Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We better get one of the top 3 or Conte because i'll top myself if it's any of the rest.

You know what, I agree, although I'd stick Mourinho with Conte, just because his press conferences are entertaining, and would love to see him try to explain why John McGinn can't make a 3 yard pass.

25 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Yeah, who was the last manager that went onto a bigger job, its not happened in resent memory. Most of the managers we have had have not really gone onto much else (some could argue that was the caliber of the manager) We do seem to suck the life out of managers, Lambert was an up and coming manager, he aged 20 years managing us! 

But Poch wont risk his reputation coming here, we need a striker that knows where the goal is but for that we need a good sum spending in the Jan window, which is a basket case for signing players!

When was the last time Villa hired a top manager or even one worthy of a better job? It is only down to calibre of manager recruited and not because we crucify them all in post. Lambert was never going to be a top manager, nor Mcleish, De Matteo, Sherwood, Bruce, Smith, Little, Gregory, O Dreary.

As I said yesterday the best managers we've had either were connected to the club in some capacity or good managers on the downslide. The rest have all been too average to ever get a better job and were blessed during their time that we were run by idiots and cheapskates.

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He's on the list!

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

So he bastard well is! :lol: 

"Excuse me Spurs.. I know that you've had your best ever start to a season, and you're in the Champions League, doing well.. But... we at Aston Villa are wondering if WE could take him from you?" 

Puss In Boots GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dyche is a better option than Wilder and Parker at 20/1 though they could be the boxers and not the managers

he would end up bring that thug Mee to Villa park next season, no thanks! We would play absolute crap football as well 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

When was the last time Villa hired a top manager or even one worthy of a better job? It is only down to calibre of manager recruited and not because we crucify them all in post. Lambert was never going to be a top manager, nor Mcleish, De Matteo, Sherwood, Bruce, Smith, Little, Gregory, O Dreary.

As I said yesterday the best managers we've had either were connected to the club in some capacity or good managers on the downslide. The rest have all been too average to ever get a better job and were blessed during their time that we were run by idiots and cheapskates.

Maybe we need to be realistic and think top name managers are out of our grasp, we are not the big club we think we are,  historically yes, but recent history, we are mid to lower end fodder.  That's why we get jobbers, novices etc, we might get a big name if they want one last payday, but Poch wont come here to blot his CV! 

• Like 1

The only way Poch comes here is it he's paid a fortune and given a huge transfer budget to spend.

Recent murmurings out of the club suggest we are moving in the opposite direction, and I suspect money/compensation is one of the major factors in Gerrard not being sacked yet.

We are tightening the belt (again), and unless that gets reversed, someone of Poch or Tuchel's calibre is just so highly unlikely that it's barely worth considering.

I know I’m going to sound like the old miserable git here. But my worry is this. Let’s imagine for a moment we get Poch, how long does he get? How many poor results until the usual suspects are calling for his head? How many transfer windows where we don’t buy the 16 players the keyboard warriors want, do we cut him slack? 

This replacing of the manager becomes a cycle very quickly and I don’t want us to be the next Watford because it doesn’t work for success! 

Final point, don’t read this as some sort of pro Stevie G post. I think he’s been pretty terrible this season and if he’s fired he’ll have deserved it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The only way Poch comes here is it he's paid a fortune and given a huge transfer budget to spend.

Recent murmurings out of the club suggest we are moving in the opposite direction, and I suspect money/compensation is one of the major factors in Gerrard not being sacked yet.

We are tightening the belt (again), and unless that gets reversed, someone of Poch or Tuchel's calibre is just so highly unlikely that it's barely worth considering.

But it is worth considering, because that's exactly who it is reported we are after along with Emery. 

So, either NSWE are underestimating the ability of these managers, or the money tap hasn't actually been turned off as previouly reported.

Hassenhutl is a weird one. He clearly is a decent manager and I’d say Southampton have always been a bit of a yo-yo team so it’s hard to tell whether it’s him or just them being them. Sometimes top half, sometimes bottom half, sometimes relegated. It’s hard to judge him. 

Bielsa is another I wouldn’t say no to but I’d also be very wary and scared as he is batshit mentally insane. 

Nuno is another that i’d be wary of but maybe could do a decent job. Unsure of him but not against the idea.

Id say out of Poch, Tuchel, Jose and Emery that Emery is the most gettable. Tuchel and Jose wouldn’t look at us, Poch maybe if we chucked loads of money at him but he probably won’t come imo. 

Id be very happy with Emery.

Everyone else mentioned (Dyche, Parker et al) can do one. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

If you think he’s going to say anything publicly about managerial changes I have a bridge to sell you. It would be an employment lawyer’s dream. 

At least acknowledge the guy wasn’t lying about the quote, regardless of what the true subtext of Purslows statement was.

Thing is with Poch is this, if you don't ask, you don't get.

We were spending £25m on Sarr but didn't. So repurpose that money to help pay off Gerrard and his team and fund an offer to Poch. Ultimately he will likely say no. We are not an especially attractive proposition and he will have better offers but doesn't mean we can't at least ask.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Maybe we need to be realistic and think top name managers are out of our grasp, we are not the big club we think we are,  historically yes, but recent history, we are mid to lower end fodder.  That's why we get jobbers, novices etc, we might get a big name if they want one last payday, but Poch wont come here to blot his CV! 

I disagree with most that post other than the bit in the middle. 

You'll say your just being a realist but really you've been beaten into submission in your thought process, I get it.  

Yeah no harm in asking Pochettino, can't see it myself but we'd be daft not to try.

Emery is class, Nuno would definitely do a job here and get us up the table too. 

I'm not sure anyone in the Emery and Pochettino class will be coming, we could do worse than have a punt on someone like Francesco Farioli, he worked with De Zerbi and is only in his early thirties and is head coach in Turkey. Plays a very good possession based game and his teams create chances. There will be a bunch of up and coming talent all over the continent that could do a better job than Gerrard methinks.

Just now, romavillan said:

Yeah no harm in asking Pochettino, can't see it myself but we'd be daft not to try.

Emery is class, Nuno would definitely do a job here and get us up the table too. 

I'm not sure anyone in the Emery and Pochettino class will be coming, we could do worse than have a punt on someone like Francesco Farioli, he worked with De Zerbi and is only in his early thirties and is head coach in Turkey. Plays a very good possession based game and his teams create chances. There will be a bunch of up and coming talent all over the continent that could do a better job than Gerrard methinks.

Don’t think we should be risking a potential again, it’s still too raw after Gerrard.  

Rookie manager from not the PL, I’m not there, sorry!

20 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I know I’m going to sound like the old miserable git here. But my worry is this. Let’s imagine for a moment we get Poch, how long does he get? How many poor results until the usual suspects are calling for his head? How many transfer windows where we don’t buy the 16 players the keyboard warriors want, do we cut him slack? 

This replacing of the manager becomes a cycle very quickly and I don’t want us to be the next Watford because it doesn’t work for success! 

Final point, don’t read this as some sort of pro Stevie G post. I think he’s been pretty terrible this season and if he’s fired he’ll have deserved it. 

Let's cross that bridge when we get to it!  I suspect whoever takes over will find the squad a bit imbalanced with the lack of wingers to start with, so it might take a bit of time.  I'd be looking for signs of players being coached properly and a bit more class in interviews, not giving up and sulking when we are losing with 10 minutes left plus some tactical acumen.

Just now, nick76 said:

Don’t think we should be risking a potential again, it’s still too raw after Gerrard.  

Rookie manager from not the PL, I’m not there, sorry!

Farioli actually has bags of talent though 😉