Transfer Failures (or mis-management?), over the last 3 years

MaVilla

Since selling Grealish there's been no plan for the future of Aston Villa Football Club. its always been about the present rather then the future

Lange Out, Purslow Out. Gerrard Out.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Flops: Digne, Barkley, Tuanzebe

That's ridiculous. Digne has had a lot of injuries but registered four assists in 24. He's the starting French LB. He's an upgrade on Targett however you try and spin it. A flop he is not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That's ridiculous. Digne has had a lot of injuries but registered four assists in 24. He's the starting French LB. He's an upgrade on Targett however you try and spin it. A flop he is not.

He didnt even make the initial last French squad so not sure where you get starting left back from. He has been dreadful since we paid big money for him from Everton reserve team

Augustinsson in his very brief appearances looks better

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Digne not been a great sigining at all. not an upgrade on Targett. High wages aswell

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He didnt even make the initial last French squad so not sure where you get starting left back from. He has been dreadful since we paid big money for him from Everton reserve team

Augustinsson in his very brief appearances looks better

Sorry, you can't seriously write statements like that and expect that to be a valid counterpoint. Why was he in the reserves? Because Rafa hated him. He started the two Nations League games against Croatia before his injury. He's been a consistent feature as the starting or rotating LB for France - don't twist it because you don't like him. It's just petty.

A few bad peformances don't undermine what quality he brings to the team.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Sorry, you can't seriously write statements like that and expect that to be a valid counterpoint. Why was he in the reserves? Because Rafa hated him. He started the two Nations League games against Croatia before his injury. He's been a consistent feature as the starting or rotating LB for France - don't twist it because you don't like him. It's just petty.

A few bad peformances don't undermine what quality he brings to the team.

Name the good performances from him? He has brought very little quality so far and is weak defensively

Rafa didnt hate him he just thought he was a poor player which he is, Everton werent exactly disappointed he left. He is also 3rd choice French left back after Mendy and Theo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Lange is responsible for transfer strategy - he produces the data, the shortlists, identifies players that might work, evaluates those that the manager like. Purslow then makes the deals. 

It's weird that we have threads on Lange's job that are focused on sacking the manager or the Chief Exec.

By all means sack the manager for the performances on the pitch and if you feel it's necessary, sack the CEO if the bottom line isn't growing, but on this one, Lange leads the way.

Do you think Lange brought Ings, Digne, Coutinho and big DC to the table? I don't.

He suddenly wanted these more experienced players that, in theory, could be relied on?

They were signed by Purslow and Gerrard and have all (unfortunately in the case of Carlos) not been worth the time or money. We will likely release them all at the end of their contract for nothing, having not got much value out of them.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Lange is the head of football.

I'd always assumed he was just the head scout.

What would make him decide that the "promising youth" strategy he started under Smith should suddenly be "experienced players only" under Gerrard?

If that is on Lange, then it's clear he has no plan and needs to go.

Bailey and Buendia were logical signings. Post Grealish we needed some more ball carriers in the team who could chip in with 5-10 a season and those two showed they could do that at previous clubs. Bailey was doing well in europa league so not like we dug him out from Turkey or Belgium.

Exactly the sort of players others in our mid table position would target imo especially with their ages. 

Neither have worked out that well so far but still hope the next manager could get both into a coherent attacking system.

Ings was the big puzzle for me. In summer 2021 we really need a forward who could drop to left when needed, similar profile to Jarred Bowen and Son yet we signed a guy in late 20s with endless injuries and who can only really fit into team centrally.

Not like we can just sell him easily for 20m either so just a bad fit for what we needed.

And not signing another CM on top of Kamara in the summer wasn't good enough either and it's costing us yet another season of progress.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Lange is responsible for transfer strategy - he produces the data, the shortlists, identifies players that might work, evaluates those that the manager like. Purslow then makes the deals. 

It's weird that we have threads on Lange's job that are focused on sacking the manager or the Chief Exec.

By all means sack the manager for the performances on the pitch and if you feel it's necessary, sack the CEO if the bottom line isn't growing, but on this one, Lange leads the way.

Surely it's a mix and match with transfer policy?

If we make six signings every window then seems to me three are request of head coach/manager and three are ones Lange sourced.

Guys like Augustinsson, Olsen would be cheap targets just to bolster the squad Lange would pursue and Digne and Coutinho were obviously ones Gerrard really wanted and club were happy to go with it.

Was it different under Suso then as no one with straight face can tell me we used all these endless metrics to scout and measure player output....and yet within 12 months Konsa, Jota and Watkins all turned up who all happened to play under Dean Smith.

It's actually the same at most clubs...think Guardiola's first signing was Claudio bravo at Man. City, Sarri signed Jorginho at Chelsea who he'd coached for years at Napoli and Arteta is getting in players he coached at Man. City hence the Luiz interest.

Edited by VillaChris

To me, Lange seems sidelined. I reacted to quotes from Purslow in February where he referred to a chat with SG about signing older players.

Also, when I talked about Steven giving his initial feedback, he said, 'Look, I'd like to take the age profile up a little bit. We were the youngest average-age starting team in the league last season. I'd like to have proven winners'.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-purslow-22947333.amp

To me it sounds like Gerrard wanted to tweak the transfer policy towards older, established players and Purslow gave a green light. Not sure Lange has much influence on anything since Gerrard arrived (maybe he never had).

