Win or lose tonight?

mrchnry

Win or lose tonight?   

92 members have voted

1. 1. Thought it would be interesting to see the ratio of those that would fancy a loss tonight in order to have Gerrard gone. It's set to anonymous votes.

• Win
    • Lose

This poll is closed to new votes

If losing to Forest doesn't get him the sack after the last 12 months then I really don't know what will get rid of him. 

On that basis I'd take a loss tonight and have him gone. I'd sacrifice 3 points in the hope we get someone else in that can secure us more 3 points long term. 

Edited by mrchnry
  • Sad 1

Just now, Zatman said:

What has he achieved so far that he has earned more time? I am curious as this question never gets answered from people that want him to stay?

It's not that I want him to stay but sacking him is too soon; wait until the World Cup at least...

Consistency, identity, patience all aspects Villa are trying to implement; Beale said it himself as much on Talksport today.

Gerrard has attracted better players to the club: Carlos, Kamara, Coutinho, Digne etc are all top players.

Villa will look like a basket-case club sacking Gerrard this early into the season; which will be duly noted by any potential manager who might be keen on the job in future. They will likely want to know if they will be afforded the same amount of time.

Gerrard is the manager and ultimately I want Villa to win.

• Like 2

I'm so unenthused about watching Gerrard's Villa. It really does feel like he has sucked the life out of us. As others have commented, it feels like we are just 'circling the drain' with him - it's a matter of when, not if. 

Maybe a win tonight would kickstart things, but I just don't see it. 

It really has made me feel quite conflicted about Villa - I want us to win, but I also want to be able to feel excited about watching my team. Doesn't feel like both are possible under Gerrard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's not that I want him to stay but sacking him is too soon; wait until the World Cup at least...

Consistency, identity, patience all aspects Villa are trying to implement; Beale said it himself as much on Talksport today.

Gerrard has attracted better players to the club: Carlos, Kamara, Coutinho, Digne etc are all top players.

Villa will look like a basket-case club sacking Gerrard this early into the season; which will be duly noted by any potential manager who might be keen on the job in future. They will likely want to know if they will be afforded the same amount of time.

Are Bournemouth a basket case or Sevilla, RB Leipzig, Wolves or Chelsea 

Why would be some embarrassing basket case for sacking somebody out of the depth. Would you prefer we kept some League 2 level player at the club because releasing him would make people laugh at us? What's the difference

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Win. 

I guess the closest I’ve ever felt like wanting us to lose was that game against Blackburn (I think?) when a defeat would mean trouble for small heath. 

Even then it’s more of an ambivalent “Oh well never mind” shrug. Silver lining kinda thing.

Ultimately if Gerrard is to be shown the door (and while I am in that group, I’m not vehemently in it), a win at bottom place Forest is only going to bring him so much credit. It’s likely to delay the inevitable.

This is where I'm at. If we were mid table and the game "didn't matter" but if we lost it meant a team I didn't like went down (Blues or Leeds ;)) then I would be "ok" with a defeat.

This tonight though. No way I want us to lose. Plus I have a couple of Forest supporting mates so the decision is even easier!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

i disagree

we will be labelled a basket case by his media mates who dont watch us play (even then carragher has called us out twice this season already for poor football) but statistically over a longer period of time we make for grim reading, any kind of in-depth analysis would show gerrard up, the problem is no one does that in depth analysis because no one cares, instead we'll get the opinions of insiders like gabby and danny murphy, if gerrard stays until the WC i think one of the miserable bastards will stick his head above the parapet and go for him, keane or souness go on the type of rant that lad bible exists for

the world cup makes logical sense but only if behind the scenes the club have put the feelers out, if leicester sack rodgers which also feels inevitable and they get poch (i dont think they will but it's just an example) then us waiting starts to look worse, us sticking depends on who twists

Edited by villa4europe

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Consistency, identity, patience all aspects Villa are trying to implement; Beale said it himself as much on TalkSport today.

Gerrard has attracted better players to the club: Carlos, Kamara, Coutinho, Digne etc. are all top players.

Villa will look like a basket-case club sacking Gerrard this early into the season, which will be duly noted by any potential manager who might be keen on the job in future. They will likely want to know if they will be afforded the same amount of time.

Gerrard is the manager and ultimately, I want Villa to win.

A valid point I've not seen mentioned before.    

Gerrard is 'dead man walking' as the phrase goes, and I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes it's probable the club have been in contact with potential replacements, and those talks will probably have just as much of a say on when it is exactly he gets sacked as any one result.

It's pretty obvious, if Gerrard is as bad as people thinks he is, then the bad form will continue, and the club will inevitably sack him, so not sure what people are worried about, it's just a matter of time now.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No, I want somebody in that has time to assess the squad over the coming games to then plan during the WC for the second half of the season.  Bringing in somebody during the WC will have players missing, won’t know a lot of the players, it’ll waste a transfer window so we’ll be starting from scratch when footy returns.  I think the WC break is the worst time to make a change.  If they (surely) are going to move on from Gerrard, then give the new manager time to assess the team now so the WC break can be used effectively and make us ready for the rest of the season.

12 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah that felt like he was trying to justify keeping Gerrard, just excuse after excuse rather than saying any positives.

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That’s great but then he has to coach them and the others and that’s his problem. Fantastic at recruitment, poor at coaching.

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Villa will look like a basket-case club sacking Gerrard this early into the season

The same Talksport section talked about how Villa are struggling as well as Forest, that’s the category we are being rightly perceived in.  I’m not sure anybody would care apart from some of his media buddies because people in the media are talking about how we had a poor end to the season and again are struggling.  Plus I don’t care what they think.

16 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

which will be duly noted by any potential manager who might be keen on the job in future. They will likely want to know if they will be afforded the same amount of time.

Or they see our players and the club and think they could easily improve us slightly without major work and will be working in the PL and a very nice wage.

19 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I want Villa to win but I want Gerrard gone because I think he’s holding us back the longer he stays. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A valid point I've not seen mentioned before.    

It doesn’t really make any sense, there’s nothing early about sacking Gerrard. Saying ‘this far into the season’ suggests he started in August and not last November. Did Chelsea sacking Tuchel after 6 games put off Potter?

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It doesn’t really make any sense, there’s nothing early about sacking Gerrard. Saying ‘this far into the season’ suggests he started in August and not last November. Did Chelsea sacking Tuchel after 6 games put off Potter?

I'm sure the £10m a year convinced him otherwise.

Â