Win or lose tonight?

mrchnry

Win or lose tonight?   

92 members have voted

1. 1. Thought it would be interesting to see the ratio of those that would fancy a loss tonight in order to have Gerrard gone. It's set to anonymous votes.

• Win
    • Lose

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Well yeah, and I’m sure giving Gerrard’s eye watering salary to someone who can justify it would be enough too

Eye watering to me or you perhaps, but £5m a year is pretty average for a PL manager.

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard is 'dead man walking' as the phrase goes, and I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes it's probable the club have been in contact with potential replacements, and those talks will probably have just as much of a say on when it is exactly he gets sacked as any one result.

It's pretty obvious, if Gerrard is as bad as people thinks he is, then the bad form will continue, and the club will inevitably sack him, so not sure what people are worried about, it's just a matter of time now.

Very obviously people are ‘worried’ that he won’t be sacked, by evidence of him not being sacked yet.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Eye watering to me or you perhaps, but £5m a year is pretty average for a PL manager.

I’m still not sure which part of us sacking a not performing manager would put any potential managers off, considering this is football and it is what happens.

again, it’s not 8 league matches, it’s 35. The original point is not valid.

• Like 2

Personally I really can't stand it when we get thrashed so I'd never prefer a 6-0 defeat to a 1-0 defeat, even if it meant no change of manager after the game.

(But I can understand how some of you would prefer a 6-0 loss if it meant a change in manager. As they say, life would be boring of we were all the same).

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He is 9th highest paid manager last season after the top 6 teams, Rodgers and Lage. he was on more than Moyes, Frank, Potter(at Brighton)

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is 9th highest paid manager last season after the top 6 teams, Rodgers and Lage. he was on more than Moyes, Frank, Potter(at Brighton)

He's on the same as Moyes, Rodgers, Arteta, Lampard and Parker (before he was sacked), and less than Hassenhutl. 

Has "typical Villa defeat" written all over this tonight.

We are unbeaten in 3, they are rock bottom and on a run of 6 defeats,

"Villa no-show" is nearly always the outcome in those circumstances. I am surrounded by Forest fans at work here in the East Mids, who magically appeared from nowhere when they got promoted... as it happens.

They were all saying after the defeat to Leicester "Oh well we'll win the next one against his lot" then nodding towards my direction. Sad thing is I really couldn't disagree!

If it means Gerrard gone and someone of Pochettino's ilk coming in then so be it although like most I really don't think it would impact that eventuality regardless, so I hope we win and get away from that relegation zone.

41 minutes ago, WHY said:

If any team in the league could hand pick a team to play to end a bad run I’m pretty sure it would be us. Think Forest and their fans will be up for it, Forest to win!

Just had a wee look at one of their forums, and in their match thread they seem up for this one.   

I'd imagine their stadium will be packed and bouncing, this will not be an easy game, we know most of our players cave under the slightest bit of pressure.  If they take an early lead what is our gameplan?

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ll be surprised if we know our game plan at the start of the game, never mind if they score first.

All this talk "if we win, we're 9th", but nobody has mentioned if we lose, we are only a point ahead of Forest 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Are Bournemouth a basket case or Sevilla, RB Leipzig, Wolves or Chelsea 

Why would be some embarrassing basket case for sacking somebody out of the depth. Would you prefer we kept some League 2 level player at the club because releasing him would make people laugh at us? What's the difference

This is Villa we are talking about.

It is often widely regarded by professional footballers and writers of the game that it is unwise to change managers of a football team with great regularity. Especially when we are talking about implementing a philosophy, strategy, ethic etc. Prospective new managers WILL look at how long Gerrard has had to work with what he has and then recruit new players. Again many within the game highlight three to four transfer windows to get their own players in. What is hugely disappointing for us (and Gerrard) is that two of his main signings are injured so he's back to what he had before...

