Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I'm not saying we will get him and not sure if our players are suited to his system but being able to change games with subs is a major benefit and neither Smith or Gerrard seemed capable of doing it. Potter seems to be and for me it's shows he has the building blocks to become a good manager at a higher level, where we want to go.

Brighton reaping benefits of flexible Potter's changes

Adrian Clarke explains how versatile Seagulls have been able to ad apt to various formations

When it comes to the use of formations and the way individual players are utilised, Brighton & Hove Albion's Graham Potter is the most tactically fluid head coach in the Premier League.

After 10 rounds of matches in 2021/22, Potter has used eight different shapes from the start of matches.

Adrian Clarke 11 Nov 2021

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2346717

I don't think he would come to us, as things stand (he would be stupid to tbh), we need to get to the end of the season without getting relegated and then approach him and some others to see what they can offer and what they have already achieved. 

I was never a fan of Potter’s possession based tactics previously as it was boring to watch and not overly affective. The few games I watched they just seemed to pass it side to side in defence without any forward momentum but I guess he was missing players in the final third at the time. 

I admit he does have something about him though so have warmed to the idea lately. Would love Poch here but if we could get Potter I think he’d do well. 

I think he’s got a bit of John Gregory about him, the way he just goes about things, his way, without pandering to the media. I think we could do with someone like that, knows his stuff but is no nonsense and takes it to the league with no prisoners. 

Gerrard has some of the above qualities, except the ‘knows his stuff’ bit, that’s the problem

44 minutes ago, burchy said:

I was never a fan of Potter’s possession based tactics previously as it was boring to watch and not overly affective. The few games I watched they just seemed to pass it side to side in defence without any forward momentum but I guess he was missing players in the final third at the time. 

I admit he does have something about him though so have warmed to the idea lately. Would love Poch here but if we could get Potter I think he’d do well. 

I think he’s got a bit of John Gregory about him, the way he just goes about things, his way, without pandering to the media. I think we could do with someone like that, knows his stuff but is no nonsense and takes it to the league with no prisoners. 

Gerrard has some of the above qualities, except the ‘knows his stuff’ bit, that’s the problem

I would absolutely love Potter here, I believe he has huge potential. But as you are alluding to, there is absolutely no way that our fanbase would be patient enough for Potter ball, he is obsessed with possesion and doesn't mind playing at a really low tempo. 

He forces poor footballers to play possession based, our fanbase would never be patient enough and accept our players learn and adapt to his style. Let alone accept Potter ball. 

to let him develop the players, let alone accept his playing style. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

I would absolutely love Potter here, I believe he has huge potential. But as you are alluding to, there is absolutely no way that our fanbase would be patient enough for Potter ball, he is obsessed with possesion and doesn't mind playing at a really low tempo. 

He forces poor footballers to play possession based, our fanbase would never be patient enough and accept our players learn and adapt to his style. Let alone accept Potter ball. 

to let him develop the players, let alone accept his playing style. 

But we have more (believe it or not) naturally talented footballers that should automatically be playing at a higher tempo due to their styles suck as bailey’s and digne’s

haven't heard from the guru for a while @TRO wonder what hes got to say about all this

Edited by RicRic

I'd have Potter in a heartbeat, I think he'd come here too. But we'd need to act very fast and give him certain assurances about players he might want to bring with him/buy in January. With Purslow's love for all things Slippy, I can't see us having put out the feelers yet, and we're risking a situation where Brighton are miles ahead of us in the table. At which point, he probably won't want to give that up for us.

There are quite a few comments on Potter and his ‘potential’

For the next appointment we cannot gamble on potential again. 

Again, if the owners are serious, there is only one man to go for and that is Poch.

A proven track record, he’ll attract quality players, he’ll raise our profile, he’ll improve us instantly.

He’s out of work and I’m convinced he’d come to us. 

NSWE…..go get him !!!!

(hopefully you are already sounding him out)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

Again, if the owners are serious, there is only one man to go for and that is Poch.

A proven track record, he’ll attract quality players, he’ll raise our profile, he’ll improve us instantly.

NSWE…..go get him !!!!

I don't see Poch wanting to come here under any circumstances tbh. Would be amazing though.

Just now, imavillan said:

NSWE…..go get him !!!!

We would need to make Poch the highest paid manager in the league to come here. 

He just has to wait and the the Chelsea job will become available, Tuchel looks clueless at the minute, can see him getting sacked soon.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He just has to wait and the the Chelsea job will become available, Tuchel looks clueless at the minute, can see him getting sacked soon.

Was reading comments from Chelsea fans last night.

Ironically, alot of what they are saying, sounds exactly like some of the criticisms of SG.

" Persisting with stupid formation "

" Persisting with Havertz / Sterling "

" Spent 100 odd mill on defenders and we can't defend "

" Can't motivate the players "

" Ruining the club "

etc

lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Potter is exactly the kind of young, talented, up and coming manager that we would hire and then completely ruin their career 

I’m sure that’s the sort of story that  SG’s media boys will be working with before too long. “If a top experienced manager like Steve Bruce couldn’t make it work, what chance did a young talented manager like Steven Gerrard have?”

Coming to a media outlet near you soon!

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yeah…

Salary - we aren’t going to pay £20m a year.

Poch will want a team in CL or at least Europe.

Every CL club will have Poch on their radar when they sack their current manager.

Can we offer him enough transfer kitty like PSG or Man Utd with ETH or Chelsea with Tuchel. Like £200m in the summer?  No way we can. 

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’m sure we can convince him. Look a the players we’ve signed that we would never have dreamt of until recently. A sit down for tea and cakes with Stevie G should convince him. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was reading comments from Chelsea fans last night.

Ironically, alot of what they are saying, sounds exactly like some of the criticisms of SG.

" Persisting with stupid formation "

" Persisting with Havertz / Sterling "

" Spent 100 odd mill on defenders and we can't defend "

" Can't motivate the players "

" Ruining the club "

etc

lol

If they dont want tuchel ill gladly have him down bodymoor in a flash…. Hes a excellent manager they just need to have some perseverance he won them a champions league the other day for goodness sake… sterling is getting goals so they cant be complaining about playing him… want us to grab poch now and pay him what he wants… he will iron things out here and his got all the resources needed 

Just now, RicRic said:

If they dont want tuchel ill gladly have him down bodymoor in a flash…. Hes a excellent manager they just need to have some perseverance he won them a champions league the other day for goodness sake… sterling is getting goals so they cant be complaining about playing him… want us to grab poch now and pay him what he wants… he will iron things out here and his got all the resources needed 

Di Matteo also won Chelsea a CL

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Just came on to post about TT. Interesting as from the outside I think he's a good manager and tactician but the comments from the Chelsea fans are interesting.

Personally think he's struggling because his formation requires certain players. James forced to play at RCB rather than RWB has hurt the team, as has not having a suitable out and out striker. 

Wouldn't be against having him if he became available but would still prefer Poch, Potter and Rodgers before him

Tuchel has that Mourinho quality of falling out with anyone and everyone which means when things start to go wrong they snowball massively into self destruction. He just seems to do it at turbo speed. He wouldn't consider coming here but even with that caveat that he's a bellend he is a football manager as opposed to a hype job fraud clown so he would improve us.

Although it's a low bar. I've coughed up things that would have better tactical ability than Gerrard