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 2

It is Mis-Management by Manager for my options. as present near lots of players are very good player in our squads, they are top 10 materials type.

Ie: We lost Grealish one of key our tactical and style, that stranger sign Ings sign i think it is reason Shakespeare prefer player 2 forwards (not Smith but Smith on boat of him) that cost his job. to replacement Grealish which wrong type as when should look for similar Grealish type - rather forward.

Ie: Gerrard didn't play wingers when we have very good winger in dept, Bailey, Traore, Buendia (he can play ACM/CM), even youth player. That reason they are waste money - sign.  yet he also don't use his 4-3-2-1 system when Buendia and Coutinho is one best options yet he never use this, even C.C. Back up yet never use,

he that switch to 4-3-1-2 which make thing worse, that back to 4-3-2-1. when we should try 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 which our squad have these player better result. yet it is manager mismanagement also favouritism, when we could have play Sanson/Ramsey and Luiz with DM will make better balance. yet keep McGinn. who fault? It is Manager as he didn't identities player suit his system. KHH would good back up rather Young cos he is fit his system yet let go also Gulibert is prefect for his system yet not use him rather keep young player.

who fault? Manager.

Ie: Lange/Purlsow fault somehow - Dendoncker (When we have Marvellous as back up would be good if he sold and replace him will accept as he can play CB and DM like Kamara good back up) but we keep Marvellous it is waste money and wage. 

Ie; Purlsow fault allowed manager not experience who know how to use player right and right position, right system, right formation, tactical plan. as we have players is very great level, if elite manager will happy with these squad will help top 10 easy yet hire not experience premiership it is cause mess.

Ie: Gerrard don't play winger, why keep winger and would better rid all of them to save money. or use ACM as Winger roles in case i think it is will be ok as skill have but pace required for counter attack.

that why most of signal point to manager fault and partible fault - Purslow. 

Rid of Purslow and Lange, Gerrard, fresh start, stop use Sport Director and let manager want buy and sell, and his own player if he there to support and help i will be ok with. so we know it is manager fault as his own decide.

We were on the right track…..signing Ollie, Matty Cash etc.

We we’re developing an identity.

We have now decided that our identity should be aligned with Steven Gerard's.

This will be the inevitable reason for our success or downfall.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

To me, Lange seems sidelined. I reacted to quotes from Purslow in February where he referred to a chat with SG about signing older players.

Also, when I talked about Steven giving his initial feedback, he said, 'Look, I'd like to take the age profile up a little bit. We were the youngest average-age starting team in the league last season. I'd like to have proven winners'.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-purslow-22947333.amp

To me it sounds like Gerrard wanted to tweak the transfer policy towards older, established players and Purslow gave a green light. Not sure Lange has much influence on anything since Gerrard arrived (maybe he never had).

“Proven winner” has to be my least favourite football cliche, one of many 

4 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

We were on the right track…..signing Ollie, Matty Cash etc.

We we’re developing an identity.

We have now decided that our identity should be aligned with Steven Gerard's.

This will be the inevitable reason for our success or downfall.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the SG "identity" is stubborn reliance on 4-3-3 variations with a dysfunctional midfield.

On 09/10/2022 at 08:41, messi11 said:

Digne not been a great sigining at all. not an upgrade on Targett. High wages aswell

Which Targett, the 2020-21 version or the 2021-22 pre-transfer Villa version? Digne was certainly an upgrade on the latter. (I can't comment about 2021-22 post-transfer because I haven't seen much of Newcastle.)

16 hours ago, TomC said:

Which Targett, the 2020-21 version or the 2021-22 pre-transfer Villa version? Digne was certainly an upgrade on the latter. (I can't comment about 2021-22 post-transfer because I haven't seen much of Newcastle.)

20-21 season he was voted players player of the year. Digne is an upgrade but it wasn't a massive upgrade and we had other areas improving before Targets. 

As soon as Purslow spouted that 3 players to replace Grealish bollox we was doomed for transfer failures, it was embarrassing at the time tbh. 

3 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I'm not sure it is. (Plus it's spoken about all the time)

Key areas to strengthen in the summer...CB and CDM. Kamara and Carlos come in. 

(Not to mention attempts for Bissouma and Bentancur which shows we know the quality that is needed)

Back up GK and LBs...Olsen and Augustinsson.

All of those were done right at the start of the window to allow as much time in pre-season as possible.

Previous year, Grealish goes and we get Buendia and Bailey in for creativity, Ings for an extra striker as we only had Davis and Samatta. They all made sense at the time.

The biggest problem circles back to the point that the players we have brought in aren't being used in a system that fits their qualities/cancels out weaknesses.

I've said this in a couple of posts...the only big mistake Purslow will make is if he sticks with Gerrard much longer. 

Starting a key season with Wesley and Davis as our only fit strikers. 

Replacing Jack with Buendia, Bailey and Ings. 

Signing the likes of Trez and Traore and then hiring a manager who doesn't play wingers. 

Our recruitment hasn't been great. It should be questioned for the money we've invested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A managerial appointment mid season should always be one of a contract til the end of the season then review things. The fact he seemed we should give a rookie such an opulent contract is simply a disgrace. Sherwood had more prem managerial experience for christ sake!

Edited by stewiek2

Â