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i disagree

we will be labelled a basket case by his media mates who dont watch us play (even then carragher has called us out twice this season already for poor football) but statistically over a longer period of time we make for grim reading, any kind of in-depth analysis would show gerrard up, the problem is no one does that in depth analysis because no one cares, instead we'll get the opinions of insiders like gabby and danny murphy, if gerrard stays until the WC i think one of the miserable bastards will stick his head above the parapet and go for him, keane or souness go on the type of rant that lad bible exists for

the world cup makes logical sense but only if behind the scenes the club have put the feelers out, if leicester sack rodgers which also feels inevitable and they get poch (i dont think they will but it's just an example) then us waiting starts to look worse, us sticking depends on who twists

Gerrard has been here under one year, it is still early days as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

A valid point I've not seen mentioned before.    

Thanks. I cannot remember where I first heard this, I'm sure it was an ex-Manager who said they don't just jump into the job without understanding the situation and how long the owners will give them. Certain managers will not go to certain clubs because of their impatience with former managers and knee-jerk, panic reactions etc.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

No, I want somebody in that has time to assess the squad over the coming games to then plan during the WC for the second half of the season.  Bringing in somebody during the WC will have players missing, won’t know a lot of the players, it’ll waste a transfer window so we’ll be starting from scratch when footy returns.  I think the WC break is the worst time to make a change.  If they (surely) are going to move on from Gerrard, then give the new manager time to assess the team now so the WC break can be used effectively and make us ready for the rest of the season.

Yeah that felt like he was trying to justify keeping Gerrard, just excuse after excuse rather than saying any positives.

That’s great but then he has to coach them and the others and that’s his problem. Fantastic at recruitment, poor at coaching.

The same Talksport section talked about how Villa are struggling as well as Forest, that’s the category we are being rightly perceived in.  I’m not sure anybody would care apart from some of his media buddies because people in the media are talking about how we had a poor end to the season and again are struggling.  Plus I don’t care what they think.

Or they see our players and the club and think they could easily improve us slightly without major work and will be working in the PL and a very nice wage.

I want Villa to win but I want Gerrard gone because I think he’s holding us back the longer he stays. 

Unless Gerrard loses tonight he will be here for at least The World Cup.

It isn't justifying anything, what unites most professional footballers, managers and writers on the subject is patience, time and perseverance. These are the people who work in football their whole lives and their opinion is much more valid.

That is where I am too, patience is an important part of life in general and Villa fans are particularly impatient.

Yeah we've struggled a bit but a win against Forest puts us ninth, that is tolerable and a basis to build upon. Having our two major signings crocked has messed us up!

Whilst he's here I want us to win, I wanted us to win under McLeish, Garde etc. I'm an optimist and hope Villa can turn it around.

A win tonight and we are four unbeaten, two wins and two draws.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
Typo

I want Villa to win 6 nil tonight and I want us to play beautiful free flowing football with coutinho rediscovering prime Liverpool form and ripping Forest to pieces.  I want Gerards plan to suddenly click into place and all the players to suddenly buy into it with every players form going through the roof.  I want the formation to work with our fullbacks providing all the width we require in attack whilst remaining solid at the back.  I really hope that happens every time I start watching a match.

It won't though.  because it can't.  it just isn't possible.  Whilst Gerard is here we will continue to play poor scrappy football irrespective of the opposition.  The players will gradually deteriate as they struggle to play a nonsense formation with the better players sitting on the bench ignored.  

So I'll take what is served up and hope it isn't always going to be this shite.  If we win great, who knows maybe Gerard is a genius, if we lose so be it as long as the board do something about it.

If I knew for sure that a loss would see Gerrard sacked I'd take it. 

No-one wishes Glen Whelan had scored his penalty and saved Steve Bruce - and then Deano came and the rest is history.

Tonight is one game, the bigger picture here is that Gerrard is dragging the club down and the long term interests of the club would be better served without him.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

It doesn’t really make any sense, there’s nothing early about sacking Gerrard. Saying ‘this far into the season’ suggests he started in August and not last November. Did Chelsea sacking Tuchel after 6 games put off Potter?

would it put you off buying the winning lottery ticket, if there was a fight outside the shop?

Potter is made for life.....however, he performs.

Edited by TRO

Â