decisions ?  There's a middle ground between a tyrant and a boring technocrat.

yes there must be big names out there who have the right skillset and man management skills, the humility to know that they are not always right and not to alienate members of the squad etc. That is important and if we were to get a big name in then it is essential they have positive attributes to complement their personality!!

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He knows Kamara and Sanson well 🤔

And is " keen ". Name matches as well OBS.

"Former Chelsea and Spurs boss 'very interested' in Villa job

Former Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas is reportedly 'very interested' in replacing Steven Gerrard as Aston Villa head coach.

The 45-year-old has gone on to manage Zenit Saint Petersburg, Shanghai SIPG and Marseille since that two-and-a-half-year stint with the two capital clubs. Villas-Boas is currently out of work after being suspended by Marseille following comments in February last year about the club's "sporting policy" which included him offering his resignation.

It came just one day after the January transfer window closed during which Morgan Sanson was sold to Villa and replaced by the loan signing from Celtic of now- Swansea City midfielder Olivier Ntcham, which Villas-Boas took exception to. The Portuguese coach is now apparently keen on a return to the game.

Read more, here "

No Thanks.

• Like 2

Ruben Amorim 10/11

Sean Dyche 9/2

Unai Emery 5/1

Mauricio Pochettino 6/1

Thomas Frank 8/1

Michael Beale 10/1

Domenico Tedesco 16/1

Marcelo Gallardo 16/1

Rafa Benitez 20/1

Roberto Martinez 20/1

Dyche second favourite now. Whoever is betting on him, stop it.

Edited by duke313

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

say what you like about gerrard, he's certainly unified the fanbase again. i can't remember when 100% of the fanbase all agreed on something

Probably, when Dean was appointed...or near as damn it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Dyche second favourite now. Who’s betting on him?

I think it's Mazrim...

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If somebody mention Dyche in my presence they're getting a dig. Oh, and that 30k waiting list will disappear quicker than Russian military equipment.

Awwwww. Hell. Nawwww.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and I was one of them.  

I was concerned with his appointment and disappointed.  

Doesn’t mean I didn’t want him to be a success because him being a success means Villa were going to be a success. 

All true. I remember quite clearly, and it's there for all to see anyway. There was an ample handful of VTers very consistently and vocally concerned about the appointment at first, but a little less than half of that lot went silent over time; and then there were a few who stayed active on the board, pretty much on the same message -- @nick76, @Zatman, et al. After Bournemouth, the calls for dismissal exploded more generally, of course.   

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

It better not be martinez. I dont want him anywhere near our club.

Id rather have dyche over him.

Dyche although isnt the most glamorous name isnt as bad as some people make out

Roberto Martinez? He's not gonna leave Belgium before the World Cup.

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and I was one of them.  

I was concerned with his appointment and disappointed.  

Doesn’t mean I didn’t want him to be a success because him being a success means Villa were going to be a success.  

I always want Villa to be a success, I just thought this wasn’t the way to do it and my concerns were very much founded quickly after that initial managers bounce.  

Sometimes you hope for the best even when you know it’s the wrong move.

I hate that it didn’t work out, not because for Gerrard but because it’s wasted 12 months of our progress and seemed like a risky stupid gamble from the start.  I wanted him to succeed but it was clear from early on it never was so yes I wasn’t happy with the appointment but I wanted it to be a success.

just as a matter of interest Nick....when did you feel, your initial support was unfounded, not a loaded question, just interested.

I know for a spell, you was on the fence, when did you feel, it wasn't going to work out?

Just now, catanzaro said:

I want Roberto Mancini.. lets get some sartorial elegance as well as top drawer management 

Could be why Edens was in Rome last week.  No World Cup for Italy, maybe he tried to convince him.  I could see him standing on the touchline with a claret and blue scarf this winter.