Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

If we are currently looking for a new manager, what's the point in keeping him? Gerrard will be aware of it, as will the players. 

And then what if we win the next two? Do we then tell Poch we are no longer interested. 

Whilst Gerrard remains, I don't buy into it. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

If we are currently looking for a new manager, what's the point in keeping him? Gerrard will be aware of it, as will the players. 

And then what if we win the next two? Do we then tell Poch we are no longer interested. 

I think we were already wrapping up the Gerrard deal while Smith was still in charge. He just made it easier by losing the last few games. If we're sacking the manager then talking to replacements, I think we're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Your right, I bet also it wouldn't make any difference with him being sacked, Critchley is obviously coaching the team now, wouldn't even notice him gone.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No, we get rid of him no matter what, its gone too far to have the what ifs, its been what ifs for 11 months, it hasn't worked.

There are 3 or 4 top managers without a club nows the time to strike, not just before the world Cup where managers of countries announce its their last go at the world Cup which could tempt one of the top managers for a relatively easy job for the money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Get rid of gerrard, give critchley the Fulham game and get pochettino in ready for the Brentford game, the place will be rocking if he’s the manager Sunday 

Would love it but are we really *that* far advanced in talks? Unlikely.

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

All of those mentioned had a good couple of years, none went higher than us afterwards, in fact most went significantly lower. It’s hard to argue it’s not a graveyard for managers.

Most managers that do well only have a couple of good years at anyone club. If you're looking for consistency over a longer period than a couple of years then you'll be looking at maybe a handful of managers at any club throughout history. On that basis it's quite easy to argue against VP being a managerial graveyard compared to every other club. We are no different.  

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think we were already wrapping up the Gerrard deal while Smith was still in charge. He just made it easier by losing the last few games. If we're sacking the manager then talking to replacements, I think we're doing it wrong.

I hope you're right. 

23 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Most managers that do well only have a couple of good years at anyone club. If you're looking for consistency over a longer period than a couple of years then you'll be looking at maybe a handful of managers at any club throughout history. On that basis it's quite easy to argue against VP being a managerial graveyard compared to every other club. We are no different.  

A lot of managers can go to other places and do well again though. Who has left Aston Villa and achieved anything? Smith is doing alright at Norwich, but outside of that very little. Gregory, Little, even Ron Saunders did nothing after us. 

Not that this has anything to do with our next manager but hey.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Aston Villa is not a managerial graveyard. It's a graveyard for shit managers. Managers that have never been worthy of the job, too old, too inexperienced and just not good enough to embrace the pressure of the biggest club in the Midlands and the expectation that comes with it. 

Aye, but 'biggest club in the Midlands' is tallest dwarf territory. Look at the dreck we are surrounded by.

Aston Villa are one of the biggest clubs in British football and should have a manager to match. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

All recent evidence suggests we are in fact a managerial graveyard. 

Who was the last manager who went on to bigger success after managing us? 

Steve Bruce somehow got a Premier League job after failing with us in the Championship via Sheffield Wednesday :P 

Paddy gave some food for thought on their Podcast.

Said he reckons Poch is a great Manager, but would probably more be looking for a team which has fallen out of the Champions/ Euro League with a strong squad to take back.

Whereas he reckons Unai Emery is the type who has the heart and desire to drag a club like our from bottom all the way up.

Basically, he feels Emery would be a better fit.

• Like 1

I think Poch would turn us down if I'm honest, we look a mess right now and he'd probably fancy something higher up. 

I'd definitely welcome Emery though and I reckon he'd be far easier to attract.